Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Papelbon to Nats for RHP Nick Pivetta

Default Papelbon to Nats for RHP Nick Pivetta

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=pivett000nic

Pivetta is a big (6'5",220) AA RHP who throws hard. BA had him at #10 in the Nationals' org before the season. MLB.com produced midseason lists today with Pivetta at #12 for Washington.

Phils are apparently eating no salary, while the Nats have guaranteed his 2016 salary at $11M and agreed to make him their closer.
    Last edited by LastTrain; 07-28-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Default Re: Papelbon to Nats for RHP Nick Pivetta

Even if he ends up being a bullpen piece or a back of the rotation guy, eating no salary in that deal is crazy to me.

Outstanding!
    Quote Originally Posted by Douche View Post
    Back in my day, men played with wood.

In the Shadow of Eastern St. Penitentiary

Hard to believe, Harry.
    The whole world's glued to the cable TV
    It looks so real on the big LCD
    murder and violence are rated PG, too bad for the children
    they are what they see

Joe Walsh "Analog Man"

For my Brother; May he RIP

Phillie game and series recaps, Temple Football recaps and previews, and Union stuff, as well as misc. tweeting for http://www.pattisonave.com/ @Pattisonavenue

I'd rather eat salary and get something more. Hope Hamels doesn't end up being essentially a salary dump.
    Bonus fake Keith Jackson appearance: "Whoa, Nellie, we have ourselves a barn-burner here today! Welcome to the 117th dust-up between the Snortin' Swine of Springfield A&M and the Springfield University Nittany Tide. Ho, ho, doctor, break out the hickory switch! Well, hang on to your hoop skirts, folks, because Anton Lubchenko is going to be kicking higher than a mule on payday. Oh, land o'lakes! Take that, ozone layer! (later in the game) Oh, doctor, with SU behind and seconds left, my supply of homespun sayings is lower than a doodlebug in Aunt Tilly's root cellar. So we'll -- Oh, jumpin' crawdaddies! Is that Lubchenko coming back on the field?"
    SU Nittany Tide's own Anton Lubchenko!

I don't think they were ever going to get much in return for Papelbon regardless if they ate salary or not. Every team in MLB knew he wanted out and every team in MLB knew the Phillies wanted to get rid of him. The Phillies had no bargaining position.

Quote Originally Posted by SU Nittany Tide View Post
    I'd rather eat salary and get something more. Hope Hamels doesn't end up being essentially a salary dump.
    They may have been able to get more of a return, but there wasn't much of a market for relievers. The Mets gave up a rough equivalent (albeit further away than Pivetta) for two months of Tyler Clippard. Nats are already paying out top of the market money for Papelbon next season.

The Phillies did end up eating salary...$4.5M to get the Nats through most of the rest of this season. I don't know. I get the part of Papelbon being difficult to trade because of the option, but who's to blame for that? Maybe they didn't have leverage because he wanted out so badly, but look at his numbers. He's one of the best relievers ever, could be in the top 10 in saves by the end of the year, and has been lights out in multiple postseasons (totally lights out except for one game in the '09 division series). Sounds like someone other than a guy you trade for a prospect ranked somewhere around #300 in baseball who tops out with middle of the rotation projections. For now I'll take solace in the "upside" scouting reports about Pivetta.

Quote Originally Posted by LastTrain View Post
    The Phillies did end up eating salary...$4.5M to get the Nats through most of the rest of this season. I don't know. I get the part of Papelbon being difficult to trade because of the option, but who's to blame for that? Maybe they didn't have leverage because he wanted out so badly, but look at his numbers. He's one of the best relievers ever, could be in the top 10 in saves by the end of the year, and has been lights out in multiple postseasons (totally lights out except for one game in the '09 division series). Sounds like someone other than a guy you trade for a prospect ranked somewhere around #300 in baseball who tops out with middle of the rotation projections. For now I'll take solace in the "upside" scouting reports about Pivetta.
    Except that the Phillies bought him at the peak of the closer market. So he's somewhat overpriced, even if he is one of the better closers out there. And your point here about the diminished return due to the contract negotiated by Rube is also valid.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarm22 View Post
    Except that the Phillies bought him at the peak of the closer market. So he's somewhat overpriced, even if he is one of the better closers out there.
    That was true at the beginning of the trade talks. By the time the deal was consummated, Washington gets him for 1.333 years at $11M, so $8,250,000 per annum for an elite all-time closer. Very strong deal for Washington, OK for Philly depending what they do with his savings. Of course, if Papelbon's velocity decrease does affect his results at some point before 10/2016, it won't look so good for the Nats...but we don't yet have any basis for predicting that will happen.

That was true at the beginning of the trade talks. By the time the deal was consummated, Washington gets him for 1.333 years at $11M, so $8,250,000 per annum for an elite all-time closer. Very strong deal for Washington, OK for Philly depending what they do with his savings. Of course, if Papelbon's velocity decrease does affect his results at some point before 10/2016, it won't look so good for the Nats...but we don't yet have any basis for predicting that will happen.
    What is usually the going rate for relievers at the trade deadline? I really did not expect much at all for Papelbon for same reasons as jcarm is discussing. He's making pretty good money. Based on your calculations above, it's not terrible at all for the Nationals but teams also know what they're getting in him with his personality. Him speaking out at the All Star Game and all has to play into the fact that the Phillies did not get much in return.

The loss of velocity has already begun, and if anything we're seeing that he's adjusting quite well to it.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now
    Someone please tell me it's not a train

The Nats have basically screwed the closer they had before (Storen) who wasn't all that bad. Sure, it gives them a sold 8th inning guy, but damn that sucks for him

Storen tweeted that he's talked to Rizzo and his agent, and will have no further comment until his agent talks to Rizzo. Papelbon is already a clubhouse cancer in DC!

Quote Originally Posted by ill View Post
    The Nats have basically screwed the closer they had before (Storen) who wasn't all that bad. Sure, it gives them a sold 8th inning guy, but damn that sucks for him
    Storen tweeted that he's talked to Rizzo and his agent, and will have no further comment until his agent talks to Rizzo. Papelbon is already a clubhouse cancer in DC!
    Hey they already had like 5-6 starters, so now they can have 2-3 closers as well to compliment them They need to bring Riggleman back to get them all playing time.
    they are what they see

Joe Walsh "Analog Man"

Phillie game and series recaps, Temple Football recaps and previews, and Union stuff, as well as misc. tweeting for http://www.pattisonave.com/ @Pattisonavenue

So, it's OK to trade within your division if you're torpedoing their clubhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayneb14 View Post
    I don't think they were ever going to get much in return for Papelbon regardless if they ate salary or not. Every team in MLB knew he wanted out and every team in MLB knew the Phillies wanted to get rid of him. The Phillies had no bargaining position.
    While that may be true, let's just say Toronto and Washington were involved in trading for him.
    Comes down to which team outbids the other.
    In theory, all that other stuff just goes away.

We can only hope that mutliple teams will line up for Hamels and that paranoia sets in. Just not on us . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ill View Post
    This is like the 3rd time he's been replaced. And the Nats were rumored to be interested in every closer on the market. It probably should have been pretty clear to Storen that the FO didn't have complete faith in him.

Like we did not see this coming
    http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-le...after-beanball
    Philadelphia fan favorite Jonathan Papelbon is back in the news today thanks in part to the showmanship of Baltimore Orioles' slugger Manny Machado and his impressive 2-run home run off of Max Scherzer late in the Nationals loss last night.
    In a very entertaining at-bat, Scherzer and Machado battled before the Orioles third baseman took a 98-mph fastball and deposited it 435 feet out into the center field seats to put Baltimore ahead.
    It was what happened after the swing that's making waves today.
    Machado, a player known to have a history of pissing people off, took a moment to admire his rather impressive home run before beginning a very slow jog around the bases.
    Enter former Nationals closer Jonathan Papelbon two innings later who came into the game with his team still trailing. Papelbon got 2 outs in the ninth before Machado came up to bat. He missed high and inside on the first pitch which got people's attention, then missed away on the second, before hitting Machado on the third pitch, once again high and inside.Machado and the Orioles were clearly unhappy at Papelbon throwing so high and Manny can be seen mouthing something along the lines of, "not at my head/hands."
    Papelbon was promptly ejected. After the game everyone had an opinion on the situation. Machado called it, "coward stuff."
    ďItís something thatís uncalled for,Ē he said. ďItís [garbage]. Itís something that you donít do. I expect more from a guy like that, with the past that he has. Youíve just got to go out there and keep playing baseball. Itís part of the game. If you canít take the heat, just stay out of the kitchen and just go on from it. You donít throw at somebodyís head. I think thatís [garbage]. I think weíve just got to keep playing baseball.Ē
    Papelbon didn't exactly deny it being an intentional beanball.
    ďThey just said they deemed it intentional. They didnít give me any reason,Ē he said. ďI donít know if they have to give me a reason or not. But perception is reality. If Manny thinks I hit him, then thatís what he thinks. Iím not going to sit here and go back and forth whether I did or whether I didnít, cause it doesnít matter. If he thinks I did, thatís what he thinks.Ē
    The best part about all of this, for us observers up here in Philadelphia at least, is that even Papelbon's teammates already appear tired of his act.
    ďI mean, Manny freaking hit a homer and walked it off, and somebody drilled him,Ē Bryce Harper said. ďItís pretty tired. Itís one of those situations where it happens. I donít know. Iíll probably get drilled tomorrow. Weíll see what happens.Ē
    The two teams play again today at 4:05 if you'd like to see what happens.
    they are what they see

Joe Walsh "Analog Man"

Apparently a bit of an altercation between Harper and Papelbon b/4 he came out and took the loss against the Phillies as the start of an 8 run 9th inning.
    http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/700-le...lphia-phillies.
    September 27, 2015, 5:45 pm

COM

During the Phillies' 12-5 win over the Nationalson Sunday afternoon, tempers flared in the Washington dugout between two players Phillies fans are very familiar with.
    Former Phils closer Jonathan Papelbon grabbed outfielder Bryce Harper by the neck in the dugout after Harper flew out to left field.
    After the altercation, Harper exited the game, while Papelbon went back to pitch the ninth.
    Video here
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v505434983/tbtor-donaldson-launches-a-walkoff-solo-homer
    Last edited by brett5355; 09-27-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    they are what they see

Joe Walsh "Analog Man"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast