Thread: Lions trade for Greg Robinson, sign Cyrus Kouandjio

Default Lions trade for Greg Robinson, sign Cyrus Kouandjio

Lions trade for Greg Robinson, sign Cyrus Kouandjio

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 15, 2017, 9:23 AM EDT
    KANSAS CITY, MO Ė OCTOBER 26: Offensive linemen Greg Robinson #79 of the St. Louis Rams gets set on the line against the Kansas City Chiefs during the second half on October 26, 2014 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Peter G. Aiken/Getty Images)" data-medium-file="https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt qwzjk1odu5ngrjzwuwyzljnmi1owq2y2i4yzaxmgzh-e1424777762913.jpeg?w=320" data-large-file="https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt qwzjk1odu5ngrjzwuwyzljnmi1owq2y2i4yzaxmgzh-e1424777762913.jpeg?w=1024" style="border: 0px; margin-left: 5px; display: block;">
    Getty Images
    The Rams have gotten rid of a former draft bust and the Lions have gotten a potential fill-in for their injured left tackle.
    Greg Robinson, the second overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft, has been traded to the Lions, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. Detroit sends its 2018 sixth-round draft pick to Los Angeles in the deal.
    That gives the Lions another player who can compete to start at left tackle in Week One, while starting left tackle Taylor Deckerrecovers from shoulder surgery. Robinson has played both guard and tackle for the Rams.
    The Rams declined Robinsonís fifth-year option, which means the 2017 season is the final year on his rookie contract. He is due a base salary of $3.3 million.
    The Lions have also signed another potential left tackle in former Bills second-round pick Cyrus Kouandjio, according to Field Yates of ESPN. So itís a busy day for the Lions, who know they need to find a better option to protect Matthew Staffordís blind side.

Default Re: Lions trade for Greg Robinson, sign Cyrus Kouandjio

Lions trade for OT Greg Robinson, former No. 2 overall pick; sign Cyrus Kouandjio

Updated on June 15, 2017 at 10:04 AMPosted on June 15, 2017 at 9:42 AM

The Lions have traded for former Rams offensive tackle and second overall pick Greg Robinson. (AP Photo)

BY KYLE MEINKE

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions announced Thursday morning they've acquired two more offensive tackles, trading for Los Angeles' Greg Robinson and signing Cyrus Kouandjio.
    They gave up a sixth-round pick in next year's draft to acquire Robinson, the second overall pick in the 2014 draft.
    They released long snapper Jimmy Landes and offensive tackle OT Arturo Uzdavinis in the corresponding moves.
    The additions are the surest sign yet that Detroit intends to be without left tackle Taylor Decker for a very long time. Decker tore the labrum in his right shoulder and underwent surgery June 5. He's expected to miss at least four months -- which means he's out the first month of the season -- and might not return until December.
    Detroit split his reps among Cornelius Lucas and guard Joe Dahl in the five practices since the injury, and coach Jim Caldwell offered his confidence in both players. But Lucas has had trouble holding down a starting job the last three years, and Dahl is a second-year player with no pro experience at tackle whatsoever.
    He did play the position at Washington State, but at 6-foot-4 and 305 pounds, he's undersized for tackle -- let alone left tackle -- at this level. Detroit spent all last season converting him to guard after taking him in the fourth round of the draft.

Have fun with allllllllllllllllllll that

Robinson sucks
    "People ask me what I do in winter when thereís no baseball. Iíll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Quote Originally Posted by Helton72 View Post
    Have fun with allllllllllllllllllll that

Robinson sucks
    We only gave up a 6 rd choice for him. He is still very young and with a different Oline coach may be able to realize the potential of being the 2nd overall draft choice in the 2014 draft.

I was thinking the same thing about Robinson.......sometimes a new environment is all a player needs, and playing for Caldwell a black head coach may help as well. Dad can sit son down, have a little chat with the boy and get him fired up again. Not a lot of cost here, many 6th round picks don't make the team anyway. What have the Lions got to lose here? Quinn risk here is worth it in my opinion.

I do agree about that...why the hell not if you're the Lions? Worth a shot.
    "People ask me what I do in winter when thereís no baseball. Iíll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

I think he sucks. I know people say it is a low risk move but there are tons of players we could "try" that are low risk moves. The genius is in picking which low risk move to try. I just don't think Robinson is worth it. Besides, isn't this the 3rd RObinson on the team now? I do hope I am wrong about him and Quinn is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Idoubtit View Post
    I think he sucks. I know people say it is a low risk move but there are tons of players we could "try" that are low risk moves. The genius is in picking which low risk move to try. I just don't think Robinson is worth it. Besides, isn't this the 3rd RObinson on the team now? I do hope I am wrong about him and Quinn is right.
    Well I hope you're wrong about him, as well ... This situation was caused by an injury (stating the obvious), the market for a decent-2-good LT; for 1 ... was small and 2 ... needed to be (jmo) established early enough for them (the o-line) to hopefully come together so they can have some type of 'solidification' (is that a word?) /gel ... In understand that some 'trust' in Quinn, but I put this on Caldwell and the O-line coach ... we'll see if and who gets to start.