Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: i hope Mayhew's dumb ass watched the game tonight

Default i hope Mayhew's dumb ass watched the game tonight

Dallas thought they were a pretty good team with the exception of poor cornerback play. What did they do in the offseason? Added 2 top flight corners. Then what did they do? Beat the superbowl champions at home. They didn't draft a tackle and a wide receiver when they desperately needed corners.

Default Re: i hope Mayhew's dumb ass watched the game tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Labby View Post
    Dallas thought they were a pretty good team with the exception of poor cornerback play. What did they do in the offseason? Added 2 top flight corners. Then what did they do? Beat the superbowl champions at home. They didn't draft a tackle and a wide receiver when they desperately needed corners.
    Eh....What's wrong with the Reiff pick? There was arguably a bigger need on the O-Line and IMO, it was the biggest need on the team with some aging vets and underperforming youngsters on the line. Stafford is our most valued asset and it's imperative that he gets the proper protection throughout his career. Reilly was the BPA and was borderline top 10 on some lists so i thought that was a great pick. There were no worthwhile CBs avaliable at that spot.
    The Broyles pick was a bit of a headscratcher (i preferred the center Konz) but he is a really good player and again, there were no worthwhile CBs at that spot, i'm pretty sure that the Lions thought that Bentley would still be available in the 3rd round and based on a very small sample size, he looks like a player.

My problem with Mayhew is that he didn't address the CB need through free agency or trade especially with Wright leaving for nothing. He hadsome D-Line assets that he could have used to trade for a solid, vet CB but i guess he's putting a lot of stock into these young guys like Bentley to step up which IMO, is a mistake.
    "I quit because i feel like the Detroit Lions didn't have a chance to win. It just killed my enjoyment of the game." - Barry Sanders

And just how did you want Mayhew to sign a F/A CB, when the Lions went into the off season well over the salary cap? To trade you either have to give up equal value or trade draft picks. Neither makes sense.

Its not just the CB position either. While I have no issues with drafting an o-lineman, providing he IS Backus' replacement, and a better one than him (eventually), other than the fact that it was probably a year or two later than I wanted. No doubt CB hasn't been properly addressed in my eyes whether it be using a 1st or 2nd on one, or trying to sign a big name FA. All that being said, if, if, if Bill Bentley becomes the player they hope him to be, that would certainly lessen the blow. But the safety position is a mess as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntree View Post
    And just how did you want Mayhew to sign a F/A CB, when the Lions went into the off season well over the salary cap? To trade you either have to give up equal value or trade draft picks. Neither makes sense.
    For me its not so much this one offseason. Its the biggest criticism I've had of Mayhew since day one. He did good when he got Chris Houston, but even then it was a stab in the dark. He hasn't put the money or resources into the secondary like he has on the d-line, WRs and RBs. The same could be said for the typical patchwork o-line other than this year's pick of Reiff.

But I've said this before. If a guy pans out, or exceeds expectations, no one will ultimately care if they were a 2nd or a 7th round pick. Problem is pretty much all of the CBs and o-linemen that they've drafted late haven't worked out, magnifiying the problem.

A Boilermaker living in Wolverine country

When you have glaring holes in the secondary (to the point that a late waiver wire pickup is almost a starter) then its hard to understand get 'depth' guys in the first two rounds. I don't mind the Reiff pick in a vacuum but that combined with the Broyles pick seem to say that they don't really care much about the secondary. And if the 'best player available' isn't a need, trade down! Mayhew loves to trade up, but this team could really use the additional picks and depth they could acquire with trades down.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.

Mayhew IMO has this line of thinking. A great Dline will make up for a weak secondary and while that is mostly true a dline isn't always going to get the QB thus creating big plays downfield. Broyles was a luxury pic and one not needed. IMO you are more likely to find a quality WR late in the draft compared to finding a quality DB late in the draft

Where there viable CBs available other than selecting Reiff, a position of need mainly b/c of age and acquiring a much younger/better/more protection for their young QB? or Boyles? (a pick I really like, more weapons for a pass-happy league), besides they picked a CB in the 3rd that most feel was a steal, promising but again only time will tell . . . armchair GMs!!! I only stay that b/c I'm one too. . . but it's their job and w/ a 10-6 made-the-playoffs record, Iíll give them a Ďpassí . . . for now, come 9-7 slipping 1 game and missing the playoffs, things get dicey, 10-6 or 11-5 Iím okay with and fvch 8-8 theyíre talking termination then. . .

"IMO you are more likely to find a quality WR late in the draft compared to finding a quality DB late in the draft"

. . . I think just the opposite, most good WRs are drafted early and for good reason but every now-n-then a good one will appear in the later rounds, however, there has been a number of CBs found in late rounds that have produced above their expectations, I would initially think moreso than WRs but itíll be nice to see/check the numbers on that tho. . . .

