Thread: Lions sign veteran TE Darren Fells

Default Lions sign veteran TE Darren Fells

Lions sign veteran TE Darren Fells

Justin Rogers , The Detroit NewsPublished 1:15 p.m. ET March 11, 2017 | Updated 3 minutes ago

(Photo: AP Photo)

CONNECT
    TWEETLINKEDIN
    COMMENTEMAILMORE

Allen Park The Detroit Lions have found a veteran tight end, agreeing to a one-year deal with Darren Fells. The news was first reported by NFL.com.
    Fells, 30, tried basketball first, playing internationally before signing with the Seattle Seahawks in 2013. He was waived after two months with the team, but caught on with the Arizona Cardinals, where hes spent the past three seasons.
    The 6-foot-7, 281-pounder has appeared in 38 games, starting 24. Hes recorded 40 catches for 536 yards and four touchdowns. Hes also considered an above-average blocker, particularly in pass protection. Pro Football Focus ranked him fourth in that area among tight ends last season

Default Re: Lions sign veteran TE Darren Fells

Lions reportedly land Darren Fells, one of the best blocking TEs in NFL

The Lions have come to terms with former Arizona tight end Darren Fells. (AP File Photo)

PrintEmail
    By Kyle Meinke | [email protected]
    Follow on Twitter
    on March 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM, updated March 11, 2017 at 1:12 PM

ALLEN PARK -- It seems the Detroit Lions are taking a page from Stan Van Gundy's playbook, and building a bleeping wall.
    This one, for Matthew Stafford.
    Just one day after officially signing Ricky Wagner, one of the best pass-blocking right tackles in the league, they have come to terms with tight end Darren Fells, one of the best pass-blocking tight ends in the league, according to NFL Network.
    ADVERTISING

The deal is for one year and $1.5 million, according to the report.
    Fells, who stands a towering 6-foot-7 and 281 pounds, ranked third among the league's tight ends last year as a pass blocker according to ProFootballFocus. He's also been a good run blocker in his career, though PFF ranked him 17th last season.
    He isn't much of a pass catcher, with just 40 receptions in his three years with Arizona. But with Eric Ebron under contract for another year, plus a team-held option for 2018, the Lions don't need him to be that. They needed somebody who could block, and Fells is one of the best.
    His arrival could spell the end in Detroit for some combination of tight ends Clay Harbor, Matthew Mulligan and Tim Wright, all of whom are free agents.

I like this signing. I like good blocking Tight Ends.

I like this signing. I like good blocking Tight Ends.

With RT that can block and a TE that can block it might just improve the running game also. Now wouldn't that be new and diffrent?

It will be nice. It also had me thinking that we Ebron for passing, and Fells for blocking. Now only if Ebron could be more consistant with catching it would help a lot.

Nice sign.

I just waiting to be able to say the same on the defensive side of the ball.