Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

  1. #1

    Bears OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    With the latest episode of the Maurice Clarett soap opera hitting the airwaves...I am curious to know everyone's opinion on the situation that initiated Mr. Claretts downward spiral. Although I'm sure this question has probably been discussed in some form on this board, the question remains:

    Should these kids be allowed in the NFL?

    The current NFL regulations require a player to either be out of high school for three years or have finished three college football seasons before joining the league. (Lupica, M. 2004) The NFL is the only major professional sport that prohibits the drafting of players who have not completed three college seasons or who are not three years removed from high school graduation (Gehring, 2004; Nieporent 2004). The NFL claims that this rule is in the athlete's best interest. The NFL argues that this rule protects player’s physical safety.

    Opponents of the issue claim that injury is the biggest reason kids should not be forced to wait to enter the draft. They claim these individuals have a right to support themselves and their families, and that waiting puts them at extended risk for injury.

    In my opinion (which counts for very little), I believe these kids SHOULD be made to wait. I am all for supporting yourself and your family but I side with the NFL for the following reasons:
    • VERY FEW of these kids are physically ready at 18. There is an important phase of development that occurs when we stop growing vertically and add muscle mass, density, and bone strength. Kids at this stage cannot withstand the punishment dished out in the NFL.
    • EVEN FEWER of them are ready mentally. Jumping from a high school scenario to being a millionaire NFL player is too great a leap. College provides an important time for young athletes to mature. I know that those who disagree with this statement are going to point to leagues like the NBA and the few high-school-to-pro success stories...but those are few and far between.
    • These kids haven't proven SHIT....even those who have played 1-2 years of college ball. They've shown potential to be sure....but what about traits like durability, perserverence, patience, and committment? If you want me to blow millions on a twenty year- old...I'd like to see some more please. Especially from those wanting to jump right out of high school. Can anyone tell me that the high school game even REMOTELY resembles the college game....much less the NFL?
    Thoughts?

    Sayers, Payton, Anderson ??? <-----------Forte--------------------> ??? Salaam, Enis, Benson


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Omaha,NE
    Posts
    9,907

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    I like that young men are made to wait for the 3 year rule but I really don't give a shit. If you have a young man physically/mentally ready (rare) then sign his ass up. Clarett is a fuck up and he'll be a fuck up when he's 40 so his age dosent really matter.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    39,333

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    I think that all athletes should spend some time in college before playing a sport professionally.

    As you mentioned, this is a very critical time in terms of mental and physical development that is very much needed in the life of a professional athlete.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    On the twisty slide of life
    Posts
    15,199

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    I believe that every American has a right to fall on his/her face. Major universities should not even admit a significant portion of the athletes that attend. A seperate entity, not tied to education, should be created for such people. If they choose to get a free education (actually much more than just free as they ARE paid to play football) then I salute them for making a smart move. If not, then it's their choice to make.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    First State
    Posts
    47,063

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    Quote Originally Posted by beareezyfaneezy
    I think that all athletes should spend some time in college before playing a sport professionally.

    As you mentioned, this is a very critical time in terms of mental and physical development that is very much needed in the life of a professional athlete.
    In college, or in a developmental league.

    In my opinion, while every person has a right to earn a living, that doesn't mean that they necessarily should be able to make THAT living.

    'Earn a living' includes flipping burgers.

    An age restriction, while maybe not being an essential requirement for working as a player, is good for the league (and should be, for all leagues).

    Here's an idea. If a kid wants to go earlier, have them take extra courses and graduate HS early.
    If the only tool you have in your toolbox is a hammer, soon everything starts to look like a nail.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    On the twisty slide of life
    Posts
    15,199

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    And as far as the drafting, a team makes the decision to draft a person. If the tea, feels the particular player is not ready for any reason then they have the option to pass on them. IMO, this will actually lead to a creation of an alternative to college football as owners would be forced to create a 'mino league' to house the players as they mature, both physically and mentally.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    39,333

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    Quote Originally Posted by domenick2x
    In college, or in a developmental league.

    In my opinion, while every person has a right to earn a living, that doesn't mean that they necessarily should be able to make THAT living.

    'Earn a living' includes flipping burgers.

    An age restriction, while maybe not being an essential requirement for working as a player, is good for the league (and should be, for all leagues).

    Here's an idea. If a kid wants to go earlier, have them take extra courses and graduate HS early.
    The only thing that kept me from mentioning the developmental league is that I feel it would be lacking in some areas where college can help a person in terms of the mental aspect.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    On the twisty slide of life
    Posts
    15,199

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    Quote Originally Posted by beareezyfaneezy
    The only thing that kept me from mentioning the developmental league is that I feel it would be lacking in some areas where college can help a person in terms of the mental aspect.
    College can only help someone who is willing to be helped.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    First State
    Posts
    47,063

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    Quote Originally Posted by beareezyfaneezy
    The only thing that kept me from mentioning the developmental league is that I feel it would be lacking in some areas where college can help a person in terms of the mental aspect.
    I'm looking more globally than just the NFL.

