Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Cardinals

Default 2016 Cardinals

Lineup:

1B: Brandon Moss - $8.25 mil
    2B: Kolten Wong - Pre-arb ($520k in 2015)
    3B: Matt Carpenter - $6.5 mil
    SS: Jhonny Peralta - $12.5 mil
    C: Yadier Molina - $14.2 mil
    LF: Matt Holliday - $17 mil
    CF: Randall Grichuk - Pre-arb ($510k in 2015)
    RF: Stephen Piscotty - Pre-arb

Lineup salary: $60 mil

Rotation:

1: Adam Wainwright - $19.5 mil
    2: Jaime Garcia - $11.5 mil (team option exercised)
    3: Carlos Martinez - Pre-arb ($520k in 2015)
    4: Michael Wacha - Pre-arb ($520k in 2015)
    5: Mike Leake - $12 mil

Rotation Salary: $44 mil

Bench:

IF: Jedd Gyorko - $4 mil
    OF: Tommy Pham - Pre-arb ($507.5k in 2015)
    IF: Greg Garcia - Pre-arb
    1B: Matt Adams - $1.65 mil
    C: Brayan Pena - $2.5 mil

Bench Salary: $8.65 mil

Bullpen:

Cl: Trevor Rosenthal - $5.6 mil
    R: Seung-hwan Oh - $5 mil
    R: Jonathan Broxton - $3.75 mil
    R: Jordan Walden - $3.675 mil
    R: Seth Maness - $1.4 mil
    L: Kevin Siegrist - Pre-arb ($518k in 2015)
    L: TBD, likely one of Tyler Lyons, Tim Cooney, Dean Kiekhefer, Marco Gonzales - Pre-arb

Bullpen salary: $20.5 mil

25-man Roster Total Salary: ~$133.15 mil

DL:

Lance Lynn - $7.5 mil - Will miss the entire 2016 season after arm surgery

Also on 40-man roster:
    RHP Matthew Bowman (Rule 5)
    RHP Mitch Harris
    RHP Sam Tuivailala
    RHP Miguel Socolovich
    LHP Tyler Lyons
    LHP Tim Cooney
    LHP Jayson Aquino
    LHP Marco Gonzales
    LHP Dean Kiekhefer
    C Mike Ohlman
    OF Anthony Garcia
    CF Charlie Tilson
    IF Dean Anna
    SS Aledmys Diaz

Non-Roster Invitees:
    RHP Silfredo Garcia
    RHP Juan Gonzalez
    RHP Jeremy Hefner
    RHP Deck McGuire
    RHP Trey Nielsen
    RHP Daniel Poncedeleon
    RHP Robby Rowland
    RHP JC Sulbaran
    RHP Tyler Waldron
    RHP Luke Weaver
    LHP Austin Gomber
    LHP Corey Littrell
    C Steve Bean
    C Luis Cruz
    C Eric Fryer
    C Carson Kelly
    C Alberto Rosario
    IF Jonathan Rodriguez
    IF David Washington
    IF Jacob Wilson
    IF Patrick Wisdom
    OF Jeremy Hazelbaker
    Last edited by The Tardis; 01-29-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Updated for arbitration salaries, NRIs
    Would it be okay with you if we wrote a reminder of things we'd forget to do today otherwise, using a green magic marker (if it's alright), on the back of your head?

Default Re: 2016 Cardinals

No time like the present. The Cards can return a remarkably complete team from the club that won 100 games this year, but should they? Or should they shake things up?

The organization may be looking to save some cash by waiving players whose salaries exceed their roles. In particular, I think Brandon Moss, Steve Cishek, Jonathan Broxton, Peter Bourjos, and maybe even Jon Jay are probably on the bubble.

I'll be shocked if the team doesn't add at least a couple free agent relievers to fill out the pen.
    Would it be okay with you if we wrote a reminder of things we'd forget to do today otherwise, using a green magic marker (if it's alright), on the back of your head?

Looking over the free agent market briefly, the depth seems to be mostly in pitching, but the rotation looks pretty solid as is, so barring a trade and hoping for health, there's not much room to improve there. On the position side, two big names stand out: Justin Upton is probably the best bat available and Jason Heyward is probably the best player. We do have an exclusive negotiating window with Heyward until the start of free agency (HINT HINT HINT, Mo).

