Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Papelbon to Nats for RHP Nick Pivetta

Default Re: Papelbon to Nats for RHP Nick Pivetta

Quote Originally Posted by ill View Post
    I guess i am out of touch here
    Even the guys that are "hustling" to first on balls like that are not going all-out. There's simply no reason to put forth maximum effort on a ball that gets caught 99.9999999% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douche View Post
    Back in my day, men played with wood.

well Papelbon has been suspended for the remainder of the season

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/9/2...r-dugout-fight

When you are Craig Counsell or David Eckstein, you better bust your ass all the time. When you put up a .650 OPS year after year, you need every base you can get.

When you're sporting an 1.100 OPS and about to win the MVP, and your team is out of the playoff race, I don't give a fuck if you jog to first or not. Harper has the reputation of playing hard every game. He doesn't dog it out there. Coupled with the fact that Papelbon is just the biggest dick-head in the game at this moment, he has no business shooting his ass-hole mouth off in this instance.

2 years from now when Harper signs for 10/350 with the Dodgers or the Yankees, the Nats can boo-hoo about how hard he isn't running out pop outs for someone else. I hope Matt Williams is still their manager.

well Papelbon has been suspended for the remainder of the season

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/9/2...r-dugout-fight
    Finally, they made the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarm22 View Post
    Finally, they made the right move.
    Of Papelbon and Harper, who has a bigger rep for being a tool. Just sayin'.

Matthew 12:34b From the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
    You're not the devil. You're practice.

Quote Originally Posted by fullxtension View Post
    The popular narrative on Harper, including his on-field behavior, isn't an accurate portrayal of him as a person.

At all.

As usual.

I'm taking the 34 year old Papelbon over the 22 year old Harper by a mile.
    If we're just information, just noise in the system, we might as well be a symphony.

Papelbon is such a gigantic douche. Whatever career he has left (minimal) is going to be mostly in isolation, because there's very few players in this League, by my observation, that have any respect for the guy. I'd love to see the Nats waive him and nobody pick him up. Kind of a sad story, too. He has the stuff to have had himself a really stellar career. Problem is that he's got some serious mental issues that it would take a team of professionals to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Y.O.M. View Post
    Papelbon is such a gigantic douche. Whatever career he has left (minimal) is going to be mostly in isolation, because there's very few players in this League, by my observation, that have any respect for the guy. I'd love to see the Nats waive him and nobody pick him up. Kind of a sad story, too. He has the stuff to have had himself a really stellar career. Problem is that he's got some serious mental issues that it would take a team of professionals to work out.
    I don't believe that he'll be out of baseball next year. He's just got too much talent. But Harper clearly hates his guts, and I don't think the Nats want Harper pissed off at the team. So I believe he'll be somewhere else next season. But the Nats are going to be paying quite a bit of his contract for someone else to take that problem off their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Calm View Post
    The popular narrative on Harper, including his on-field behavior, isn't an accurate portrayal of him as a person.

At all.
    I agree with this.

I do however feel like Harper still has some maturing to do. He is brash and competitive and plays hard and I like that about him as a player. He is the perfect compliment to Mike Trout. The two play so similar but have completely different personas. Would be cool to see them both get the MVP this season, but I don't think Trout has it wrapped up.

Quote Originally Posted by asheylarry View Post
    Cousin Eddie's wife is trying so hard not to laugh here

Jonathan Papelbon, the Washington National’s newly acquired relief pitcher, put teammate Bryce Harper in a stranglehold on Sunday night, and it resulted in suspensions for both men. The initial consensus was that Papelbon stepped way out of line and that he was in the wrong during the confrontation, but it has since been revealed that many players are siding with the reliever in his assault on Harper.

The initial incident was a result on what could have been seen as an act of poor sportsmanship from Bryce Harper. Harper hit a fly ball to the outfield during the eighth inning of a 4-4 game against the Philadelphia Phillies. From the moment the ball left the bat, one could tell it would result in an out, and so Bryce jogged half-heartedly towards first base instead of running.