    For example, the Minors in baseball.

    The NBA ought to have an age restriction, just like the NFL. MLB could consider an age restriction, but as there is already a developmental league in place, it allows teams to acquire prospects and only bring the top tier into the Big Show.
    If the only tool you have in your toolbox is a hammer, soon everything starts to look like a nail.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,428

    Bears Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    He was drafted and didnt make it.

    Instead of trying to make it in Canada or the Arena league or soemthing, this is what happened.

    I dont think the age should be lowered due to the physical nature of the NFL.



    T.T.Y.L. Greg

    THEY SAY WE CAN'T!
    WHO CARES WHAT THEY SAY?
    NOT ME BABY, NOT ME!
    GO BEARS!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    39,333

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    Quote Originally Posted by domenick2x
    I'm looking more globally than just the NFL.

    For example, the Minors in baseball.

    The NBA ought to have an age restriction, just like the NFL. MLB could consider an age restriction, but as there is already a developmental league in place, it allows teams to acquire prospects and only bring the top tier into the Big Show.
    I agree totally on the NBA.

    MLB is kind of a rare bird in that I don't see a problem with youngins going early because they seem to have a pretty solid method of developing players, and I don't see MLB as being as physically demanding as the NFL or NBA.


  12. #12

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    College gives these kids options that a developmental league would not provide. While I agree that players still need to attend classes and pay attention...at least the option is there.

    Otherwise, what happens when they fall on their faces? What happens in MLB when these kids don't make it to the bigs? (I'm really asking, I honestly have no idea).

    College gives them a fallback position to utilize if their NFL dreams don't pan out. And since most of them don't, it seems to me that college is a better alternative than a developmental league.

    Sayers, Payton, Anderson ??? <-----------Forte--------------------> ??? Salaam, Enis, Benson


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    On the twisty slide of life
    Posts
    15,199

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Walter
    College gives these kids options that a developmental league would not provide. While I agree that players still need to attend classes and pay attention...at least the option is there.

    Otherwise, what happens when they fall on their faces? What happens in MLB when these kids don't make it to the bigs? (I'm really asking, I honestly have no idea).
    When they fall on their faces then they are right back to where the other 99.9% of the population are, forced to figure out what to do with thier lives, including paying for the education to get them there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Walter
    College gives them a fallback position to utilize if their NFL dreams don't pan out. And since most of them don't, it seems to me that college is a better alternative than a developmental league.
    College indeed gives them a fallback, but only if they take advantage of it by getting a real degree. I believe that any smart athlete would take advantage of this. However, there are also many athleates who are not taking advantage of the option for an education and as a result are costing thier colleges/universities millions of dollars in expenses.....which are then passed on to the bills of the regular student.

  14. #14

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    Quote Originally Posted by PaytonPaw
    College indeed gives them a fallback, but only if they take advantage of it by getting a real degree. I believe that any smart athlete would take advantage of this. However, there are also many athleates who are not taking advantage of the option for an education and as a result are costing thier colleges/universities millions of dollars in expenses.....which are then passed on to the bills of the regular student.
    The cost would be the same whether they took advantage of college or not....but yes....boneheads who don't take advantage are wasting resources. Of course, there are plenty of college kids who do that without playing football.

    This is why I appreciate schools who make an effort to get kids an education. While all schools slide to a certain degree, some genuinely try to provide educations while others are just football factories.

    Sayers, Payton, Anderson ??? <-----------Forte--------------------> ??? Salaam, Enis, Benson


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    39,333

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Walter
    This is why I appreciate schools who make an effort to get kids an education. While all schools slide to a certain degree, some genuinely try to provide educations while others are just football factories.
    Like IU.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Venice Beach
    Posts
    1,266

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    I believe anyone should have the right to try and make it in anything you go for, if you can go to war at 18 you should be able to Play and try out for what ever within the rules set up by each governing body......with that being said, i also think the NFL has got it right by not allowing kids in the NFL, i don't want the league as waterd down as Basket ball is

    Clarette was an idiot he should of stayed in College but no he saw $$$ got bad advice and look where it got him, that Loser is the true meaning of waste of talent.
    If you Dont Like It go back to Russia!!

    BearDown!

  17. #17

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    Quote Originally Posted by beareezyfaneezy
    Like IU.
    That is the rare case of a school that fails to provide an education AND a football program.


    Sayers, Payton, Anderson ??? <-----------Forte--------------------> ??? Salaam, Enis, Benson


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    39,333

    Default Re: OT: Should Youngins be Allowed in the NFL?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Walter
    That is the rare case of a school that fails to provide an education AND a football program.

    Coach Hep is working on the second part.

    Alledgedly the brass are working on the first part as well.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •