Thread: Lance Lynn

Cardinals Lance Lynn

Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak recently met with starting pitcher Lance Lynn to discuss Lynn’s future with the team, which is “fluid,” Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes. The Rockies, Royals and perhaps Astros could have interest in Lynn, so a trade is possible, particularly if the 47-49 Cardinals fall further out of the playoff race. But they could also keep him and make a run at the playoffs. Lynn has played with the Cardinals throughout his six-year career. This season, he has a 3.30 ERA, 7.9 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 114 innings. He’s eligible for free agency next winter.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Default Re: Lance Lynn

Trade his ass immediately.

He's gonna want 100 million bucks, he's not worth it. He's going to leave. We have Reyes. We have Weaver. We could use the young talent back in return.
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

• Goold also notes that Cardinals righty Lance Lynn has been the “topic of ongoing discussions with other teams” and points out that both Lynn and minor league right-hander Luke Weaver are lined up to start on Tuesday of this week. While there have been no indications that a deal involving Lynn is especially close to fruition, Weaver would be able to step into his spot on usual rest if the Cards do line up a Lynn trade in short order.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

I don't mind trading him, but I think people need to keep in perspective what we're likely to get back for him. He's a middle aged SP coming off tommy john surgery whose in his last year of a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by residenceevil View Post
    I don't mind trading him, but I think people need to keep in perspective what we're likely to get back for him. He's a middle aged SP coming off tommy john surgery whose in his last year of a contract.
    And that's gonna be a huge issue with people and they're gonna need to get over it. Something is better than nothing. I suppose if you let him walk you can get a pick for him but I'd rather get some talent immediately and see what happens.
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Honestly, Lynn is expendable. The Yankees, Dodgers and Astros all need a starter and have deep farm systems. Trade Lynn for at least one good prospect.

Buster Olney‏
    @Buster_ESPN

Other teams waiting for clear indication from Cards on whether they intend to trade Lance Lynn. Among most coveted SP in market.
    3:44 PM - 28 Jul 2017

I think the Cardinals need to shop Lynn. But... it has to be for a couple GOOD prospects. We would get a 1st even if we didn't trade him, there's no point in taking something that isn't substantially better than that.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

It's great that his value is high but seriously we're only 3.5 outta first and are one game under .500

Is it even smart to trade him whenever Waino is hurting too? I mean do you start Lyons along with Weaver?

Maybe not, but we are 1 game under .500...

Assuming right now we have about a 1 in 4 chance of making the playoffs (and I think it is probably less than that), we might be better served improving the team for the future.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

And that's the issue...where does Mo see the team? Contender or pretender? We're kinda stuck in the middle.