Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Stadium... New Location... Concepts

Braves New Stadium... New Location... Concepts

Just received a txt from ESPN:

Braves will relocate from Atlanta to suburban Cobb County; plan for a new stadium to open in 2017.
    #MAGA

Default Re: New Stadium... New Location

A little more via ESPN..

The Atlanta Braves will leave the city for Cobb County for the 2017 season, the team has said.
    The Braves, who have played at Turner Field for 20 years, will be leaving downtown Atlanta for the first time since relocating the franchise from Milwuakee in 1966. The Braves' contract at Turner Field expires after the 2016 season and will not be renewed.
    The Braves will move into a new stadium to be built near the intersection of I-75 and I-285, the team said on the Twitter account
    #MAGA

I am not a Braves fan but I'm not sure I understand this move. I thought the blueprint for new stadiums was to build in downtown areas not out in the suburbs. I'm not sure what is wrong with Turner Field either... I was there just last summer and I think it's a pretty nice place to see a ballgame.

Wild. 20 years in a park, and getting a new one already.

In the Shadow of Eastern St. Penitentiary

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    Wild. 20 years in a park, and getting a new one already.
    That was my reaction as well, and don't get moving out to the burbs.
    The whole world's glued to the cable TV
    It looks so real on the big LCD
    murder and violence are rated PG, too bad for the children
    they are what they see

Joe Walsh "Analog Man"

For my Brother; May he RIP

Phillie game and series recaps, Temple Football recaps and previews, and Union stuff, as well as misc. tweeting for http://www.pattisonave.com/ @Pattisonavenue

I thought it was a misprint when I saw it originally

Although i gotta say getting out of the city is probably a good move. My family and I went to two games at Turner Field a few years back and it was a bitch getting out of there.
    "People ask me what I do in winter when thereís no baseball. Iíll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

I like the move. Get away from the snarl of traffic and continuous road work making travel to and from the Ted an adventure in itself.

I find it funny that non-Braves fans bash the Braves for not drawing stadium filling fans. And now that the Braves are taking measures to fill more seats, the Braves get bashed yet again. It's not what the team does or doesn't do, it's the hatred of them winning.

Here's an article explaining, from the Braves stand point, why the move is necessary. I'm not as alert as I once was, but the financial points slapped me in the face. A lot of reasons why the move is necessary.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    The Braves announced Monday their intentions to build a news stadium in Cobb County for the 2017 season. What follows is the team's explanation for their move from Turner Field:

• The Braves’ lease at Turner Field, which is owned by the City of Atlanta and the Atlanta-Fulton County Recreation Authority, ends at the conclusion of 2016. The Braves have decided to not extend the lease beyond its expiration.
    • Since the facility opened in 1997, the Braves have invested nearly $125 million in Turner Field.
    • The facility needs $150 million in infrastructure work (replacing the seats, repairing and upgrading lighting, etc.), none of which would significantly enhance the fan experience. If the Braves were to pay for additional projects focused on improving the fan experience, the additional costs could exceed $200 million.
    • Even with a significant capital investment in Turner Field, there are several issues that cannot be overcome – lack of consistent mass transit to the facility, lack of adequate parking and lack of access to major roadways.
    • The Braves also do not have control over the development of the area surrounding Turner Field.

New Facility Information:

• The Atlanta Braves have secured property to build a world-?class Major League Baseball stadium and integrated mixed-?use development on 60 acres at the northwest intersection of I-75 and I-285.
    • The property has an Atlanta address and is located in Cobb County with easy access to I-75, I-285, U.S. 41/Cobb Parkway and a variety of other transportation options.
    • The new stadium will be located near the geographic center of the Braves’ fan base.
    • The stadium will occupy a portion of the site, with the balance being used for parking, a mixed-?use development and green space.
    • The estimated cost of the stadium, parking and related infrastructure is roughly $672 million. The Braves will be a significant investor, along with Cobb County, in the project. In addition, the Braves will cover all cost overruns for the construction of the stadium.
    • During construction of the stadium, more than 5,227 jobs will be supported, with a total payroll of more than $235 million.
    • The project is scheduled to start in the second half of 2014 and will be completed by Opening Day 2017.
    • The Braves will develop the remaining parcels surrounding the stadium, crafting a world-class entertainment district featuring retail, restaurants and hotel options.
    • Plans call for the stadium to be owned by the Cobb-Marietta Coliseum and Exhibit Hall Authority, which also owns the Cobb Galleria Centre and Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre

Oh, I've slipped the surly bonds of earth,
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings......

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Hank looking forward to move!!

David O'Brien@ajcbraves14m
    Hank Aaron on #Braves move: “I’m proud of the Braves and their rich legacy, and look forward to the next chapter of our great organization”

And from the Czar ---

MLB Press Release

11/11/2013 1:31 P.M. ET
    Commissioner's statement

Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig issued the following statement regarding today's announcement by the Atlanta Braves:
    "The Braves have kept us apprised of their stadium situation throughout this process. Major League Baseball fully supports their decision to move to a new ballpark in Atlanta for the 2017 season, and we look forward to their continued excellence representing their community, both on and off the field."

Last edited by salmagundy; 11-11-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Great move by the Braves. Love it, even though it means I would have to drive through Atlanta to get to games.
    #MAGA

In the Shadow of Eastern St. Penitentiary

Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    I like the move. Get away from the snarl of traffic and continuous road work making travel to and from the Ted an adventure in itself.

I find it funny that non-Braves fans bash the Braves for not drawing stadium filling fans. And now that the Braves are taking measures to fill more seats, the Braves get bashed yet again. It's not what the team does or doesn't do, it's the hatred of them winning.

Here's an article explaining, from the Braves stand point, why the move is necessary. I'm not as alert as I once was, but the financial points slapped me in the face. A lot of reasons why the move is necessary.

The Braves announced Monday their intentions to build a news stadium in Cobb County for the 2017 season. What follows is the team's explanation for their move from Turner Field:

• The Braves’ lease at Turner Field, which is owned by the City of Atlanta and the Atlanta-Fulton County Recreation Authority, ends at the conclusion of 2016. The Braves have decided to not extend the lease beyond its expiration.
    • Since the facility opened in 1997, the Braves have invested nearly $125 million in Turner Field.
    • The facility needs $150 million in infrastructure work (replacing the seats, repairing and upgrading lighting, etc.), none of which would significantly enhance the fan experience. If the Braves were to pay for additional projects focused on improving the fan experience, the additional costs could exceed $200 million.
    • Even with a significant capital investment in Turner Field, there are several issues that cannot be overcome – lack of consistent mass transit to the facility, lack of adequate parking and lack of access to major roadways.
    • The Braves also do not have control over the development of the area surrounding Turner Field.

New Facility Information:

• The Atlanta Braves have secured property to build a world-?class Major League Baseball stadium and integrated mixed-?use development on 60 acres at the northwest intersection of I-75 and I-285.
    • The property has an Atlanta address and is located in Cobb County with easy access to I-75, I-285, U.S. 41/Cobb Parkway and a variety of other transportation options.
    • The new stadium will be located near the geographic center of the Braves’ fan base.
    • The stadium will occupy a portion of the site, with the balance being used for parking, a mixed-?use development and green space.
    • The estimated cost of the stadium, parking and related infrastructure is roughly $672 million. The Braves will be a significant investor, along with Cobb County, in the project. In addition, the Braves will cover all cost overruns for the construction of the stadium.
    • During construction of the stadium, more than 5,227 jobs will be supported, with a total payroll of more than $235 million.
    • The project is scheduled to start in the second half of 2014 and will be completed by Opening Day 2017.
    • The Braves will develop the remaining parcels surrounding the stadium, crafting a world-class entertainment district featuring retail, restaurants and hotel options.
    • Plans call for the stadium to be owned by the Cobb-Marietta Coliseum and Exhibit Hall Authority, which also owns the Cobb Galleria Centre and Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre

I wouldn't say we are bashing this move, just that on the face of it to outsiders it seems a bit puzzling. If it will indeed bring more fans to the ballpark, I am all for it. I will read the what you posted and make a further comment on it later.
    The whole world's glued to the cable TV
    It looks so real on the big LCD
    murder and violence are rated PG, too bad for the children
    they are what they see

Joe Walsh "Analog Man"

For my Brother; May he RIP

Phillie game and series recaps, Temple Football recaps and previews, and Union stuff, as well as misc. tweeting for http://www.pattisonave.com/ @Pattisonavenue

Glavine's reaction. I believe it's typical of most Braves fans.

By David O'Brien and Carroll Rogers
    TOM GLAVINE
    On his initial reaction to hearing the news Monday morning of the Braves’ move to Cobb County:
    “I think your first reaction is ‘wow, really?’ and I guess from an aesthetic standpoint, it still feels like Turner Field is relatively new. So from that point, it’s a little bit of a surprise but I’m sure the people that are there every day have things that they would like to change and fix and it sounds like the more you hear, the Braves didn’t necessarily have as much control over a lot of that stuff as they would have wanted. It starts to make sense when you start looking at the lack of control you have maybe and then when you start looking at how much money you’re going to have to spend maybe to update something, at the end of the day you think ‘Well, for a little bit more we could have our own and build it the way we want and have everything.’ So you get to that point where it just kind of starts to make sense.”
    On his feelings given all the games he pitched there:
    “Well it’ll be odd when that day comes to go in there and watch a game in a stadium that I never played in. That’ll be weird but certainly you go through that a little bit when we went from Fulton County to Turner Field and there will be some of that certainly going from Turner Field to the new place but the history of the franchise isn’t going to change. That’s still all a part of the organization regardless of where they play or where they call home. That’ll all go with it, but there’s no question it’ll be a little bit weird, those first few times going in there and realizing for all those years you played, you never played there.”
    On given his familiarity with metro Atlanta, living in Johns Creek, thinks traffic situation will be any easier:
    “I think it has the potential to be easier, put it that way. I don’t think regardless of where you put a stadium that it’s ever going to be necessarily easy getting in and getting out. That’s the nature of going to games, when you’re getting 50,000 people all going into one place. Will it be easier than Turner Field, probably. I think the pretty standard complaints about Turner Field were getting in and out of there and that there was nothing to do around there. I think that they certainly have the potential to address both of those issues, and I’m sure they’ll put a lot of time into trying to make that happen.”
    On what he thinks about the location in general:
    “It makes sense because - I’ve said all along I wish that’s where the hockey team was – everything is Atlanta is moving that way. So certainly a large percentage of your fanbase is up that way and this gives them that ability to create an environment there that’s more than just a baseball field. When you hear people that have been in the game talk about places that they like, inevitably you hear Colorado, you hear Camden Yards, Fenway Park, all those places are downtown. There’re things going on around them. It makes the whole experience so much more fun because you’re not just going down there to get in and get out of a ballgame. That has the potential to be a huge upside for them to be able to create that atmosphere.”

Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Glavine's reaction. I believe it's typical of most Braves fans.

By David O'Brien and Carroll Rogers
    TOM GLAVINE
    On his initial reaction to hearing the news Monday morning of the Bravesí move to Cobb County:
    ďI think your first reaction is Ďwow, really?í and I guess from an aesthetic standpoint, it still feels like Turner Field is relatively new. So from that point, itís a little bit of a surprise but Iím sure the people that are there every day have things that they would like to change and fix and it sounds like the more you hear, the Braves didnít necessarily have as much control over a lot of that stuff as they would have wanted. It starts to make sense when you start looking at the lack of control you have maybe and then when you start looking at how much money youíre going to have to spend maybe to update something, at the end of the day you think ĎWell, for a little bit more we could have our own and build it the way we want and have everything.í So you get to that point where it just kind of starts to make sense.Ē
    On his feelings given all the games he pitched there:
    ďWell itíll be odd when that day comes to go in there and watch a game in a stadium that I never played in. Thatíll be weird but certainly you go through that a little bit when we went from Fulton County to Turner Field and there will be some of that certainly going from Turner Field to the new place but the history of the franchise isnít going to change. Thatís still all a part of the organization regardless of where they play or where they call home. Thatíll all go with it, but thereís no question itíll be a little bit weird, those first few times going in there and realizing for all those years you played, you never played there.Ē
    On given his familiarity with metro Atlanta, living in Johns Creek, thinks traffic situation will be any easier:
    ďI think it has the potential to be easier, put it that way. I donít think regardless of where you put a stadium that itís ever going to be necessarily easy getting in and getting out. Thatís the nature of going to games, when youíre getting 50,000 people all going into one place. Will it be easier than Turner Field, probably. I think the pretty standard complaints about Turner Field were getting in and out of there and that there was nothing to do around there. I think that they certainly have the potential to address both of those issues, and Iím sure theyíll put a lot of time into trying to make that happen.Ē
    On what he thinks about the location in general:
    ďIt makes sense because - Iíve said all along I wish thatís where the hockey team was Ė everything is Atlanta is moving that way. So certainly a large percentage of your fanbase is up that way and this gives them that ability to create an environment there thatís more than just a baseball field. When you hear people that have been in the game talk about places that they like, inevitably you hear Colorado, you hear Camden Yards, Fenway Park, all those places are downtown. Thereíre things going on around them. It makes the whole experience so much more fun because youíre not just going down there to get in and get out of a ballgame. That has the potential to be a huge upside for them to be able to create that atmosphere.Ē
    The fact that the "top" stadiums are all in downtown areas was basically what I was getting at, but apparently they are going to address this issue by developing the entire area into a "downtown like" place to be, I'll definitely check out the new stadium a few years after it opens.

Having been to Atlanta a few times I have to say I get these moves. The downtown can be a real mess to get in and out of, no matter how pretty it is. Plus, I read that the move puts them out near the suburbs and the richer fan base. Not a bad thing either.

As for the 20 years.....Falcons are getting a new facility in 2017 as well. The dome is 21 years in and by all accounts I see is holding up just fine. I thought the same "get out of downtown" theory at first but the new stadium will be downtown.

The Falcons move is more perplexing to me than the Braves one.
    I want to believe there is a heaven. But I can't not believe there is a hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Evad View Post
    Great move by the Braves. Love it, even though it means I would have to drive through Atlanta to get to games.
    When I come up for games, I'll take the West 285 by pass and miss the "downtown" 75 mess. Might be a little further, but should end up quicker. Still have to deal with the Hart Field traffic.

The question now is, "who will be the corporate sponsor?"

Local but nationally recognized names that I think would fit well are:

Delta
    Coca Cola
    AFLAC

I'm sure there are others, but these names carry a respect that would work well with what the Braves try to project in the community.

IN MY BACKYARD!!! I will have other thoughts later tonight or tomorrow.

Sal, Home Depot is another corporate sponsor to consider...their headquarters are minutes from the new stadium site.

How could I forget Arthur Blank and Home Depot?????

That's 4 great names for a corporate stadium name.

Chipper on new stadium ----

David O'Brien@ajcbraves10m
    Chipper: "I’m surprised..but I’m always up for moving into new digs. I have a lot of memories at The Ted and it will be a sad day when...

David O'Brien@ajcbraves11m
    Chipper "the Braves move out but some of reasons to move make sense. the next generation will have a new home to make their own memories"

Link for map of ticket buyers for braves tickets. New stadium is very close to the mass area of ticket buyers.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/braves-ticket-buyers/

Not a bad idea!!!

Agreed. RT @Sharkfinhat: @ajcbraves Hopefully something like "Hank Aaron Field at Whatever Corporation Wins the Bidding War Park."

Some of the names mentioned in DOB twitter are the same as ones mentioned here minus AFLAC. Posted about 9:15 this morning.

David O'Brien@ajcbraves17m
    No idea. RT @Jay_Tillman: @AJCBraves you think Depot, Delta, and Coke are the leading candidates?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast