Thread: Cardinals potential

Default Cardinals potential

This team has looked good the past week. The bats have come alive, and even with some serious injuries... the team is scoring runs.

I want Fowler to get healthy and return, but him going down FORCED Matheny to put Wong in the leadoff role. I'm not saying he is the reason, but Wong has been getting on base a lot. Having a leadoff hitter with an OBP under .300 is not good.

If anyone 2 weeks ago had told me we would have a 1 game lead over the Cubs 31 games into the season, I would have called them liars!
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Default Re: Cardinals potential

Right? It makes no sense that we'd loss all these guys yet now we're somehow in first place...

I dunno what we'll look like in august but I'll enjoy this while we've got it
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

A couple of things... Brett Cecil is not very good right now. I hope he gets his crap together... but Matheny has to stop using him in pressure situations. Start using Rosie when someone is coming in with 2 guys on in a tie game.

Secondly... I like this offense more and more every day. Greg Garcia and Matt Adams both deserve more AB's, but where do they get them?
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Back to back nights of the Cardinals coming back from down 4 to win! Very nice.

That said... Cecil is STILL horrible. Stop using him. I also think I'm right about how to use Rosie. 2 on... nobody out? THAT is where you want him.

He's the dark spot of the bullpen right now, that's for sure

These guys are playing some excellent ball...keep it going versus Chicago please
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Tonight's game against the Giants is a perfect example of why people say Matheny is a horrible in game manager... unfortunately, they are probably right.

Wacha had sent down 10 out of the last 11. He had 86 pitches.

1st... Why on earth are you pulling him so soon?

2nd... If you're going to pull him, do NOT under any circumstances use Cecil, Broxton or Socolovich. It is only a 2 run game.

Why pull him? Because they skipped his last start and are doing everything they can to keep his shoulder intact. He's had a lot of injuries and we need to keep him in the rotation.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

I get the idea of going easy on him. However, if he can't throw 100 pitches after having a week off... maybe he shouldn't be in the rotation. Marco Gonzalez can be called up, and Wacha could be our 7th inning guy or our long reliever.

I don't think that's the best option, but it is better than constantly putting close games in the hands of Broxton and Cecil right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    I get the idea of going easy on him. However, if he can't throw 100 pitches after having a week off... maybe he shouldn't be in the rotation. Marco Gonzalez can be called up, and Wacha could be our 7th inning guy or our long reliever.

I don't think that's the best option, but it is better than constantly putting close games in the hands of Broxton and Cecil right now.
    Both of those guys are terrible. However, why do Tuivailala (since demoted) or Socolovich never pitch? The best of those four is the one that gets demoted. Broxton pitches too much in high-pressure situations. Wacha would be the 7th inning guy except we have Bowman and Reyes got hurt. We do have some good young arms down in Memphis that just aren't ready yet. If we could just get back on track now and stay in the race, I think help is coming...and it's not from Broxton.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Marco Gonzalez looks ready to go. He'd be good in the pen or as a starter, depending what we wanted with Wacha.

Also... Flahrety and Weaver are both rocking it, and Lyons is supposedly close to coming back. Time to clear out the pen and get some new guys in there. Send anyone with an ERA over 5 down.