Thread: Blues to sign F Vladimir Tarasenko

Thumbs up Blues to sign F Vladimir Tarasenko

Blues to sign F Vladimir Tarasenko
    By Craig Custance
    ESPN The Magazine

TORONTO -- Two years ago, the Blues met with Russian prospect Vladimir Tarasenko and he convinced St. Louis that he wanted to play in the NHL, not the KHL, when he was ready.
    They used the No. 16 overall pick in the 2010 draft on the 6-foot forward and despite lucrative offers to stay in Russia, Tarasenko is delivering on his promise.
    The Blues and Tarasenko have agreed in principal to a contract he'll sign in July as soon as the CBA allows.
    Cross Checks Blog

Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun write about all things happening in the NHL. Cross Checks

"He had some very good opportunities if he wanted to say in the KHL," Armstrong told ESPN the Magazine on Saturday. "We think he's NHL-ready and we're excited to get him in the lineup."
    Armstrong told Tarasenko that he projected to be on St. Louis' NHL roster to start the season, which certainly helped the effort to get him under contract.
    "We thought if he needed seasoning, we'd just keep him in the KHL," Armstrong said. "He has a roster spot to lose but ultimately it'll come down to his ability in training camp. He has to gain the trust and the respect of his teammates and coaches. All indications in watching him play, we think he'll be able to do that."
    In 54 games in the KHL this season, Tarasenko scored 23 goals.
    The Blues have also parted ways with defenseman Brock Beukeboom, acquired from the Tampa Bay Lightning in the deal that sent Eric Brewer to the Lightning. Beukeboom was a third-round pick in the 2010 draft by the Lightning.
    "We looked at our depth charts and thought he might have a better opportunity with another organization," Armstrong said. "We just decided to let him go back into the entry draft. He's a good young man and we wish him well."

"It's such a beautiful sport, with no politics involved, no color, no class. Only as a youngster can you play and as a pro can you win. The game has kept me young, involved and excited and for me to be up here with gems of baseball." ~Jack Buck

Default Re: Blues to sign F Vladimir Tarasenko

Woo hoo!

"It's such a beautiful sport, with no politics involved, no color, no class. Only as a youngster can you play and as a pro can you win. The game has kept me young, involved and excited and for me to be up here with gems of baseball." ~Jack Buck

ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced Saturday the club has agreed to a three-year entry level contract with forward Vladimir Tarasenko.

Tarasenko, who was drafted by the Blues in the first round (16th overall) of the 2010 Entry Draft, is ranked by hockeysfuture.com as the world’s top prospect outside of the NHL.

Blues forward Jaden Schwartz is eighth overall on that list.

“Vladi is coming off his best season as a professional and we are excited that he has decided to join our organization,” said Armstrong. “He has shown significant growth in his years in the KHL and we look forward to him taking his game to the next level as a St. Louis Blue.”

Tarasenko, 20, appeared 39 games with Novosibirsk Siber of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) and led the club with 38 points (18 goals, 20 assists) before being traded and posting nine points (five goals, four assists) in 15 games with St. Petersburg SKA in 2011-12.

Overall, the 6’0, 202-pound forward has spent the past four seasons in the KHL recording 100 points including 52 goals and 48 assists in 176 games.

In international play, Tarasenko has represented Russia three times including serving as the team’s captain at both the 2011 World Championships and World Junior Championships. At the World Juniors, the Yaroslavl, Russsia native ranked second overall with 11 points (four goals, seven assists) in seven games including scoring the game-tying goal and assisting on the game-winning goal in Russia’s victory over Canada in the Gold Medal game.

Overall, Tarasenko has made 19 international appearances totaling 17 points including nine goals and eight assists.

I cannot wait to see this kid on the ice. Definitely going to be someone to watch and hopefully he's as good as advertised.
    "People ask me what I do in winter when thereís no baseball. Iíll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby

We need a goal scorer, hopefully he can provide that.