Thread: Talent is everything in the NFL - that leaves the Lions out year after year

Default Talent is everything in the NFL - that leaves the Lions out year after year

PFF: Lions didn't have any of the NFL's top 98 players in 2016

Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was the team's best player this season. But where does he rate league wide?(Mike Mulholland | MLive.com)

PrintEmail
    By Kyle Meinke | [email protected]
    Follow on Twitter
    on February 08, 2017 at 4:48 PM

ALLEN PARK -- Jim Caldwell says the Detroit Lions don't need to add playmakers. ProFootballFocus seems to differ.
    The advanced analytics site used its grading system to rank the 101 best players in the NFL this past year, and the Lions were shut out of the top 98 spots. Quarterback Matthew Stafford was the team's only inclusion, all the way down at No. 99.
    "Matthew Stafford's revival began last season with the coaching change that saw Jim Bob Cooter put his mark on the team," PFF's Sam Monson wrote. "That turnaround continued into the 2016 season, which was one of Stafford's finest, outside of a couple of ugly performances. Only games against Houston, Dallas and the second Packers game late in the year dragged Stafford down this list and prevented 2016 from being the single-best season of his career."

It is interesting to note that two of Stafford's worst games came in the four-game stretch after he dislocated the middle finger on his throwing hand against Chicago in Week 14. Stafford repeatedly refused to use the injury as an excuse, but the statistics imply he was hurting.
    Stafford completed 94 of 158 passes in the four full games after the injury (59.5 percent) for two touchdowns and three picks. He completed 66.7 percent of his passes before that, for 22 touchdowns and seven picks.
    PFF, which grades players based on how they perform every snap -- and not strictly stats -- said Stafford's best game was actually in the season opener, when he led a stunning 39-35 comeback win in Indianapolis.
    The site also said based on its metrics, Stafford suffered from 39 dropped passes, the most in the league.
    Stafford was the ninth quarterback listed by PFF, trailing Tom Brady (first overall), Aaron Rodgers (third), Matt Ryan (fifth), Andrew Luck (33rd), Russell Wilson (42nd), Derek Carr (50th), Drew Brees (83rd) and Dak Prescott (88th).
    In other words, PFF saw the Lions like many did: A flawed team without a lot of playmakers, but a pretty good (though not elite) quarterback bailing them out. That would help explain why the Lions went 0-6 against playoff teams. They have improved their depth, but still need better players to compete with the best.
    Check out the full list here.

Default Re: Talent is everything in the NFL - that leaves the Lions out year after year

We do need more play makers on both sides of the ball.

Default Re: Talent is everything in the NFL - that leaves the Lions out year after year

You think? since no even made the probowl until a player withdrew, then the Lions had a kick added.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntree View Post
    You think? since no even made the probowl until a player withdrew, then the Lions had a kick added.
    yet they still made it to the playoffs ... and you said WHAT about the coaching?

exactly! The playmakers on this team IMO are Ziggy Ansah when he is heathy, Darrius Slay is starting to become a playmaker, that's it for defense and the only legit playmaker on offense is Stafford. There are players that are good but I wouldn't call them play makers on both sides of the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4realdude View Post
    yet they still made it to the playoffs ... and you said WHAT about the coaching?

Yea they made to the playoff's by backing in, only to be embarrassed once again. by the lack of talent. Forever the LIons have been 5 to 10 key players away from competing at the top level. Until that player gap closed there will be no playoff wins ot appearances in the Super Bowl. I believe in miracles just not with the Lions, they have ruined too many of my days in my lifetime.

Get a good pass rush and you might find that we have a few playmakers in our secondary. Nothing like a hurried/hit QB to put a ball up for Quin or Slay to grab. But they aren't going to make many mistakes if they have all day to throw.

QB like Aaron Rogers were takin a 5 minute nap back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntree View Post
    Yea they made to the playoff's by backing in, only to be embarrassed once again. by the lack of talent. Forever the LIons have been 5 to 10 key players away from competing at the top level. Until that player gap closed there will be no playoff wins ot appearances in the Super Bowl. I believe in miracles just not with the Lions, they have ruined too many of my days in my lifetime.
    No one 'backs into' the playoffs!!!

Believe what you will......the Redskins were favoraited to win, but they lost allowing the Lions to back into the playoff's.

Right no way are the Lions a playoff team, they did not win a single game against any of the teams throught the year that made the playoff's. Finished the season with 4 consective losses. How does any of that make the Lions a playoff team. Add to that the 2016 was relative weak schedule. Not one player made the probowl. Are you convinced yet? A lot of work need to get done before this team is competative and a playoff team. The defense needs to upgrade speed and tackling ability for starters.

Tree they had a ton of injuries at the end of the year that crippled the team at the end of the year, also I forget how many games we played with 3rd string RB's as well as other positions.

Caldwell even said himself injuries is not an excuse that ever team has injuries it is just part of the game. When you head coach says that, that excuse doesn't cut water.
    Why don't all you just admit the truth, the Ford family don't know a fucking thing about football, don't care about football, that all they care about is making money off the team and nothing else. Over 50 years of Ford ownership of the Lions has proven that over and over again.

old man Ford was about making money from the team but I think Martha wants to win. While Caldwell says injuries aren't an excuse but when your playing 2nd and 3rd string players against 1st stringers it's not a fair matchup.

If that was Martha plan why was one of her first critical hires Rod Wood is a financial ROI guy who admited in his intro speech that he knew nothing about football and guessed he woul have to try and learn something about football. As long as the seats are full for ever home game, they get there TV money nothing will evr change.
    Just week management is tooting there horn about upgrading Ford to bid on another Super Bowl. Spending all that money on the upgrades had nothing to do with the Lions fans but to make money off the Super Bowl gloat in the glory the family would get from holding the game in Detroit. Since the Ford's have owned the Lionsit has never been about the fans, just lip service to apease them, so they could make a lot of money. I am not at all against making money but at some point the fans should some of the rewards as well.

rod wood is a financial guy, but he hired Bob Quinn as the general manager. Quinn is a good football player personel guy. He is running the football operations, I do have a lot of confidence in him. This is not the same old Lions, if you think other wise you know what I think you should do Tree.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion, that and $5.00 you can get a cup of coffee at Starucks.