Thread: Dead line approaching

Braves Dead line approaching

Braves to sellers or buyers or just trading partners trying to improve for the '18 season???

List of possible trade pieces -- MLBTR

Value of most to be determined. One name missing IMO is Jaime Garcia. The pitchers named have a decreasing value as season wears on, IMO.

Braves: Jim Johnson, Arodys Vizcaino, R.A. Dickey, Julio Teheran, Matt Adams, Matt Kemp, Nick Markakis, Brandon Phillips & Kurt Suzuki

Oh, I've slipped the surly bonds of earth,
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings......

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Default Re: Dead line approaching

Motte's name is missing from list. Of course, he's not worth a well used, wet rosin bag.

Have seen no mention of Adonis Garcia. With Camargo playing very well at 3 different IF positions, mostly 3rd,and Freddie moving to 3rd, is Adonis on the market?

After the past few series, specifically the Nats series, it is apparent that the Braves need to rebuild their BP just like the Mets, Nats and several other teams need to do.

Jim Johnson has lost most of his value, as has Ramirez and Vizcaino. Krol has hit rock bottom as has Motte and Brothers. The only 2 that are more or less consistent right now are S. Freeman and Jackson. Braves relievers with 21 saves and 9 losses. Braves have 16 blown saves in addition to the 9 losses. 25 possible wins vs 21 saves is not a good ratio.

More on the Johnson down fall. Good article from Tomahawk Take. Includes talk on other BP guys and how they have come and gone.

http://tomahawktake.com/2017/07/08/i...on-done-95786/

My mid season trades would include Kemp, Adams, Phillips, and Johnson. To whom and return would be a big question.

Kemp to an AL team looking for RH power bat at DH. Return would be very questionable. Some mid level prospects would be my guess.

Adams would garner more as a LH power bat. Yanks would be a starting point as they might be interested in Johnson as well. Higher level prospects would be targeted.

Phillips would get a good package in return. He has proven to be a great clubhouse guy as well as a stellar player in the field. Not sure who would be a good trade partner.

Johnson would be the most in demand for BP help, not only as a closer but late innings guy. Good prospects would be a return.

IMO, Carmago needs to be in the lineup every day, and with Rodriquez on a fast track return that moves Freddie back to 1st. Getting rid of Kemp would open the door a little wider for Acuna. Lane Adams and Santana could fill that spot until Acuna could be called up in Sept.

A decent return in prospects might give the Braves a big enough package along with Julio or Garcia and preferably Sims, Wisler, Medlen, Blair and newly gained prospects et al, to get either Gray or Archer.

I think we'll see them try to buy/sell. I think the bigger names will go only if the next 2 wks go horribly or we are getting a huge premium.

I'll post more later, am at the game tonight.

Slink said --
    I'll post more later, am at the game tonight.

I hope to make it to one game this year. Enjoy the game. You've been to several games, where are your favorite seats??

With Swanson failing badly, both in the field and especially with the bat, WTF is going on with Coppy/Hart's thinking ---are they putting all their eggs in one basket?? Rodriques?? Camargo can't play both SS and 2B at the same time.

The Braves aren’t done looking for a controllable starter after missing on Jose Quintana, per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (linkstoTwitter). Atlanta pushed hard for the southpaw, per the report, with the team dangling Ozzie Albies as a headliner — though Passan’s source makes clear that talks never reached an advanced stage. It’s interesting to hear that Albies was offered up, but that was surely a prerequisite to get in the door on Quintana. Whether the intriguing young middle infielder could also be on the block in trade concepts involving other pitchers isn’t clear, but it seems that the Braves are still looking to be aggressive in adding arms for 2018 and beyond.

More on Vizcaino trade talk ---

• Braves righty Arodys Vizcaino could well factor in trade talks as well. He’s throwing off a mound today and seemingly won’t be far off from a return, per David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (via Twitter). It had been a bit unclear just when he’d return, but it seems as if the talented — if somewhat enigmatic — reliever ought to have plenty of time to display his form for possible suitors. Veteran right-hander Jason Motte, though, may be headed in the other direction. MLB.com’s Mark Bowman tweets that Motte is heading to the DL with a back strain. He may have held some interest to contenders, though his peripherals lagged his results in Atlanta (and the ERA had begun to creep northward anyway).

And on Phillips in a poor demand market for 2B.

Rentals
    Brandon Phillips, Braves | $1MM in 2017 (Reds pay remainder of $14MM salary)
    Phillips could surely be had if there’s demand; while the Braves are in second place in the NL East, they face very long odds of reaching the postseason. Still, the organization clearly likes the idea of keeping a competitive product on the field, so it may not dump Phillips for a marginal return. The 36-year-old has fallen back to a rather typical .280/.326/.411 batting line for the year, making him a useful player but not a first-division regular. Also, Phillips can still block trades to a dozen teams and has been rather picky in the past.

Braves have scouts in Detriot Sat and Sun. Say it ain't so!!!! Scouting Verlander on Sat???? Fulmer on Sun makes more sense.

Most trade have featured Albies as the main trade chip. With Swanson struggling at Single A level in Atl. I'd be weary of trading Albies, evven if Rodriquez is ready in a week or so. Maitan is still 2 years minimum away. Swanson should be nicknamed "Capt Caveman" (sliders are eating him up). IMO, he'll never be more than a .260 hitter.

WHY would the Braves be interested in Profar????

The Braves are among teams with interest in Rangers infielder/outfielder Jurickson Profar, who is seemingly available, reports FanRag’s Jon Heyman. The Rangers are looking for pitching, suggests Heyman, who notes that the Braves have a potentially on-the-move veteran in Jaime Garcia at the big league level and plenty of arms in the minors.
    [RELATED: Atlanta Braves News & Rumors on Facebook]
    Profar was one of the premier prospects in baseball only a few years ago, but injuries and poor performance have damaged his stock in recent seasons. The 24-year-old has thus far amassed 718 trips to the plate in the majors, and he has hit a weak .229/.309/.329 during that span. Profar has spent most of this year at Triple-A Round Rock, where he has batted .300/.380/.438 in 231 plate appearances. That’s far better than the .172/.294/.207 line he has produced in 70 PAs this season with the Rangers.
    Despite his unimpressive track record in the majors, Profar still offers youth, switch-hitting capability and defensive versatility, having appeared in between 19 and 57 contests at first base, second base, shortstop, third base and left field during 180 appearances in Texas. He’s also cheap this year (his salary is just north of $1MM) and controllable via arbitration through 2019. And given the Braves’ interest, it’s worth noting that president of baseball operations John Hart was in the Rangers’ front office when they signed Profar as an international free agent in 2009.

Braves make 1st BIG deadline deal --- HaHa

The Rays have struck a deal to acquire righty Chaz Roe from the Braves, per Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com (via Twitter). Cash considerations will go to Atlanta in return, per Tommy Stokke of Fan Rag (Twitter link).

Matt Adams to stay a Brave thru deadline. IMO, the Braves made a mistake sending Lane Adams down to clear a spot fot Vizcaino. Swanson would have been a better choice IMO.

The Braves are informing rival organizations that they expect to hold onto first baseman Matt Adams through the trade deadline, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports on Twitter.
    Adams has generally been viewed as a plausible trade chip, and perhaps still would be if the right offer came along. But the Braves need not strike a deal, owing to Adams’s remaining control (one more year, via arbitration) and the team’s surprising decision to play Freddie Freeman at third base.
    Though Adams, 28, has cooled somewhat at the plate since his torrid opening with the Braves, he’s still providing steady offensive production over the month of July. He has been nothing short of outstanding over the course of his 199 plate appearances since arriving from the Cardinals, slashing .284/.332/.596 with 14 home runs.
    That said, the resurgent slugger has continued to struggle against left-handed pitching, and he has seen the bench when southpaws take the hill. And there are more alternatives now with Sean Rodriguez back from the DL. So long as the Braves trust Freeman at third, though, Adams remains an interesting part of the roster. With demand seemingly on the light side, the Braves may simply hold Adams to see how the Freeman experiment pans out over the second half — with the team’s offseason approach to be adjusted accordingly.

Garcia to Twinkies. Return ?????????

8:24pm: Minnesota is “very likely” to take over all of Garcia’s remaining salary (about $4.7MM), per 1500 ESPN’s Darren Wolfson (via Twitter).
    7:42pm: For what it’s worth, Garcia is still in a Braves’ uniform tonight, Kevin McAlpin of the Braves Radio Network tweets. Of course, that doesn’t mean the deal isn’t nearing completion; he isn’t scheduled to start until tomorrow.
    6:44pm: It’s possible the Twins will be receiving an additional player in the deal, per LaVelle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune (via Twitter), though it seems that’d likely be a lower-level player of some kind.

Blair was scheduled to start at Gwinnett tonight but was scratched. Is he on the way to West coast to take the roster spot of Garcia?? Will he start tomorrow(Sat)????

Still don't know who the Braves will get in return for Garcia.

9:32am: Teams besides the Twins are still talking to the Braves about Garcia, MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand reports (via Twitter). It isn’t known who the other clubs in the mix are, though earlier today, MLB.com’s Mark Bowman tweeted that the Astros and Royals were two of the the teams that had previously shown interest in Garcia. Kansas City, however, now appears to be more focused on acquiring a right-handed starter.

3:04pm: It is still possible that the Twins will acquire Garcia, though MLB.com’s Mark Bowman reports that such a trade is “not probable.”
    2:35pm: Garcia will make his scheduled start for the Braves tonight against the Dodgers, USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets. Talks are still ongoing between the Braves and other teams about Garcia’s services, ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick reports, so a late deal could still happen. Aaron Blair was scratched from a minor league start yesterday and is in Los Angeles to make a spot outing should Garcia be scratched at the last minute.

There are many posters on other sites that are agreeable to trading Swanson in a package for Fulmer. They are considering the facts that Albies has performed better at all levels than Swanson.They are also saying that the way Swanson is beiing handled by Snitckers is down grading his over all value.

I agree with all of the arguements being made to rid the Braves of Swanson. I honestly believe that if he is the starting SS next year, the Braves will never recoup any value for him in trade. The past few games. when the Braves dugout is shown, Swanson is sitting by himself. He doesn't appear to have any desire to talk to Freddie, Kemp, Inciarte or others about his hitting problems. He sulks just like Frenchy did.