Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mad's Very Early Power Rankings

Default Re: Mad's Very Early Power Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by MadNova View Post
    ESPN's Power Rankings have the Vikings at #31.
    In 2015.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ng-2015-season
    When they say the WRs are aging for GB, does that mean now or 3 years from now?

I think a little packer homerness went into your evaluation of the vikings. I agree on the Ponder statement, but putting them dead last I don't agree with. I am not saying they are top ten, in fact I wouldn't put them top 20, I would put the vikings around 25. They were close in a lot of games and did get better.

Pains me to say this but I would agree with the packers being 2, if not 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by kobesgame View Post
    My asshole hurts and I don't like it from behind.

ESPN's Power Rankings have the Vikings at #31.
    In 2015.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...ng-2015-season
    That's an insider thing. How do they justify their rankings and what is the entire list?
    Bonus fake Keith Jackson appearance: "Whoa, Nellie, we have ourselves a barn-burner here today! Welcome to the 117th dust-up between the Snortin' Swine of Springfield A&M and the Springfield University Nittany Tide. Ho, ho, doctor, break out the hickory switch! Well, hang on to your hoop skirts, folks, because Anton Lubchenko is going to be kicking higher than a mule on payday. Oh, land o'lakes! Take that, ozone layer! (later in the game) Oh, doctor, with SU behind and seconds left, my supply of homespun sayings is lower than a doodlebug in Aunt Tilly's root cellar. So we'll -- Oh, jumpin' crawdaddies! Is that Lubchenko coming back on the field?"
    SU Nittany Tide's own Anton Lubchenko!

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Is it just me or is the whole idea of that completely absurd?
    It's not just you, I think it is too.

With Free Agency and and draft a team can turn over its entire roster in 3 years. Hell, teams can go from worst to first in a season or two.

Even consider the title of this thread, going into the 2012 season Mad titled it a "very early power ranking"

Quote Originally Posted by A-NDVikingsFan View Post
    I think a little packer homerness went into your evaluation of the vikings. I agree on the Ponder statement, but putting them dead last I don't agree with. I am not saying they are top ten, in fact I wouldn't put them top 20, I would put the vikings around 25. They were close in a lot of games and did get better.

Peterson injury, how did they get better?
    In between the lines there's a lot of obscurity, I'm not inclined to resign to maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by SU Nittany Tide View Post
    That's an insider thing. How do they justify their rankings and what is the entire list?
    Here's the methodology:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...ology-rankings

The list from 32 to 1 goes as follows:

32. Browns
    31. Vikings
    30. Jags
    29. Raiders
    28. Dolphins
    27. Colts
    26. Cards
    25. Chiefs
    24. Rams
    23. Titans
    22. Bills
    21. Seahawks
    20. Redskins
    19. Bucs
    18. Broncos
    17. Bears
    16. Jets
    15. Chargers
    14. Cowboys
    13. Falcons
    12. Panthers
    11. Bengals
    10. Ravens
    9. Texans
    8. Saints
    7. Eagles
    6. Lions
    5. Steelers
    4. 49ers
    3. Giants
    2. Patriots
    1. Packers
    RIP Baby Duck...We Never Knew You, and I am so sorry.

Noses are the unsung hero of the face, ties the whole thing together. Name one good looking person without a nose...can't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Game View Post
    When they say the WRs are aging for GB, does that mean now or 3 years from now?
    I'm assuming 3 years from now. Unless they feel certain that Driver makes the team, and Gurley and Borel walk.

Noses are the unsung hero of the face, ties the whole thing together. Name one good looking person without a nose...can't do it.

We drafted a kicker....

Is it just me or is the whole idea of that completely absurd?
    It's absurd as I go through reading the comments on certain categories...the idea of basing rankings for the future on the categories they use make sense....Until the coach and GM are fired and they take a new QB #1 in the draft....

Here's the methodology:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...ology-rankings

The list from 32 to 1 goes as follows:

32. Browns
    31. Vikings
    30. Jags
    29. Raiders
    28. Dolphins
    27. Colts
    26. Cards
    25. Chiefs
    24. Rams
    23. Titans
    22. Bills
    21. Seahawks
    20. Redskins
    19. Bucs
    18. Broncos
    17. Bears
    16. Jets
    15. Chargers
    14. Cowboys
    13. Falcons
    12. Panthers
    11. Bengals
    10. Ravens
    9. Texans
    8. Saints
    7. Eagles
    6. Lions
    5. Steelers
    4. 49ers
    3. Giants
    2. Patriots
    1. Packers
    So basically the author of the article assumes all team remain roughly the same over three years, no team improves too much, and no team fall off too much. Kind of surprised that he isn't sucking the Luck Shlong like everyone else and doesn't have the Colts #1 by 2015.

So basically the author of the article assumes all team remain roughly the same over three years, no team improves too much, and no team fall off too much. Kind of surprised that he isn't sucking the Luck Shlong like everyone else and doesn't have the Colts #1 by 2015.
    Give or take. It is pretty odd that they have the Colts so low.
    Bonus fake Keith Jackson appearance: "Whoa, Nellie, we have ourselves a barn-burner here today! Welcome to the 117th dust-up between the Snortin' Swine of Springfield A&M and the Springfield University Nittany Tide. Ho, ho, doctor, break out the hickory switch! Well, hang on to your hoop skirts, folks, because Anton Lubchenko is going to be kicking higher than a mule on payday. Oh, land o'lakes! Take that, ozone layer! (later in the game) Oh, doctor, with SU behind and seconds left, my supply of homespun sayings is lower than a doodlebug in Aunt Tilly's root cellar. So we'll -- Oh, jumpin' crawdaddies! Is that Lubchenko coming back on the field?"

Well, authors. The categories were ranked by the following:

Overall: Bill Polian
    Roster: Gary Horton/Matt Williamson (roster only takes into account non-QB's under contract through 2015
    Quarterback: Trent Dilfer
    Draft: Mel Kiper
    Front Office: Gary Horton/Matt Williamson
    Coaching: Gary Horton/Matt Williamson

trying to predict 3 years out is insane.
    I mean, GB after a slight glitch last year, will win the next 5 superbowls...so, they got number 1 right

Give or take. It is pretty odd that they have the Colts so low.
    Current roster is weak, with some of the better players getting way up in years and not likely to be around in 2015. Having new, inexperienced people in the GM and head coaching spots affected the rating as well.

Roster: 2.5 (out of 10)
    QB: 7
    Draft: 6.75
    Front Office: 5
    Coaching: 4.75

Jerome Simpson.

Hopefully the biggest impact will be improved and healthy Ponder. If Ponder doesn't progress, could be a brutal year....most vike fans are only hoping for 5-7 wins, so it's not like we think we're a playoff team...we just dont feel we're dead last.

I'm assuming 3 years from now. Unless they feel certain that Driver makes the team, and Gurley and Borel walk.
    I'm told Gurley is better than anyone on the vikings.

ok, that's an exaggeration

Current roster is weak, with some of the better players getting way up in years and not likely to be around in 2015. Having new, inexperienced people in the GM and head coaching spots affected the rating as well.

Roster: 2.5 (out of 10)
    QB: 7
    Draft: 6.75
    Front Office: 5
    Coaching: 4.75
    If Luck is anywhere near as good as the scouts think he'll be then they should at the very least be somewhat competitive. I would assume they'll get a high draft pick again next year that will help them out.

Not at all, but I can imagine some homerness would have you rail against me putting them last. Get Peterson healthy, and have Ponder make some strides, and they can move up.

Hell, I'd be willing to flip-flop them with the Jags based on training camp reports or preseason results. The very things that had Colt McCoy tabbed as a future Pro Bowler last year. 32-24 are pretty swappable, in my mind. With the exception of the Panthers, who I probably have way too low.

If Luck is anywhere near as good as the scouts think he'll be then they should at the very least be somewhat competitive. I would assume they'll get a high draft pick again next year that will help them out.
    For the high draft pick to help them out, they'll need the GM to hit on it--he's unproven thus far.
    And coaching goes a long way in this league, so Pagano has to be a hit as well for the team to rise much in 3 years.

I'm a little more optimistic for them. I wasn't a huge fan of Fleener so early, because I see him as a one trick pony type of player, but I think they were able to nail down a solid nose tackle, and that's huge in making a quick transition from a 4-3 to 3-4 defense. They should be helped by some very nice WR/CB/OLB prospects in next year's draft.

Quote Originally Posted by PnkPanther View Post
    Jerome Simpson.

Hopefully the biggest impact will be improved and healthy Ponder. If Ponder doesn't progress, could be a brutal year....most vike fans are only hoping for 5-7 wins, so it's not like we think we're a playoff team...we just dont feel we're dead last.
    Unfortunately, he's missing time on suspension. But hoping for 5-7 wins...If that's your ceiling, you have to admit that the floor could be 3 or 4 wins, which is enough to finish last.

Right now, Minnesota has the shakiest QB situation in my eyes. But that could change quickly.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast