Thread: Plug that hole!

Default Plug that hole!

Does anyone know of a product that can seal a plastic gas tank hole? I guess times are getting pretty tough. I went away for a week on business and when I came back someone drilled a hole in my gas tank on my truck. My brother-in-law and I tapped the hole, put a bolt and tried sealing it with a product called quick steel but after about 2 weeks it started to leak. Not a steady drip but it leaves a small dish sized spot on the ground over nite. If anyone knows of a product that is resistant to gas and will adhere to the tank please let me know.

Let the smart ass comments begin...................
    2015 GREEN BAY PACKERS- Aka Sybil. You just don't know who's gonna show up on Sunday.

Default Re: Plug that hole!

Thanks everyone for your help.
    2015 GREEN BAY PACKERS- Aka Sybil. You just don't know who's gonna show up on Sunday.

First thing I thought of is Mighty Putty. I think they sell the same thing under different names at auto parts stores. Don't know how suitable it is for use on a gas tank though.

Youre welcome.
    "We'll Figure It Out. We'll Use The Force."

"That's Not How The Force Works!"

Or maybe J-B Weld too.

This thread does not deliver
    "Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

Where is steagles when you need him?
    In between the lines there's a lot of obscurity, I'm not inclined to resign to maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by Calm View Post
    First thing I thought of is Mighty Putty. I think they sell the same thing under different names at auto parts stores. Don't know how suitable it is for use on a gas tank though.
    Possibility. I saw a youtube video where this guy plugged a hole on a plastic bottle filled with gas with the Putty but i dont know if it will last. This may be my last option before I head to the junk yards and get a used tank.

Quote Originally Posted by DRULZ View Post

Youre welcome.
    I thought of this as well. I tried it but it still gave way to the gas. Im sure its great for water but the gas ate its way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Calm View Post
    Or maybe J-B Weld too.
    The Quick steel I used is similiar to J-B Weld but the gas was to strong for it.

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup4 View Post
    I thought of this as well. I tried it but it still gave way to the gas. Im sure its great for water but the gas ate its way through.

All joking aside buddy, I had this happen to me years ago on my pathfinder and all the resin and super glue and what have you in the world doesnt work.

Ultimately I had to take it to the dealership and replace the whole gas tank.

Filed it under my insurance.
    "We'll Figure It Out. We'll Use The Force."

"That's Not How The Force Works!"

This is what i used twice but to no avail. Fucking gas eats its way through everything except..........?

Quote Originally Posted by DRULZ View Post
    All joking aside buddy, I had this happen to me years ago on my pathfinder and all the resin and super glue and what have you in the world doesnt work.

Ultimately I had to take it to the dealership and replace the whole gas tank.

Filed it under my insurance.
    Unfortunately I only have liability on the truck. Looks like I will be going to the junk yard and replace it with a used tank. The dealership wants $500 for a new tank. Fuck that! The junk yard wants $100.