Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Papelbon to Nats for RHP Nick Pivetta

Default Re: Papelbon to Nats for RHP Nick Pivetta

Quote Originally Posted by jcarm22 View Post
    Eleven anonymous players and LaTroy Hawkins.

Cliff Floyd and Mark DeRosa are willing to go on record and say Paps is wrong.
    http://nesn.com/2015/09/jonathan-pap...-harper-brawl/
    In Nitkowski's article...you have to follow a couple of links...he says "It’s easy to lose sight of what the game was like the further you get away from it, so I polled well more than a dozen former and current players I know about what happened Sunday in Washington.
    Not one fully backed Bryce Harper. Not one. " http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-...-coming-092715 But I guess its under the umbrella of Fox Sports so...that's associated with Joe Buck....maybe the whole thing is a hoax.

Matthew 12:34b From the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
    You're not the devil. You're practice.

Quote Originally Posted by fullxtension View Post
    In Nitkowski's article...you have to follow a couple of links...he says "It’s easy to lose sight of what the game was like the further you get away from it, so I polled well more than a dozen former and current players I know about what happened Sunday in Washington.
    Not one fully backed Bryce Harper. Not one. " http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-...-coming-092715 But I guess its under the umbrella of Fox Sports so...that's associated with Joe Buck....maybe the whole thing is a hoax.
    He called a bunch of people that he knows would agree with him. And then uses that as validation.

I think there's a two word phrase that they use to describe it. Constitution byes, or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douche View Post
    Back in my day, men played with wood.

Quote Originally Posted by fullxtension View Post
    In Nitkowski's article...you have to follow a couple of links...he says "Itís easy to lose sight of what the game was like the further you get away from it, so I polled well more than a dozen former and current players I know about what happened Sunday in Washington.
    Holy shit

He called a bunch of people that he knows would agree with him. And then uses that as validation.

I think there's a two word phrase that they use to describe it. Constitution byes, or something like that.
    "Writer" sets out to write a column with an agenda, knows lots of asshole players personally, just happens to find that everyone agrees with him!

Confirmation Bias

Quote Originally Posted by Calm View Post
    "Writer" sets out to write a column with an agenda, knows lots of asshole players personally, just happens to find that everyone agrees with him!
    It's a Festivus miracle!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    Confirmation Bias
    Same thing, for all intensive porpoises.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    Confirmation Bias
    Also, it's freaking hysterical that Nitkowski claims that none of the guys he "randomly" polled have a bias.

The fact that there is a discussion about this shows how shitty the media is now, are their still real journalists out there or does everyone have an agenda? It has been said in this thread already but Bryce Harper legit like last year even the beginning of this year was being talked about in regards to slowing down and not going balls to the wall because he was getting hurt? In what world do these same journalists make Harper to be the bad guy in this situation. Also if it was like another position player or even like a starting number one ace I'd be less offended. The person who got in his face was a closer who at most pitches what 60-70 innings a year? Hey, Pap you go full bore every night because after you pitch two innings in back to back days they rest you.

P.S-To individuals who brought up J-Roll, not running balls out was an issue for like his entire career and he was like a leader on the team, like no question one of the leaders. Harper is a 22 year old star but I don't think he is quite the leader of the team. You can argue it doesn't matter but I really think it does in this case.

Eh. One douchebag chokes another douchebag. Such is the Nats. Seems more like something the Mets would have going on.
    Bonus fake Keith Jackson appearance: "Whoa, Nellie, we have ourselves a barn-burner here today! Welcome to the 117th dust-up between the Snortin' Swine of Springfield A&M and the Springfield University Nittany Tide. Ho, ho, doctor, break out the hickory switch! Well, hang on to your hoop skirts, folks, because Anton Lubchenko is going to be kicking higher than a mule on payday. Oh, land o'lakes! Take that, ozone layer! (later in the game) Oh, doctor, with SU behind and seconds left, my supply of homespun sayings is lower than a doodlebug in Aunt Tilly's root cellar. So we'll -- Oh, jumpin' crawdaddies! Is that Lubchenko coming back on the field?"
    SU Nittany Tide's own Anton Lubchenko!

Quote Originally Posted by SU Nittany Tide View Post
    Eh. One douchebag chokes another douchebag. Such is the Nats. Seems more like something the Mets would have going on.
    Seriously. I hate Bryce Harper, and I hate defending him here due to my hatred of him. But I can't condone unprovoked assault.

dammit Harper, stop pissing everyone off

Quote Originally Posted by LastTrain View Post
    The Phillies did end up eating salary...$4.5M to get the Nats through most of the rest of this season. I don't know. I get the part of Papelbon being difficult to trade because of the option, but who's to blame for that? Maybe they didn't have leverage because he wanted out so badly, but look at his numbers. He's one of the best relievers ever, could be in the top 10 in saves by the end of the year, and has been lights out in multiple postseasons (totally lights out except for one game in the '09 division series). Sounds like someone other than a guy you trade for a prospect ranked somewhere around #300 in baseball who tops out with middle of the rotation projections. For now I'll take solace in the "upside" scouting reports about Pivetta.
    Quote Originally Posted by LastTrain View Post
    That was true at the beginning of the trade talks. By the time the deal was consummated, Washington gets him for 1.333 years at $11M, so $8,250,000 per annum for an elite all-time closer. Very strong deal for Washington, OK for Philly depending what they do with his savings. Of course, if Papelbon's velocity decrease does affect his results at some point before 10/2016, it won't look so good for the Nats...but we don't yet have any basis for predicting that will happen.
    Idiot.

This trade was good by most accounts when it happened (except those quoted here), turned tremendous when Papelbon proved to be such a disaster in the Washington clubhouse…and dugout…and now looks almost too good be true because Pivetta is really doing well.
    Pivetta pitches at 10:35 this morning for LV and is off to a great start there this year. Small population size, obviously, but hopefully today builds on it.

Outstanding!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy.gif 
Views:	3 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	9575

Nola to the 10-day DL, so maybe Pivetta gets the call for Wednesday's game. Could also be Morgan, though I doubt he's stretched out enough to start a game right now. Jake Thompson perhaps, but he's been pretty bad and just started on Sunday.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456