Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe it's time.

Default Maybe it's time.

To...
    1. Demote/Replace/Fire John Mabry as Hitting Coach. The team is simply awful offensively and Mabry doesn't seem to be helping anyone.
    2. Move Wacha to the bullpen and call up Weaver, Gonzales or some other such pitcher.
    3. Deal Peralta. We might get a taker if we can do it, soon. If he is terrible much longer, maybe we won't get any bites.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Default Re: Maybe it's time.

I agree, something should be done.
    In reality, I'm one of those hateful liberals
    Pnk

just picked up a prescription that used to be $65 and is now $100. thanks ObamaIslamoCommunistDeathPanelTaxCare
    Enya
    If they like their cake, they can keep their cake.
    Marie Antoinette

Hank Hill: What the hell kind of country is this where I can only hate a man if he's white?

Does releasing Broxton count?
    "How good was Stan Musial? He was good enough to take your breath away." -Vin Scully.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Savoy View Post
    Does releasing Broxton count?
    Yes!

Cardinals Release Jonathan Broxton
    By Steve Adams | May 31, 2017 at 4:46pm CDT

The Cardinals have released struggling right-hander Jonathan Broxton, GM John Mozeliak told reporters (Twitter link via Benjamin Hochman of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch). Right-hander John Gant has been recalled from Triple-A Memphis to take his spot in the St. Louis bullpen.

Broxton, who’ll turn 33 in a little more than two weeks, has been roughed up for a 6.89 ERA with the Redbirds through 16 1/3 innings this season. In that time, the former Dodgers closer has yielded 12 earned runs on the strength of 23 hits and 11 walks (two intentional).

Broxton’s 42.6 percent ground-ball rate is the second-lowest mark he’s posted in any full season of his big league career, as well. His 11.9 percent swinging-strike rate is his best since 2009, however, and he’s still averaging better than 94 mph on his heater, which helped him tally 16 punchouts in those 16 1/3 frames. That, of course, is a modest silver lining, though it does at least create a bit of optimism that the veteran could at least resurface as a serviceable relief arm.

The veteran Broxton is playing out the second season of a two-year, $7.5MM contract with the Cardinals, which guarantees him $3.75MM this year. The Cards will be on the hook for the remainder of that salary even if Broxton signs with another club after formally clearing release waivers. A new team would only be responsible for the pro-rated portion of the league minimum for any time Broxton spent on its Major League roster. (That sum would be subtracted from the remaining $2.54MM that the Cardinals owe Broxton.)

Gant, 24, was one of three prospects acquired by the Cardinals this offseason in the trade that sent left-hander Jaime Garcia to the Braves. He struggled a bit in 50 big league innings with Atlanta last season but has pitched to a very strong 2.19 ERA with 8.0 K/9, 3.6 BB/9 and a 50 percent ground-ball rate through three starts (12 1/3 innings) with the Cardinals’ Triple-A affiliate this year. He missed the first several weeks of the season due to a groin strain.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Now, trade Peralta. He's taking up a roster spot.

LOL... Mo had to release Broxton so that Matheny would stop using him. It is time to shake things up, and this is a step in the right direction.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Exactly Obabikon! Matheny would never stop using that piece of trash haha

And yeah, fire Mabry. Sorry but you gotta go
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Not sure how many times the wife would hear me swear and say "what's wrong?". I'd say Matheny just put fat ass in the game again, we're beat for sure.

She'd just shake her head not knowing what the hell I was talking about.
    Pnk

just picked up a prescription that used to be $65 and is now $100. thanks ObamaIslamoCommunistDeathPanelTaxCare
    Enya
    Marie Antoinette

Hank Hill: What the hell kind of country is this where I can only hate a man if he's white?

Now, if we could convince him that our lefties are horrible options vs. other lefties right now... we might be able to hold some games.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

It sucks it took this long...and we have to try and get Socolovich through waivers...shoulda released Broxton before that happened.
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Is this the low point? It feels like the low point....
    "How good was Stan Musial? He was good enough to take your breath away." -Vin Scully.

It can't get lower... 4 straight blown games that should have been wins... now a shalacking.

If this team ends up around .500 Matheny has to go. If he can get them to turn it around, and stop making bonehead decisions during the game... fine. However, a lot of this is on him.

Changes need to be made and soon. Here's hoping.

Matheny is officially the worst game time manager in baseball. Why on EARTH is he leaving in Cecil to give up 4 hits?

Ok... he gives up a couple hits. One and infield hit. Didn't look horrible. You show him some trust. FINE. But then he gives up a HR and it is a tie ball game....

WHY THE FU*K WOULD YOU LEAVE HIM OUT THERE LONGER THAN THAT? You have your "8th inning" guy. You love that system. FREAKING USE HIM. STOP BLOWING GAMES AND USE YOUR PITCHERS PROPERLY!

I'm done with him. He doesn't deserve to be a minor league manager at this point. Cecil... please cut him. I know we gave him a big contract. Pay it off and be done with him. STOP USING CECIL. EVER. If we are down 10 runs... fine. NEVER EVER EVER USE HIM IN A REASONABLY CLOSE GAME YOU FREAKING IDIOT!

On top of all of those mistakes... you have the best hitter in the NL at the plate. You have a base open. Why aren't you forcing Duval to beat you? Put 4 fingers up and let Rosie throw to the guy who has struck out nearly double the number of times that Votto has this year. The same guy who is lower in every single offensive stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Savoy View Post
    Is this the low point? It feels like the low point....
    It was then, but now this is.
    Pnk

Enya
    Marie Antoinette

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    It was then, but now this is.
    New low point achieved today.

If it's a race to the bottom, we're winning.
    Pnk

Enya
    Marie Antoinette

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Matheny is officially the worst game time manager in baseball. Why on EARTH is he leaving in Cecil to give up 4 hits?

Ok... he gives up a couple hits. One and infield hit. Didn't look horrible. You show him some trust. FINE. But then he gives up a HR and it is a tie ball game....

WHY THE FU*K WOULD YOU LEAVE HIM OUT THERE LONGER THAN THAT? You have your "8th inning" guy. You love that system. FREAKING USE HIM. STOP BLOWING GAMES AND USE YOUR PITCHERS PROPERLY!

I'm done with him. He doesn't deserve to be a minor league manager at this point. Cecil... please cut him. I know we gave him a big contract. Pay it off and be done with him. STOP USING CECIL. EVER. If we are down 10 runs... fine. NEVER EVER EVER USE HIM IN A REASONABLY CLOSE GAME YOU FREAKING IDIOT!
    This ^^^ all of this.

At least today we didn't blow a lead...............#sarcasm

Mabry needs to either be re-assigned or fired. Seriously, the offense is pathetic. These players are way better than they're showing.

Since the beginning of the season, the Cardinals have shed Matt Adams, Jonathan Broxton, Miguel Socolovich and now Jhonny Peralta. I can't remember the last time so much wasted space has been freed up in such a short time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast