Thread: Spring baseball

Default Spring baseball

Game 2 is going on today. Cards up 4-0 in the 3rd. The thing that I saw in the box score (that you don't see very often).

Mike Mayers pitched 2 scoreless innings... with a total of 8 pitches, and 1 strike out.

So... 1 player struck out (3 pitches)... he got the other guys out on first pitch swinging each time. Seems weird to me.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Default Re: Spring baseball

I wouldn't put too much stock in spring training box score pitch counts. From what I've noticed, they're unreliable. Mayers threw more than 8 pitches, for sure.

Also, Ricky just mentioned that Zach Duke might be available to pitch in September.
    The true harbinger of spring is not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of the bat on the ball. ~Bill Veeck

I hope to get to actually watch some ST games this year
    "People ask me what I do in winter when thereís no baseball. Iíll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

The Cardinals announced that right-hander Luke Weaver was removed from today’s Grapefruit League contest due to back spasms (Twitter link). Weaver faced two hitters in the eighth inning of today’s game and retired both before his back acted up. As MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch writes, manager Mike Matheny said he’s unaware of any previous back problems for Weaver, and the team will re-evaluate the top prospect tomorrow. Weaver is battling fellow righties Michael Wacha and Trevor Rosenthal for the final spot in the St. Louis rotation and is by far the least experienced of the group. So while there’s no indication that the injury is especially serious, any time lost this spring could have an adverse impact on Weaver’s chances of laying claim to that vacant starting job.
    The true harbinger of spring is not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of the bat on the ball. ~Bill Veeck

What's with the back injuries? Come on guys, you aren't old men haha
    "People ask me what I do in winter when thereís no baseball. Iíll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

• After coming over from Atlanta in an offseason trade involving Jaime Garcia, righty John Gant might be pitching his way into the Cardinals’ 2017 plans, writes Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Gant, who worked out of both the Braves’ bullpen and rotation in his 50-inning big league debut last year, is “really opening some eyes,” bench coach David Bell told Hummel on Saturday. That came after the 24-year-old tossed three perfect innings and threw 22 of 31 pitches for strikes in a start against his previous team. Overall, Gant has allowed a mere one run on three hits in eight spring innings. “I know he’s had success in the past but I think he’s really put himself into a position where we’re taking a close look at him,” continued Bell.

It appears the right lat muscle soreness Cardinals righty Trevor Rosenthal has been battling will kill his chances of winning a place in the team’s rotation. Moreover, it could stop the ex-closer from beginning the year as a multi-inning fireman, reports Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Rosenthal – now, saying could he get the innings he needs to contribute as a starter or a multiple-inning relief appearance? “I think that is still in question,” said manager Mike Matheny. “It’s very important that at some point this week he gets into a game and we can get that pitch count up.” Regardless of whether Rosenthal is well enough by April to toss multiple innings in an appearance, someone figures to serve as that type of weapon for the Cardinals. General manager John Mozeliak called it “very appealing” to Matheny, and Goold adds that John Gant, Matthew Bowman, Miguel Socolovich, Tyler Lyons and Sam Tuivailala are possibilities to fill that role.

• Manager Mike Matheny confirms that Michael Wacha will serve as the Cardinals’ fifth starter, Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes. Wacha appeared to have the inside track on the job after the team lost top prospect Alex Reyes to an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery. Joining Wacha in the rotation will be Carlos Martinez, Adam Wainwright, Mike Leake and Lance Lynn. The loss of Reyes and the injury situations of a number of pitchers (including Wacha, Tyler Lyons and Marco Gonzales) leave the Cardinals with somewhat depleted depth. Lynn, who is pitching without restrictions as he returns from his own Tommy John surgery, says he’s aiming to reliably make his starts and accumulate innings. “If you set yourself below that, why take the ball?” he says.

Congrats to Wacha! I'm glad they're giving him a shot to become an ace again. He had a ton of potential, and I hope he finally fulfills it.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

I am happy for him too...glad martinez is the opening day starter as well

Anyone think that Jose Martinez won't be our #4 outfielder at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    Anyone think that Jose Martinez won't be our #4 outfielder at this point?

From @Ben_Fred: Tommy Pham has been optioned out. Jose Martinez has pretty much won the fourth outfielder spot. #cardinals #stlcards

It looks like the bench will be: Matt Adams, Jose Martinez, Eric Fryer, Jedd Gyorko and Greg Garcia

Makes sense to me...glad they went with Martinez since he was hitting better.