Thread: Wow!

Cardinals Wow!

Mo just announced:
    1. Chris Maloney is out as 3rd base coach. Mike Shildt is the new 3rd base coach.
    2. Bill Mueller is on a leave of absence from the team. Mark Budaska (Memphis hitting coach) replaces him.
    3. Ron "Pop" Warner has been added to the staff as a new coach.
    4. Jhonny Peralta has been DFA'd and Wong has been activated.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Default Re: Wow!

When I heard there was a press conference I thought for sure it meant either Matheny or Mabry are gone

They deserve to be fired more than what happened!
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Matheny and Mabry are BFFs. I think Mabry being fired would only happen if Matheny was fired, too.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

• Shildt “has juice with the GM,” according to Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Twitter links), and Shildt’s promotion could be a sign that manager Mike Matheny is under extra pressure to turn the Cardinals’ season around. Matheny’s job is “secure” under club owner William DeWitt, Miklasz feels, unless the Cards’ struggles begin to impact the team’s profitability.

These moves are clearly paying off already

sarcasm haha
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

The fact that we have the best rotation in baseball, and are a sub .500 team should mean the manager, hitting coach, and whoever is in charge of fielding.... should ALL be worried about their jobs. This team should be at least 10 games over .500
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    The fact that we have the best rotation in baseball, and are a sub .500 team should mean the manager, hitting coach, and whoever is in charge of fielding.... should ALL be worried about their jobs. This team should be at least 10 games over .500
    I dunno about the best rotation, but we certainly have a good one. The bullpen is a major problem, too. Bowman, Rosenthal and Oh can't pitch every game and the rest of the bullpen just isn't trustworthy.

A little reference here...

Cardinals starters this season...

Lowest ERA in all of baseball
    2nd lowest SLG in all of baseball
    3rd lowest OPS in all of baseball
    lowest BAA in all of baseball
    fewest HR's given up in all of baseball
    4th fewest total bases
    2nd lowest WHIP

The only team that would have an argument is the Dodgers, who currently have the best record in the NL, and the 2nd best record in MLB. They are 12 games better than the cardinals. (that's how bad the rest of the team has been)
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Cardinals Release Jhonny Peralta

By Jeff Todd | June 13, 2017 at 10:25am CDT
    The Cardinals have released infielder Jhonny Peralta, per a club announcement. The veteran had recently been designated for assignment.
    It’s no surprise that Peralta cleared waivers. He’s earning $10MM in 2017, the final season of the four-year free agent deal he signed when he joined the Cards.
    At 35 years of age, Peralta seems to have hit a wall. After struggling through an injury-riddled 2016 campaign, there was hope that he’d bounce back this year. But he’s hitting only .204/.259/.204 through 58 plate appearances.
    Still, it’s easy to imagine rival organizations taking a look at a player who was an All-Star in 2015. That’s especially true since he can be had for the league-minimum salary, with St. Louis continuing to pay the vast majority of his salary.