Although the officials sympathized with Harper, however, a statistical 100 percent of players sided with Papelbon and agreed Bryce totally had it coming. A columnist for Fox Sports organized a poll by asking 12 current MLB players what they thought of the kerfuffle between Bryce Harper and Pap, and all 12 of them were in agreement that Harper needed to be taught a lesson.

“Kid has been allowed to loaf for the past two years. [Nationals manager Matt] Williams got crucified for benching him last year; media and fans took Bryce’s side so he kept doing it and wasn’t getting punished. Veteran finally said something; kid ran his mouth at the wrong guy and got beat up,” said one of the poll’s respondents.

Bryce is a great player. He’s a true superstar. But he’s not above playing the game the right way. I’m glad someone finally told him that,” said another.

A third respondent summed up the general consensus among players in a succinct fashion.
    I would have done the same thing if I were Papelbon.”

Indeed, Bryce Harper is one of baseball’s well-documented hotheads. He has become well known for dissing his own teammates and opposing players, feigning injury in order to gain an advantage during games, and exhibiting outward displays of emotion. And, as the Washington Post article quoted above points out, Jonathan Papelbon “is a self-appointed flame bearer of baseball code” and was just trying to get through to Harper… although his methods of doing so may have crossed a line, as Pap admitted himself in an interview after the game, reports CNN.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2456292/bry...had-it-coming/

Jonathan Papelbon, the Washington National’s newly acquired relief pitcher, put teammate Bryce Harper in a stranglehold on Sunday night, and it resulted in suspensions for both men. The initial consensus was that Papelbon stepped way out of line and that he was in the wrong during the confrontation, but it has since been revealed that many players are siding with the reliever in his assault on Harper.

The initial incident was a result on what could have been seen as an act of poor sportsmanship from Bryce Harper. Harper hit a fly ball to the outfield during the eighth inning of a 4-4 game against the Philadelphia Phillies. From the moment the ball left the bat, one could tell it would result in an out, and so Bryce jogged half-heartedly towards first base instead of running.

Although the officials sympathized with Harper, however, a statistical 100 percent of players sided with Papelbon and agreed Bryce totally had it coming. A columnist for Fox Sports organized a poll by asking 12 current MLB players what they thought of the kerfuffle between Bryce Harper and Pap, and all 12 of them were in agreement that Harper needed to be taught a lesson.

“Kid has been allowed to loaf for the past two years. [Nationals manager Matt] Williams got crucified for benching him last year; media and fans took Bryce’s side so he kept doing it and wasn’t getting punished. Veteran finally said something; kid ran his mouth at the wrong guy and got beat up,” said one of the poll’s respondents.

Bryce is a great player. He’s a true superstar. But he’s not above playing the game the right way. I’m glad someone finally told him that,” said another.

A third respondent summed up the general consensus among players in a succinct fashion.
    I would have done the same thing if I were Papelbon.”

Indeed, Bryce Harper is one of baseball’s well-documented hotheads. He has become well known for dissing his own teammates and opposing players, feigning injury in order to gain an advantage during games, and exhibiting outward displays of emotion. And, as the Washington Post article quoted above points out, Jonathan Papelbon “is a self-appointed flame bearer of baseball code” and was just trying to get through to Harper… although his methods of doing so may have crossed a line, as Pap admitted himself in an interview after the game, reports CNN.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2456292/bry...had-it-coming/
    Look, I get it. I can't stand Harper either. They're both assholes.

The difference is one asshole assaulted the other. On live TV.

Look, I get it. I can't stand Harper either. They're both assholes.

The difference is one asshole assaulted the other. On live TV.
    I get that. It was wrong. But if all the other players they talked to would have done the same thing....

I get that. It was wrong. But if all the other players they talked to would have done the same thing....
    So the dude called up twelve other assholes. Aren't you a statistician?

but they didn't. If it is something that has been going on all season and it took a reliever with a total of zero plate appearances to put Harper on the spot, then that is on the vets on the team.

So the dude called up twelve other assholes. Aren't you a statistician?
    So then the guy who wrote the article hand-selected twelve assholes instead of sampling players at random....or did he get twelve assholes by chance?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast