Thread: Trevor Rosenthal

Cardinals Trevor Rosenthal

• After nearly three years as the Cardinals’ primary closer, right-hander Trevor Rosenthal is vying for a spot in the team’s rotation, though it’s unlikely he’ll end up a starter, suggests Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The Redbirds “don’t really know” what Rosenthal’s role will be in 2017, per manager Mike Matheny, but given that they’re stretching him out, odds are he’ll end up as something between a starter and a closer, writes Goold. The hard-throwing 26-year-old could give the Cardinals their own version of Cleveland’s Andrew Miller – someone capable of handling high-leverage situations and tossing multiple innings in an appearance.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Default Re: Trevor Rosenthal

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Trevor Rosenthal will have to wait a while longer to make a spring start, as he has been scratched as Monday's probable pitcher after alerting the medical staff to tightness around his right latissimus dorsi (lat) muscle.
    Rosenthal said he felt some soreness in that area on Friday, when he pitched an inning against the Nationals. That outing was to be a tuneup for Monday's start, which would have been Rosenthal's first at any level and in any setting since 2012. Instead, the former Cardinals closer is now sidelined until he can pass the necessary medical tests.

"He's going to need a couple days," manager Mike Matheny said.
    While the Cardinals don't appear overly concerned that this will set Rosenthal back for long, it could foil their plans to get him starts in spring. Rosenthal was ready to take Carlos Martinez's starting spot during Martinez's World Baseball Classic absence. Now, John Gant slides into the starting mix, at least for one turn through the rotation.
    If Rosenthal has too long a layoff, he may not be ready to throw multiple innings immediately upon returning. The Cardinals' plan for Rosenthal this spring was to build up his arm strength so that he could be considered for multiple roles, depending on need.

“Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

• Trevor Rosenthal was scratched from today’s start due to a tight right lat muscle, per MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch. Cardinals manager Mike Matheny tells Langosch that Rosenthal will need a bit of extra rest but didn’t consider the injury to be serious in nature. Brian Stull of WGNU 920AM in St. Louis tweets that an MRI performed on Rosenthal came back clean, and the closer-turned-starter is now targeting Friday of this week for his first start of the spring.

I hope this is good news. I'm trying not to turn into cardsgem with negativity. So tired of all the injuries.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Whether he's in the rotation or the pen, just be healthy. He's still valuable to have around.
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby