Thread: Royals, Brandon Moss Agree To Two-Year Deal

Royals Royals, Brandon Moss Agree To Two-Year Deal

Royals, Brandon Moss Agree To Two-Year Deal

By Connor Byrne | January 29, 2017 at 1:44pm CDT
    1:44pm: Moss’ deal is “significantly backloaded,” but his 2017 salary isn’t yet known, tweets Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star.
    11:43am: The Royals have agreed to a two-year, $12MM contract with free agent first baseman/outfielder Brandon Moss, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (Twitter link). The deal is pending a physical. ESPN’s Jim Bowden first reported earlier Sunday that Kansas City was nearing an agreement with Moss, an ACES client.
    [Updated Royals Dept Chart]
    Signing with the Royals will keep the 33-year-old Moss in Missouri, where he played the past season-plus as a member of the Cardinals. In 2016, his only full campaign in St. Louis, the powerful Moss slugged 28 home runs in 464 plate appearances and posted a .259 ISO. The latter figure ranked 13th among major leaguers with at least 450 PAs, though Moss didn’t register a particularly impress overall line (.225/.300/.484) and hit just .191/.248/.392 after the All-Star break. Moss’ second-half woes offset the red-hot .256/.344/.566 triple slash he logged in the first three-plus months of the year.
    Moss also had a relatively mediocre 2015, which was thanks in part to a hip injury, but the lefty-swinger is a well-regarded clubhouse presence and a four-time 20-home run hitter who should at least give the Royals a capable bat against right-handed pitchers. Plus, Moss has typically been usable against southpaws, although they stymied him last season.
    Defensively, Moss spent the lion’s share of 2016 in the corner outfield and also saw plenty of time at first base – areas where the Royals already possess everyday-caliber players. Eric Hosmer is set to occupy first again in 2017, while Alex Gordon and offseason acquisition Jorge Soler are the team’s top options in the corner outfield. Moss will likely slot in primarily at designated hitter if the deal goes through, then, as the Royals have been lacking there since Kendrys Morales signed with the Blue Jays in November.
    Kansas City will be the seventh major league team for Moss, who debuted with the Red Sox in 2007 and then broke out with the Athletics in 2012. Nearly all of Moss’ big league homers (123 of 138) have come since then.
    Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Default Re: Royals, Brandon Moss Agree To Two-Year Deal

Good for Moss. I think the Royals will be happy with the signing. Moss, I'm sure, is very happy to get a 2 year deal.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Unless Jose Martinez makes the team or Matt Adams learns to play the OF, we still probably need another OF. Moss got more than I'd have wanted the Cardinals to have paid, especially since he'll make $8 million in his second year of the contract.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

The Cardinals must have a plan in the outfield. They haven't been even tossed around for signing people.

How on earth is Sergio Romo not signed? He would be a great addition to the BP.
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Figured this was a good place to mention that Seth Maness is heading to KC.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...63586a8e3.html

JUPITER, Fla. • One of the first teams to show an interest in Seth Maness this offseason is also the team that's giving him a chance to show baseball there may be a quicker path back from a ligament tear.Maness has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Kansas City Royals, and the contract comes with an invitation to major-league spring training.
    A source confirmed that Maness will make $1.25 million if he reaches the majors. He can also opt out of the deal in mid-May if he does not have a spot in the Royals' major-league bullpen. The righthander, set free by the Cardinals this past December, had been looking for a place that would allow him to prove he's ready and healthy for spring training.

I hope Maness rocks it out and lands himself a big contract next year!!! He's worked hard to get back, and deserves it.

Seth did a nice job here. Good luck to him across the state.
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby