Thread: Cardinals Sign Cuban RHP Hector Mendoza

Cardinals Cardinals Sign Cuban RHP Hector Mendoza

Cardinals Sign Cuban RHP Hector Mendoza
    By Steve Adams | June 7, 2017 at 11:58am CDT

11:58am: MLB.comís Jesse Sanchez reports (via Twitter) that itís a minor league deal for Mendoza, who will receive a $500K signing bonus. As previously noted, that doesnít come with a luxury tax since Mendoza is exempt from bonus pools, making his addition is a relatively low-cost pick up for St. Louis.

9:37am: The Cardinals announced that theyíve agreed to terms with 23-year-old right-hander Hector Mendoza. The Cuban native, who is being represented by Wasserman, was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball back in January and is reportedly exempt from international bonus pools. Terms of the deal werenít disclosed, though his exemption means that the Cards were free to sign him to a Major League contract.

Though Mendoza falls shy of the requisite five years of pro experience in Cuba that MLB requires for bonus pool exemption, El Nuevo Heraldís Jorge Ebro reported in January that the league determined that Mendoza can be considered a professional rather than an amateur due to brief stints in Japan across parts of two separate seasons (combined with his four years in Cuba).

Baseball Americaís Ben Badler connected the Cardinals to Mendoza over the weekend (subscription required and strongly recommended), noting that while he once was one of the more promising young arms on Cuba, heís struggled Japan and had durability issues in Cuba. Per Badler, Mendoza has a three-pitch starterís repertoire, including a 94 mph fastball, when heís at his best. However, scouts whoíve seen him recently offer mixed reports and peg him as a potential reliever. Badler suggests that heís currently ready to pitch at Class-A Advanced or Double-A. That could conceivably make him an option for the Redbirds later this season, depending on how quickly heís able to join a minor league affiliate and how he fares once he returns to competitive ball.

In parts of six professional seasons between the Cuban National Series and Japanís Nippon Professional Baseball, Mendoza has a 2.95 ERA with 6.6 K/9 against 5.3 BB/9. Control issues seem to have always been a problem for the righty, based on his yearly walk rates, but heís also consistently managed to post solid ERAs and did have a successful run as the closer for Cubaís Isla de la Juventud in the 2013-14 campaign.
    ďDon't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.Ē ―Pete Hamill

Default Re: Cardinals Sign Cuban RHP Hector Mendoza

Seems like he's maybe worth a shot?
    "People ask me what I do in winter when thereís no baseball. Iíll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby