Thread: ... and the 21st pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Lions pick:

Default ... and the 21st pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Lions pick:

a DE? a DT? a CB? a LB? a WR? a TE? a RB? ... what? .. or trade? Many ways for this team to go, along with the new additions to the O-line, and the fact that they do need help in other areas of need, just wondering what the 7 listeners on these sports-boards think.

I think best player available between DE or DT, but if a huge hiccup should happen and Cook falls there ... welllllll.
    Last edited by 4realdude; 03-22-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: forgot to add 'trade'

Default Re: ... and the 21st pick in the 2017 NFL Draft the Lions pick:

Best defensive player available, hopefully a DE or a LB that can cover sideline to sideline and drop back into pass coverage.

I think DE, LB. unless Cooke falls to 21.

The only RBs on Quinn's list are Mixon, McCafferty, and Aaron Jones.

Mixon ... is truly an anomaly, teams are going to take some heat for this pick and/or signing, and Martha will have to agree with this, as stated by Quinn. Altho, I am not one to oppose. I do suppose, if by some chance Taco Charlton does slips just a little, as the pundits suggest he's a teener pick, so do they then trade up a bit, if the terms are right, for a needed position DE? ... just a nice thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 4realdude View Post
    Mixon ... is truly an anomaly, teams are going to take some heat for this pick and/or signing, and Martha will have to agree with this, as stated by Quinn. Altho, I am not one to oppose. I do suppose, if by some chance Taco Charlton does slips just a little, as the pundits suggest he's a teener pick, so do they then trade up a bit, if the terms are right, for a needed position DE? ... just a nice thought.
    Too many good players will be available to make it worth trading up. Quinn and his staff have spent a lot of time at pro-days looking at late round picks. I don't think he will want to give up picks very easily

I saw an article on him and it suggested that he would get drafted between RDs.3-5. If we can move up in the 3rd rd to get him, I would. I think that he is a 1st round talent but is to risky to take there but in the 3rd round I would do it.

[QUOTE=Idoubtit;3912558]Too many good players will be available to make it worth trading up. Quinn and his staff have spent a lot of time at pro

Understandable, but late round picks are not the quality picks as in those earlier rounds, if done right, there could be 'a diamond in the rough', but it's those 1st and 2nd rounders that could make your team vastly better (at least that's the way one would hope it would happen), so trading up in that 1st round or 2nd to get a piece of what you hope is something special, I could see happening (not saying that it will).

I'm saying that I think there are too many good players in the first two rounds that it isn't worth trading up. Why waste a pick to move up when you can stay where you are and get an equal player. In fact I would love a trade down because I don't think we will lose much.

Quote Originally Posted by Idoubtit View Post
    Too many good players will be available to make it worth trading up. Quinn and his staff have spent a lot of time at pro-days looking at late round picks. I don't think he will want to give up picks very easily
    This is true (..."too many good players" ...) especially in this years draft, but I was just pointing out about drafting up for a talent that would be of value to trade up for, and only if he would vastly improve the team, I don't see any of those types of players in this year's draft.

That being said, this 21st pick is going to be a question mark as to which way they will go, because this team is in need of multiple defensive positions; LBs are 1st on my list (Levy gone), followed by DE, CB, DT, and S. Offense; they are in need of a top receiver, I like Jones and Tate, but a No. 1 they are not .... Calvin come back!!!!

This is true (..."too many good players" ...) especially in this years draft, but I was just pointing out about drafting up for a talent that would be of value to trade up for, and only if he would vastly improve the team, I don't see any of those types of players in this year's draft.

That being said, this 21st pick is going to be a question mark as to which way they will go, because this team is in need of multiple defensive positions; LBs are 1st on my list (Levy gone), followed by DE, CB, DT, and S. Offense; they are in need of a top receiver, I like Jones and Tate, but a No. 1 they are not .... Calvin come back!!!!
    That will be determined by who is on the board. I've seen mocks where 5 Dlinemen and 3 LBers are gone by #21. If that is the case we will move in another direction, and vice versa. That won't be determined until the draft. Some of the old draft boards that have been revealed for some teams in the past show a list of players that a team wants listed in order of preference. At some point they start adding other scenarios. So, for example, the Lions might have 18 players they want to take in the first round. If one is still there at #21 they will take him. Or they may have an option where if 16 of the players are gone they begin to look for a trade up and they will have options as to what they are willing to give up to make it happen. They will also have trade down options ready so that as soon as their 18th guy is gone they begin looking to trade down. If no trades happen they move on to their next list of players 19-32, etc.

Ok, Mel chimed in with this bit of info ... courtesy Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nf...aft/100092720/

The Detroit Lions have next to no shot at landing the hottest player in the NFL draft, but could choose from one of two SEC standouts if they want to upgrade their linebacking corps in the first round.

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said on a teleconference Wednesday that Temple linebacker Haason Reddick is highly unlikely to be available when the Lions are on the board with the 21st pick.

Reddick has been steadily climbing draft boards since an impressive week of practice at the Senior Bowl, and has been a popular mock draft choice of the Lions in the last two months.

Kiper, though, said he doesn't see the converted defensive end making his way outside the top 11.

"Reddick is red hot right now," Kiper said. "I have him going to New Orleans at 11. If he were there (at 21), obviously (you take him because) you’re getting yourself one of the top 10 players in this draft."

Reddick is expected to play as an off-the-ball linebacker in the NFL after serving primarily as a pass rusher in college. He's widely regarded as one of the two best 4-3 linebacker prospects in the draft, along with Alabama's Reuben Foster.

Kiper has Foster going 15th to the Indianapolis Colts, while his ESPN colleague Todd McShay has Reddick at No. 11 (pay site) and Foster going No. 17 to Washington.

Two other linebackers, Florida's Jarrad Davis and Vanderbilt's Zach Cunningham, are potential first-round picks, with Davis being the slightly better prospect, Kiper said.

“Just a versatile kid," Kiper said of Davis. "He tested great. At 240 pounds he ran 4.58 and had a 38.5 vertical. He’s had some minor injury issues, but you look at him, he’s more of an inside guy who can get a little heat on the quarterback. Cunningham is an athletic inside backer. Rangy. I’d give Davis a slight edge over Cunningham but it’s close."

Davis had 60 tackles and two sacks in nine games for Florida last season. He did not work out at the combine last month because of an ankle injury that kept him in a boot for nearly two months.

Cunningham had 125 tackles and 16.5 tackles for loss last season.

One site has us taking S obi meilfonwu from UConn. I watched some clips of him and he seems pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by dongivdam View Post
    One site has us taking S obi meilfonwu from UConn. I watched some clips of him and he seems pretty good.

What??? a safety? @ 21 … I would not be pleased, as the Lions are lacking in other areas than safety, say DE, DT, LB, CB or even a WR would be a better choice.