Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Packers

Default 2017 Packers

So who goes? Does it stay status quo? How many more times does GB exit the playoffs because they can't stop the opposing team? Yea, injuries were a factor but we can't use it as an excuse. We will continue to see the same results if there isn't change. TT has to go. Relying on draft alone is a failure. Capers has to go. No, he can't go out and play for the defense but he has to put them in the best position to succeed. Lack of pass rush is on the players. Unable to cover receivers is on the players. Constantly confused, out of position, wide open RB's out in the flat is squarely on Capers. Last but not least, the strength and conditioning coach/trainer has to go. I know injuries are a part of the game but GB takes it to another level when it comes to the health of the players. They had to have had the most injured players out of all the teams in the playoffs.
    2017 GREEN BAY PACKERS-When will the defense be the difference?

Default Re: 2017 Packers

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...fast/97088550/

Looks like Capers will be back. Unless GB picks up a free agent or two on defense, I don't see anything changing.

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup4 View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...fast/97088550/

Looks like Capers will be back. Unless GB picks up a free agent or two on defense, I don't see anything changing.
    I think if he has a few play-makers he can call a good defense. Read Bob McGinns rating on the defensive players, The roster isnt very good. I really dont know who could do better.

The only thought against Capers I have is this.... Many rosters and many bad defenses. Maybe its enough of a trend.

The last time they had a good defense they had a fresh Clay matthews, Nick Collins at his peak, BJ Raji, and Charles Woodson. The replacements for the injured players were probably better players than the hurt guys. I have wonder if they even have 1 player of that caliber now.

I hope the draft produces some guys and maybe TT can find a free agent that still around like woodson was.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    I think if he has a few play-makers he can call a good defense. Read Bob McGinns rating on the defensive players, The roster isnt very good. I really dont know who could do better.

The only thought against Capers I have is this.... Many rosters and many bad defenses. Maybe its enough of a trend.

The last time they had a good defense they had a fresh Clay matthews, Nick Collins at his peak, BJ Raji, and Charles Woodson. The replacements for the injured players were probably better players than the hurt guys. I have wonder if they even have 1 player of that caliber now.

I hope the draft produces some guys and maybe TT can find a free agent that still around like woodson was.
    I think that's the other problem. TT has been striking out more than hitting home runs on draft picks. I truly believe there has to be change or we will just see the same results.

I wonder if Revis has anything left in the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup4 View Post
    I wonder if Revis has anything left in the tank?
    He is getting pretty long in the tooth. I think he is more of a safety at this point.

Far from nowhere, and in the the middle of everywhere

Ok, now that we know basically the same old cast is back for coaches and management this is what I would like to see done. Whether it happens, is another discussion altogether.

Out of our own free agents on offens, I'm of the mindset we give Lacy another one year prove it deal depending how healthy he actually is. Perhaps give Michael a one or two year deal. On the OL, we have Barclay, Tretter, and Lang who are available. I would most likely let Barclay walk. He's a serviceable player, but nothing too special. Between Tretter and Lang, I'm maybe leaning toward Tretter. He's more versatile. He can play almost anywhere on the line if we need him to. And it goes without question you resign Cook to a multi-year deal.

On the defensive side of the ball, I'm gonna say you need to resign Hyde. He's not some total world beater, but he's another versatile guy you can stick into spots others don't fit at all. Unless a deal for Perry can be struck quickly, I have a feeling we will be kissing him good-bye. If that be the case, I'm guessing we can get Jones back at a good price and he has had his flashes as well. Perhaps he makes a jump up in ability. As far as Peppers goes, I love the guy, but he's old. That's not a knock on him, it's just reality and considering he wasn't particularly effective in the decreased playing time he did have, I can't see him being a priority.

Lastly just resign Goode as he is reliable and consistent. No need to get rid some someone just because.

I've heard rumblings of the Packers being open to trading Hundley. I'm not opposed to seeing that happen. We have Joe Callahan for another season and he's not bad at all. If we can get a 4th or 5th for him (I think he's worth that) we could pick up another project at the position.

From other rumblings I've heard, it might not be a bad thing to cut ties with Letroy Guion. He seems to be having more legal issues and was very ineffective when he came back. Along the same lines of cutting the fat, I'm not sure I'm all that opposed to letting Clay Matthews go. He's a good player, but he can't seem to stay healthy and when he has been on the field he hasn't been as effective as he should have been. Not that I was asking for 20 sacks and 100 tackles. It would have been nice to see around 12 sacks and some tackles for loss. I honestly felt he was more effective on the inside. At the very least, I would love to see the Packers restructure his contract to open up some cap space.

When it comes to other team's free agents, I'd like to see the Packers pick up an OLB/DE and one CB at the very least. I'd actually even suggest finding a decent ILB if one could be found, but then again Ryan and Martinez could definitely make some strides in the offseason, so that one is debatable. If one or both of Lang and Tretter sign elsewhere, I would suggest someone on the OL as well. I don't think this team needs to sign a bunch of free agents to fix some of the problems especially on defense.

In the draft, I'm less versed as to who is projected to go where so I would stick to BPA in round one depending on who is available at 29. If a top CB is available, I'd be willing to jump unless the Packers drop a good amount on a top FA CB. I've seen a ton of articles saying TJ Watt is definitely on their radar in the first round. He sounds like he could be a reach based on some injury history and his relative short history of quality production at his position. If the Packers draft a RB or two as I've read, it should be in the first three rounds and a guy with break away speed. I don't see anyone currently on our roster who has that kind of speed. Go get a good CB in the first three rounds and a quality outside pass rusher. So first three rounds should be a mix of CB, OLB/DE, and RB. At least in my opinion. If Cook is not resigned, I'm thinking TE jumps into the mix of top needs. Outside of Cook, Rodgers just doesn't possess the skillset to be a top TE. After that, I'm thinking BPA. All defensive additions should be adding speed to the defense. The defense seemed to sorely lack speed at some of the key positions like CB and LB.

With all that being said, I'm not sure I see much happening in free agency outside of signing our own. I think that's rather sad, though. This team needs at least a couple strategic free agent pickups. I just don't see the draft being able to provide enough players to fill the holes in this team.

I see Davon House has been released by the Jags. Could they bring him back? I dont expect he would be incredible, but maybe bring some veteran leadership and he is technically one of Teds guys.

Nick Perry is re-signing with the Packers. Rumors are saying Micah Hyde will be leaving, to early to tell for sure.

I think the Packers will try to re-sign Cook, but I think Lang might be on the way out.

Talks with Jared Cook have broken off and he's going to visit the Lions, Bears and Bills. Does he really want to go back to what he was doing in all the years prior to 2016, not going to the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by iwaboy View Post
    Talks with Jared Cook have broken off and he's going to visit the Lions, Bears and Bills. Does he really want to go back to what he was doing in all the years prior to 2016, not going to the playoffs?
    Signing Bennet makes all of the moot to us. It's debatable, but I think Cook did a good job for us and did his best for us at the most crucial time.

I would really like to know what Cook was asking for considering Bennet got three years $18+million. Health also had to be considered as Cook did miss a chunk of time, which didn't help negotiations.

I see Davon House has been released by the Jags. Could they bring him back? I dont expect he would be incredible, but maybe bring some veteran leadership and he is technically one of Teds guys.
    So House is back. Not the free agent signing I was looking for. Unless they draft a blue chip CB I don't see any change in the way the defense plays this coming season.

I think he will be better than what we have currently. Unless Randall and Rollins make a big step forward.

Like in typical TT fashion the Packers back out of the 1st round. i would assume for more picks. the majority of the talking heads have GB taking a CB with their 1st pick, a couple have them taking a RB. they need both. TT's philosophy is throw enough mud at the wall and something is bound to stick. lets see what happens.......

Alrighty. The draft is over and I'm not sure what to think of this draft. The front of the draft is great. Got some pretty good defensive help that could most likely contribute quickly. The offensive picks have me a little puzzled. I like the WR picks and think the Packers got some great value from them. The OL pick was good as we obviously needed one of those as well. I'm not sure what to say about the three RB picks. Two wasn't a bad idea, but the last one has me totally scratching my head.

I have a feeling at the very least Don Jackson will be on his way out unless he takes a big step forward. I also feel Janis unless he shows the ability we all thought he would show is gone as well. Both WR pickups were stars on their respective teams and most likely contributors on special teams.

I think the two DBs we picked up in the draft are great picks to replace Shields and Hyde. Vince Biegle is considered by some to be a more complete player than TJ Watt is and I'm not sure I disagree. I'm very happy to see the Packers picked up one of these two. The Adams pick is a solid pick and really cool that he became a daddy the same day he was drafted. Hopefully that is good luck for him as he starts his career in the NFL.

Overall, I'm pretty please with this draft. Again the three RBs confuses me and makes me wonder why another position wasn't picked up like another LB, but however, I'm still excited to see what happens with this team and feel good things will happen this upcoming season.

On the Surface it looks like a great draft. Of course we need King, Jones and Biegel to be great to make that true. Each of those 3 has potential to be that, but you never know what you are truly getting in the draft.

I do like the draft overall for the Packers

I called it on Jackson. Released today.

I have no idea why dupre fell to 247, I thought he was a 3-4 round talent. king is a great value pick but I think dupre could be one of the sotd. Pissed the Vikings took two WRs late over him.

On the Surface it looks like a great draft. Of course we need King, Jones and Biegel to be great to make that true. Each of those 3 has potential to be that, but you never know what you are truly getting in the draft.

I do like the draft overall for the Packers
    I think we will know what the Packers are about after they play a good offensive team. Last year I made the mistake of believing the hype that was coming out of training camp and thought the defense had turned the corner. I was wrong. The past several drafts, GB has drafted defensive heavy and hasn't delivered on the field for a long time. For all we know we might see the same crap as last year. I will get excited when I see the defense start to do its part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast