Thread: Report: Lions land top free agent right tackle Ricky Wagner

Default Report: Lions land top free agent right tackle Ricky Wagner

Report: Lions land top free agent right tackle Ricky Wagner

Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Ricky Wagner (71) lines-up against the Cleveland Browns during an NFL game at the FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland on Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014. (Jeff Haynes/AP Images for Panini) (Jeff Haynes)

PrintEmail
    By Kyle Meinke | [email protected]
    Follow on Twitter
    on March 08, 2017 at 12:58 PM, updated March 08, 2017 at 1:55 PM

ALLEN PARK -- Nobody pays more than $6.75 million per year for a right tackle. But Bob Quinn was determined to fortify the Lions' offensive line, and was willing to offer top dollar to do it.
    One year after using his first-round pick to acquire left tackle Taylor Decker, Quinn has opened free agency by backing up the money truck for top free-agent right tackle Ricky Wagner according to NFL Network. Teams are not allowed to enter into binding agreements with players until 4 p.m. Thursday, but they are allowed to talk terms and the deal is expected to surpass $9 million annually.
    That's considerably more than Green Bay's Bryan Bulaga, who is currently the league's highest-paid right tackle at $6.75 million annually. (Not including Lane Johnson, who is viewed as Philadelphia's left tackle of the future.)
    Ads by ZINC

The market-setting deal means Riley Reiff, a first-round pick in 2012, is expected to leave Detroit in free agency.
    Quinn gave Reiff a vote of confidence last week at the combine, saying he did a solid job after getting pushed to the right side with Decker's arrival in 2016. But there's little doubt that Wagner offers improved protection for Matthew Stafford on the right side, and more consistency in the run game.
    He's a talented player who has started three years at right tackle, and is coming off one of his best years yet. He allowed just three sacks and four QB hits according to ProFootballFocus, and graded out as the league's fourth-best pass protector. And Baltimore made a serious push to retain him.
    "We've offered them - we're very competitive I can tell you that, with what we're offering and we're negotiating with them right now," Harbaugh said. "We want them back. And Ricky definitely is a guy we want back."
    Wagner also offers some experience for the line, in case Larry Warford leaves in free agency, as many expect. He has started 47 games in four years for the Ravens, and missed just two due to injury over that time.
    At 27 years old, he figures to just be entering his prime. And that should give the Lions' long-maligned offensive line two solid bookends for years to come.

Default Re: Report: Lions land top free agent right tackle Ricky Wagner

$9 million a year is a lot of money to pay for a RT. I think Wagner is a small upgrade over Riley Rieff, but not all that much. He has been pretty healthy all his time in the NFL so far and been more consistent than Rieff, so if they were to have to paid Rieff say $8 a year, I guess he is worth it. He is better in run blocking then Reiff and about the same in pass blocking, from what I have read so far. Only time will tell I guess.