Another thought: the outfield seems a bit crowded. Any chance Matt Holliday could be persuaded to buy a first baseman's mitt this offseason?

I think Cards should sell very high on Grichuk, the kid has no plate discipline at all, you never have to throw him a strike to get him out

I don't see a need to trade anyone this offseason. Resign Heyward and sign Chris Davis. Done! If they can do that, they'll be an unstoppable team.

Outfield: Pham, Grichuk, Piscotty, Holiday, Heyward (and if anyone gets hurt Jay)
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

Not so certian Wong might be dealt to, guy has so many issues making easy plays that it is not even funny, yet he can make great ones don't get it and he doesn't know wtf a strike is either, maybe move him and get Carp back to 2b and get a top of line 3b

Speaking of 3B... this Paul Dejong had an awesome first season. We drafted him in the 4th round. He played 3B all season, and moved right up to A ball.

He had 256 AB's between rookie and A ball...

.316 .397 .516 913
    "I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," - Stan Kroenke April 2010

That said... I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on Wong. However, his ops+ being 92 this year isn't impressive. However, he had a 2.2 WAR, which isn't bad.

I hope we:
    1. Re-sign Heyward.
    2. Re-sign Lackey.
    3. Figure out if Adams is the answer at 1B or if Piscotty will be moved to first.
    4. Upgrade the bench. If Moss stays with the team, okay. But, for the love of all that is good and holy, get rid of Kozma! While we're at it, dump Bourjos.
    5. Please don't keep Broxton.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

• Cardinals GM John Mozeliak will look for an upgrade over backup infielder Pete Kozma this winter, writes MLB.com’s Jen Langosch. As Langosch writes, manager Mike Matheny was hesitant to insert Kozma — an excellent fielder but very weak hitter — into the lineup over either Jhonny Peralta or Kolten Wong, possibly leading to each wearing down this year. Mozeliak will also look for more depth on the pitching staff, though he’s content with the internal starting options he has on the roster. Per Langosch, there will be “a shakeup” in the bullpen this winter, however.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Pretty expected.... "shake up" of the pen is obvious. If Walden can return, and assuming Marco gets the second lefty gig... there won't be many signings there. Unfortunately, I think Lackey's time as a Cardinal is over. Waino, Lynn, Wacha, Martinez, Garcia, Marco and Reyes are already overloading our rotation.

We could REALLY use Chris Davis. I think he's obviously the #2 option behind Heyward. There's no way the team spends on both. If Adams shows the ability to bunt to break the shift... I'm fine with him. Otherwise, we need a better option at 1B.

Broxton has to be gone. I would guess they keep or trade Moss. He seemed to be making a bit of a comeback. 6.5mil is quite a bit, but he has value, and potential. An OPS+ of 110-120 is probably what he projects next year.

I'm not so worried about middle infield help. I'd be fine with Greg Garcia as the primary backup, and later in the year, we're probably looking at Aledmys Diaz and/or Jacob Wilson knocking on the door to the majors. None of these are great defensive options at short, but shortstops who play good defense and can hit decently or better aren't looking for bench jobs.

If they sign Heyward, would they plan on making him the primary center fielder?

I think they're ok with Grichuk and Pham playing most of the CF. I wouldn't be surprised if Jay found a way to make the roster too. But, his lack of pop makes him difficult to keep around.

Will they keep Moss AND Adams? Seems like it would be a little redundant.

Cardinals have officially exercised Jaime Garcia's 11.5 million dollar option for 2016. They also hold a 12 million dollar team option for 2017.

I suppose that move makes sense but I wonder whether they'd do it or not
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

Seems like a no-brainer.
    "How good was Stan Musial? He was good enough to take your breath away." -Vin Scully.

No brainer to accept Garcia's option

Also as expected, the team declined Broxton's option. They also outrighted Pete Kozma, Ed Easley, and Travis Tartamella, freeing up space on the 40-man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tardis View Post
    Also as expected, the team declined Broxton's option. They also outrighted Pete Kozma, Ed Easley, and Travis Tartamella, freeing up space on the 40-man roster.
    So long, Broxton. Sorry to see you go, Pete, but let's be honest. You stink.
    "How good was Stan Musial? He was good enough to take your breath away." -Vin Scully.

Cards add three prospects to 40-man roster.

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/news/arti...rdinals-roster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast