Thread: Game thread

Default Game thread

They're playing the Nationals again tonight... 9th inning... Rosie walks the first batter... gets a couple outs, and then walks the bases loaded.

Matheny MIGHT be finally coming around. I don't know if it will work, but he went to Bowman instead of sticking with the guy who is obviously struggling.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Default Re: Game thread

Great win... and the right move for once by Matheny. He almost waited too long, but a win is a win.

I just can't understand how he doesn't realize when his guys "have it" and when they don't.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

I am with you, great job by Matheny. Whenever I saw him come out of the dugout to take Rosenthal out I was simply shocked...didn't think he had that in him.

But hey, I'll give credit where it's due. He may the right call.
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Give Bowman the next shot at getting a save.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

It's definitely a muddy situation at closer. Glad I don't have to decide...
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Ok Matheny.... time to pull Waino already. You left him in to give up 6 and make this a game again.

I love it when its 11-0 and then I watch RAW and turn it back on and its fucking 11-6

Geez

Luke Voit is looking pretty good at the plate. He was crushing the ball down in Memphis before the call up too.

Nice to see Carpenter back over at 2nd base. This is a much better offensive team this way, and I don't feel we give up much defensively (unless Wong is healthy).

Makes ya wonder why they didn't move him earlier and play Adams at first. Of course Wong was there...so eh

Quote Originally Posted by Helton72 View Post
    Makes ya wonder why they didn't move him earlier and play Adams at first. Of course Wong was there...so eh
    Yeah, I kind of wonder the same thing. Carp could have moved back to 3rd, but then do you put Gyrko at SS? Obviously once Wong goes down, you could put either Carp or Gyrko at 2nd. I'm ok with them moving Adams, I just think the way they did it was STUPID. Just giving him away... you might as well have let him sit on the bench for power late in games.

First, Adams was not going to hit like he is in Atlanta because their new park is looking like a hitters' park. For example, 8 of Adams' 12 HRs have been hit there. He was a singles hitter with the Cardinals and the team couldn't find any takers over the winter.

Second, he still can't hit lefties...at all. His current OPS for the season is .550.

Third, he can't play the OF and we have better players on the team than Adams whose at-bats he'd be taking.

All of a sudden there's this "we missed out on getting something for Matt Adams" when he wasn't producing at all for us, especially this year. He couldn't play LF and we had better options than a left-handed hitting singles hitter who had to be platooned.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

I'm not upset that they traded him. If they had gotten even an average mid level prospect for him. He was never going to be given the chance to do what he did in Atlanta, and I'm happy for him.

We gave him away (plus cash) for Juan Yepez... a soft hitting 1b. No power, no speed, no OBP. He's young... I assume the Cards know more than I do about him. I'm just flat out saying I would rather see Adams starting AAA (not sure if he was out of options) or riding the bench than just tossed. I stated it at the time of the trade that I didn't like it. It had nothing to do with Adams hot streak since the move.

All that said... it should reflect a little on Mabry's job. Why was he an opposite field slap singles hitter?

Yepez is a third baseman who also plays first base. And, in fairness, he has hit 5 HRs since he joined the Cardinals.

I have no doubt that Mabry is partially to blame for Adams' lack of production. That is true for every hitter on the team. Why is Matt Carpenter hitting 40 points lower than usual?

The whole thing with Adams is that he never did anything close to what he's done in ATL and it's not like we didn't give him a chance. He's in a low-pressure situation, with an actual hitting coach and he's in a home park that is much more hitter-friendly than Busch.

The fact remains that team tried for 6+ months to find someone to take him and couldn't find a taker until Freeman got hurt.

Yepez plays almost exclusively at first base now. In 2015-2016... he played 67 games at first compared with 10 games at 3rd.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/re...d=yepez-000jua

2017:
    60 games at 3B
    4 games at 1B

6 runs on 3 hits for the Marlins... don't see that everyday. UGH.

I was looking at baseball cube, and they hadn't updated 2017's. Interesting, well he still has little/no value with a career .400 slg and ops of .731

We'd better split the series against these scrubs...

Well, we earned the split. We could've scored a lot more than 4 runs in that game. We're anti-clutch, nowadays.

We kinda didn't deserve that win...so that's great for us for once.