Thread: Let's hear some trade proposals...

Cardinals Let's hear some trade proposals...

What moves would you make to improve the Cardinals short-term and long-term?

Here's what I would do:
    1. Trade Lance Lynn to either Houston or the Yankees. Both need a starting pitcher and have stocked farm systems. We wouldn't get Judge or Correa in return but we could definitely cash in. Plus, Lynn will be a free agent at season's end and he may not return with the glut of arms we have waiting in the wings.

2. Trade for middle relievers. We absolutely need someone else in the bullpen right now. Who? Well, Brad Hand or Hunter Strickland would be nice additions, but I'm not sure what we'd have to give up.

3. Re-assign John Mabry and give the hitting coach job to Budaska for the rest of the season.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Default Re: Let's hear some trade proposals...

Lynn makes logical sense for sure. He isn't gonna give us a discount anyway and since we've got guys like Weaver or Marco coming up, it's fine.

Other than that...we shall see. Its becoming clear this isn't a great team
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Trade Grichuk, Sierra... I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Wong if it was a "sell high" type trade.

Are we going to try to keep Gyrko? He might be a decent trade candidate...
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

I guess the questions are:
    1. What will our infield look like a year from now?
    2. Is DeJong a future starter? If so, where?
    3. Where does Sierra fit? Does he make Fowler move to a corner spot? What about Harrison Bader?
    4. When will Carson Kelly get called up permanently and how does that affect the rest of the team?
    5. How far away are Flaherty, Gomber and Weaver from the big leagues? Can Gonzales put it all together? When will Reyes be back? What do we do with Wacha?

Please, I want to see what you guys think!
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

I greatly dislike the way they have built this team. It feels like a hodge podge of players playing out of position.

Ex: Carpenter isn't a true 1B in my opinion, Diaz isn't good enough defensively at SS, Jedd is a 2B shifted to 3rd.... The entire infield is a mess, and defensively, we have seen it. Maybe we chalk this year up to a loss, and let these guys improve at their positions. Diaz was SO good last year, it is surprising to see him completely fall off like this. Hope he figures it out.

To answer your questions....

1. I want new management and coaches. Love Mabry (one of my all time favorites) and love Matheny, but they aren't getting it done. They were able to ride TLR's success for a few years, but at this point, it is really starting to show.
    2. If DeJong wants to be an MLB player he has to draw more walks. We don't need a .240 hitter with a .290 obp. Even if he has pop.
    3. Sierra is a perfect fit for the #5 outfield spot. Speed for pinch running, and can play defense all over. If he shows he can get on base at a .370+ clip... he's our starting RF. Make Bader take a job. You want to be a starter? Beat someone out for it.
    4. It's time to bring up Kelly this year. He can learn under Matheny (before he's relieved of duty) and Molina... two of the best.
    5. I think all of those names are close. We need to retool what our pitching staff looks like. If you can't get anything for Wacha... move him to the pen. Waino might be ready for the pen too. Lynn will be an A rated FA. So, if they want to trade him, they've got to get value for him... no need to move him, take the pick. That leaves 2-3 open spots in the 2018 rotation. We've got 4-5 young arms ready to go.

All that said, our rotation is not the reason this team sucks. Defense, bullpen, weak offense and horrible coaching... those are the reasons.

On another note... Freeman is willing to move to 3B to make sure Matt Adams stays in the lineup when he gets back. Sure am glad we gave him away for a bag of peanuts. One of the worst trades the Cardinals have done in years.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...-third-baseman
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Jedd is a 2B shifted to 3rd....

On another note... Freeman is willing to move to 3B to make sure Matt Adams stays in the lineup when he gets back. Sure am glad we gave him away for a bag of peanuts. One of the worst trades the Cardinals have done in years.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...-third-baseman
    Two quick points:
    1. Gyorko played much more third base in the minors than he did second.
    2. Adams is playing really well right now. But, I doubt it'll last.

I do agree that this team is a weird glob of players. However, if they were playing really well would be extolling their virtue as being versatile?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Two quick points:
    1. Gyorko played much more third base in the minors than he did second.
    2. Adams is playing really well right now. But, I doubt it'll last.

I do agree that this team is a weird glob of players. However, if they were playing really well would be extolling their virtue as being versatile?

Yes we would be very amazed by their versatility. However, when you take risks by building a team in this way... you get credit for the successes and blamed for the failures. This team was supposedly designed to be BETTER defensively than 2016's team. We're on pace to be about the same... if not worse. All while removing a lot of the offensive from the lineup.

I'm not sure why you'd think Adams isn't going to be good. He's always had the potential. A couple injuries and some being buried on the depth chart hurt him. He'll hit 30 HR's and have an OPS around .850 most years I would guess.

I guess the questions are:
    1. What will our infield look like a year from now?
    2. Is DeJong a future starter? If so, where?
    3. Where does Sierra fit? Does he make Fowler move to a corner spot? What about Harrison Bader?
    4. When will Carson Kelly get called up permanently and how does that affect the rest of the team?
    5. How far away are Flaherty, Gomber and Weaver from the big leagues? Can Gonzales put it all together? When will Reyes be back? What do we do with Wacha?

Please, I want to see what you guys think!
    (1) Man...what a tough call here. Diaz, Gyorko, Wong, Marp...all got contracts. It is possible it could be the same then as it is now. I kinda like the setup but Marp at first still seems odd to me. It's a shame we traded Adams. I'd rather have him and Marp play somewhere else.

(2) Maybe? I think it's too tough to call at this point in his career. I have seen some good stuff so far but eh, too soon to tell.

(3) I could definitely see Sierra pushing Fowler to a corner spot...eventually. But not for a couple of years. Sierra might be a factor sooner than later though the way he's been performing when called up. Bader is an interesting guy as well...I'd like to see him added to the 40 man and get a look come September so we can see what we've got.

(4) I'd like him called up RIGHT NOW. Why wait? Fryer is fine but let's give Yadi more days off and see what Carson can do. I understand he needs to play but come on, let's do it.

(5) I think Marco and Weaver are close...and Reyes should get in the rotation next year. Lynn will probably be gone and I see Reyes taking that spot and Wacha get moved to the pen...or shipped elsewhere for peanuts.
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Quote Originally Posted by Helton72 View Post

(4) I'd like him called up RIGHT NOW. Why wait? Fryer is fine but let's give Yadi more days off and see what Carson can do. I understand he needs to play but come on, let's do it.
    The thing about Kelly is that he was drafted as a third baseman. So, he could, theoretically, play 3B/1B as well in the big leagues, too. He'd be an interesting addition to the team if he could do that.

You can always tell whether or not you're getting good Rosenthal or bad Rosenthal when he immediately starts walking people. So frustrating.

You can always tell whether or not you're getting good Rosenthal or bad Rosenthal when he immediately starts walking people. So frustrating.
    Unfortunately, our manager doesn't understand that.