Every CB available to us was a huge reach. There was only ONE CB available when we picked that wouldn't have been a huge reach, but of course NONE of you guys wanted him. That would be Jenkins. If he would have taken any of the CBs available at our picks it would have been a reach. The first CB taken after Reiff was Jenkins about 14 picks later and the next CB taken wasn't taken until almost the 3rd round at 62 (10 more picks past Broyles). Jenkins was the ONLY CB that showed up for us that even had a chance of being an impact player and worthy of the place they got picked. HE didn't get taken for obvious reasons, but what irks me is that the people that wanted CBs so badly were willing to take guys WAY too early in the draft, yet were compltely against taking Jenkins, who was by far the most talented available because he had character issues. Jenkins was the ONLY CB taken from Kirkpatrick at 17 all the way until 62!

Those were your choices. Take a huge reach, or take a huge gamble. Instead we took two players that were solid picks and BPA on our boards. Two players that are expected to be STARTERS vs. guys we hope might end up being at best #2 CBs 20-30 picks EARLY. Both needs as much as you guys claim that another WR wasn't a need on a team that needs to throw for 5K yards just to stay in games. We couldn't even run 4 WR sets last year we didn't have enough WR. Does that make ANY sense at all to draft CBs a round early when not one of them is a 1a or even a 1b? None of these guys was even a #1 CB. Not one. We got the same type of CB and value in the 3rd round as we could ahve gotten in the 2nd. It's just that simple.

Instead we got Bentley, who by all accounts has been great. Likely going to be a starter this year. In the 3rd round and basically no worse than anyone else we could have taken before him sans Jenkins. MAyhew did pretty well here in my opinion.
    Last edited by Rip; 09-07-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Twitter: DickDickstein
    ...Because fuck you is why.

Good points Rip. I still did not like a WR in round 2, but you do bring up a good point about value at the picks.

Anyone that tries to genuinely justify the Broyles pick with 3 WRs and 6 offensive weapons ahead of him, while there were more pressing needs, is just bathing in the Kool Aid if you ask me. There was ZERO value in that pick, and I don't give a shit if dude is a starting WR 3 years from now.

It's not like they took Broyles Top 10. He was a late 2nd rounder. Do I need to point to Green Bay again and all the 2nd round WRs they have drafted lately? Look how much Titus played last year and how big of a deal he was. Nate is virtually done at this point and did shit most of last year. On our BEST day we have 3 WRs worth a damn. That includes Burleson. This isn't the same as when you had Joey Harrington at QB. Getting him weapons in hopes he has so much talent around him he can't fail. This is giving THE reason we win another weapon. Stafford is ALL that matters on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    It's not like they took Broyles Top 10. He was a late 2nd rounder. Do I need to point to Green Bay again and all the 2nd round WRs they have drafted lately? Look how much Titus played last year and how big of a deal he was. Nate is virtually done at this point and did shit most of last year. On our BEST day we have 3 WRs worth a damn. That includes Burleson. This isn't the same as when you had Joey Harrington at QB. Getting him weapons in hopes he has so much talent around him he can't fail. This is giving THE reason we win another weapon. Stafford is ALL that matters on this team.
    Yeah, I get it. We have one winning year, so now we can make luxury picks, and ignore positions of need where we lack starters and depth. I don't care how long Burleson has. You can replace him in the same offseason he's gone, and you don't have to use a 2nd rounder to get a quality WR in this league, let alone one with a torn ACL on top of it.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by sportznut View Post
    Yeah, I get it. We have one winning year, so now we can make luxury picks, and ignore positions of need where we lack starters and depth. I don't care how long Burleson has. You can replace him in the same offseason he's gone, and you don't have to use a 2nd rounder to get a quality WR in this league, let alone one with a torn ACL on top of it.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.
    That's not the point I'm getting at though. The need wasn't available at these picks. I'll take much better talent over reaching for a need or trading down in rounds 2-3 any day. Broyles is basically a 1st round talent according to most. Taking some CB 30 picks early doesn't make any sense. We still got that level of talent in the 3rd round anyways at CB. Same level player we could have gotten in the 2nd round a whole round later. That's how bad CB was in the 2nd round. Like i said other than Jenkins there wasn't a CB taken in this draft from 17 all the way to 62. The only guy anyone wanted at Broyles pick was Konz who wasn't gonna play at all either and he missed plenty of time in college for injuries. So...if we would have taken him he wasn't gonna start for at least a year, or two anyways either.

He's not really a luxury pick IMO. We're a team designed entirely around our QB and passing game now. We have basically CJ, Titus, and Nate as WRs now. Everything else is basically crap. God forbid one of those guys gets hurt. Just because we have CJ doesn't mean we don't need to ever have any WRs again.

Now Broyles isn't gonna sit on the bench all year. He'll play. Probably by the end of the season he'll be playing A LOT. NAte is done. Even he knows it and says his job is to make sure that Broyles is ready to take over for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    That's not the point I'm getting at though. The need wasn't available at these picks. I'll take much better talent over reaching for a need or trading down in rounds 2-3 any day. Broyles is basically a 1st round talent according to most. Taking some CB 30 picks early doesn't make any sense. We still got that level of talent in the 3rd round anyways at CB. Same level player we could have gotten in the 2nd round a whole round later. That's how bad CB was in the 2nd round. Like i said other than Jenkins there wasn't a CB taken in this draft from 17 all the way to 62. The only guy anyone wanted at Broyles pick was Konz who wasn't gonna play at all either and he missed plenty of time in college for injuries. So...if we would have taken him he wasn't gonna start for at least a year, or two anyways either.

He's not really a luxury pick IMO. We're a team designed entirely around our QB and passing game now. We have basically CJ, Titus, and Nate as WRs now. Everything else is basically crap. God forbid one of those guys gets hurt. Just because we have CJ doesn't mean we don't need to ever have any WRs again.

Now Broyles isn't gonna sit on the bench all year. He'll play. Probably by the end of the season he'll be playing A LOT. NAte is done. Even he knows it and says his job is to make sure that Broyles is ready to take over for him.
    I never singled out CB. You did, but here are some players I would've been happy with.

Peter Konz- C
    LaVonte David- OLB
    Vinny Curry- DE
    Josh Robinson- CB
    Brandon Taylor- S

It would've made a lot of sense to not only find Backus' replacement this year, but D-Rex's too. When it comes to o-linemen you know you're not going to get an instant starter all the time. David provides some much needed depth at OLB, and would've gotten a lot of playing time as a rookie in a rotation, eventually becoming a starter. The Curry pick goes with the NYG theory of you can never have enough pass rushers, and it buys you insurance when Avril walks b/c he costs too much money. Robinson is a fine, young CB who would've instantly upgraded our secondary. Same goes for Taylor. I just don't buy that Broyles is going to make an impact this year, or that he's going to be head and shoulders above anyone else they could've gotten in the next year or two at the position. I get that many of the guys I mentioned might not be instant starters, but we all know that some positions on this team, or in general, or easier to crack the lineup as rookies, while others take time.

You could even make a case for LaMichael James, RB.
    Last edited by sportznut; 09-08-2012 at 08:41 AM.

The concrete jungle where dreams are made of

Quote Originally Posted by sportznut View Post
    I never singled out CB. You did, but here are some players I would've been happy with.

Peter Konz- C
    LaVonte David- OLB
    Vinny Curry- DE
    Josh Robinson- CB
    Brandon Taylor- S

It would've made a lot of sense to not only find Backus' replacement this year, but D-Rex's too. When it comes to o-linemen you know you're not going to get an instant starter all the time. David provides some much needed depth at OLB, and would've gotten a lot of playing time as a rookie in a rotation, eventually becoming a starter. The Curry pick goes with the NYG theory of you can never have enough pass rushers, and it buys you insurance when Avril walks b/c he costs too much money. Robinson is a fine, young CB who would've instantly upgraded our secondary. Same goes for Taylor. I just don't buy that Broyles is going to make an impact this year, or that he's going to be head and shoulders above anyone else they could've gotten in the next year or two at the position. I get that many of the guys I mentioned might not be instant starters, but we all know that some positions on this team, or in general, or easier to crack the lineup as rookies, while others take time.

You could even make a case for LaMichael James, RB.
    I like LaMichael James but ONLY if Best is done for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dungy
    No explanations, no excuses, do what we do
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobesgame
    I like dickbag a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan of Brown Eye View Post
    I like LaMichael James but ONLY if Best is done for good.
    I added him late to this list, as he would've been low priority, but given our RB situation and the injury history/question marks behind each guy, its justifiable, and he'd immediately be in the rotation of backs.

I think if we take bentley in the second ( to appease the need factor ) and then broyles in the third ( and everyone says hey not an immediate need but before injury was projected mid first rd, good job ) then we still have same players and many have a better "feeling" about the picks, just like Pettigrew and Delmas a few years back. I love mocking and then monday a.m. nitpicking of the drafts but thank god they don't listen to us. they would have taken Jason Smith or Aaron Curry over Stafford.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubris View Post
    I think if we take bentley in the second ( to appease the need factor ) and then broyles in the third ( and everyone says hey not an immediate need but before injury was projected mid first rd, good job ) then we still have same players and many have a better "feeling" about the picks, just like Pettigrew and Delmas a few years back. I love mocking and then monday a.m. nitpicking of the drafts but thank god they don't listen to us. they would have taken Jason Smith or Aaron Curry over Stafford.
    I don't know anyone who wanted Bentley in the 2nd round, and the fact that he's being thrown to the wolves in game 1 as a rookie, hardly means he's ready, or he's going to make everyone forget about our woes in the secondary. I'd say the jury is very much still out on him, as well as anyone in this and last year's draft class, but I do get your point. I just don't agree that flipping the names would've been that simple to make everyone feel better about it.

You're right about one thing. They have a lot more info at their disposal than we do. It doesn't mean they always get it right, and Mayhew's record is sketchy so far.

I disagree that Mayhew’s record is sketchy so far.
    The front office and coaching staff has taken the Lions from the ashes (0-16) to being competitive with just about every team in the NFL and even made the playoffs.
    Now what is needed is to take the talent that the team has and get it to play more consistent each game, eliminate some the dumb penalties.Then keep upgrading the team with the draft each year with the best player on the board regardless of position.
    All in all this is a very young football team so miscues will happen.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast