Thread: Cards Waive Bye to Bigbie, Cali

Default Cards Waive Bye to Bigbie, Cali

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=stl

Bigbie and Cali both waived to free up space on the 40 man roster. Blake Hawksworth, Dennis Dove, Troy Cate and Cody Haerther added to the 40 man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft.
    Would it be okay with you if we wrote a reminder of things we'd forget to do today otherwise, using a green magic marker (if it's alright), on the back of your head?

Default Re: Cards Waive Bye to Bigbie, Cali

kinda surprised at both moves. Cali has potential as either a closer or a loogy. bigbie used to be loved by walt and surprised that walt didn't try to force him to tlr.

I'm sure Cali has lots of potential. Unfortunately for him, he also sucks. At least at any level above AA.

Cate is the interesting name of the group. He allowed just 24 hits in 57 IP between AA and High A. While he's pretty old to be playing at that level (he'll be 26 next season), those numbers are good enough to still be intriguing.
    Would it be okay with you if we wrote a reminder of things we'd forget to do today otherwise, using a green magic marker (if it's alright), on the back of your head?

It's hard to justify a lot of roster room for loogys when you've already got spots going to Tyler Johnson and Randy Flores. I think I'm forgetting another one, but even if I'm not - you don't want 10% of your roster space to guys that might be best serverd facing one batter at a time.
    “When that ball flew over our heads, I turned to Mike Mason, our bullpen coach, and said, 'That's why they pay that guy 100 million bucks.' ”

Bigbie was a gigantic disappointment.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Good to see Hawksworth added to the 40 man roster. Lets hope we see something of him next year in the majors

When is Dove supposed to make the big leagues? I remember reading stuff about him when he was drafted, out of SIU or SIUE I think, but I don't remember anything about him.

Cali had no control. He was basically supposed to have Flores' spot in the pen starting a couple years ago, but he walks too many guys. Tony loves his lefties, I'm sure if he wanted to keep him around that he'd have gotten Walt to
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest."
    -- Thomas Paine

Dove's probably at least a year off. He's performed well in relief at High A and in the AFL, but struggled at AA.