Thread: Blackout Rules

Major League Baseball Blackout Rules

Does anyone think MLB blackout rules are archaic? Back in the day, when I was a teen, probably half of the Cardinals games would be shown on TV. Lots of times, the Cardinals would play the Cubs or Braves and the game would be shown on one of the SuperStations. But, since I lived in StL, the game would be blacked out and I'd have to listen on the radio. Until yesterday, AT&T U-Verse and Fox Sports were in a dispute in which AT&T would not show all the games that someone with cable, DirecTV or DISH would be able to see (they worked out a deal yesterday). Anyway, I also subscribe to MLB.TV and previously used to buy MLB Extra Innings to watch more out-of-market games. But, because of blackout rules, I could never watch live Cardinals games on either. I understand the TV networks want to protect their investments but I don't understand why someone who pays EXTRA shouldn't be allowed to watch whatever game they'd like. Also, when Fox shows Saturday Baseball, you cannot watch any other game than the one they provide to you. If I pay for the service, why can't I watch whichever game I'd like? It makes no sense to me. Sorry for the long rant.

"It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and leaves you to face fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it goes...And summer is gone."
    A. Bartlett Giamatti
    The Green Fields of the Mind

Default Re: Blackout Rules

I think most blackout rules are ridiculous.

Pray for the 2014 Phillies

Well, they make the blackout rules pretty clear before you purchase, I think. But it should be a non-issue, as the main reason for the blackout rule for your local market team(s) is that you should be able to tune in to your local FoxSports station or whatever it is in that particular market, to see your local team. The people who I've found where you really get boned are places like Oklahoma where I live, where both Texas teams, KC, and St. Louis (maybe Colorado as well, can't remember) are considered "local market" so they're blacked out here, even though we don't get the local feeds like STL, KC, Dallas, & Houston area people get anyway. Luckily for me, Cox airs most Cardinals games on Fox Sports Plus, and most Rangers games air on Fox Sports Oklahoma, or Southwest or whatever they're calling it now. If I was an Astros or Royals fan, though, there'd be no way for me to watch the games. Of course, that's an issue for a small minority.

The Fox situation is one day of the week and only impacts a handful of games. You aren't paying for "every single game", you're paying for "80+ games/week" or whatever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rally Killer View Post
    Well, they make the blackout rules pretty clear before you purchase, I think. But it should be a non-issue, as the main reason for the blackout rule for your local market team(s) is that you should be able to tune in to your local FoxSports station or whatever it is in that particular market, to see your local team. The people who I've found where you really get boned are places like Oklahoma where I live, where both Texas teams, KC, and St. Louis (maybe Colorado as well, can't remember) are considered "local market" so they're blacked out here, even though we don't get the local feeds like STL, KC, Dallas, & Houston area people get anyway. Luckily for me, Cox airs most Cardinals games on Fox Sports Plus, and most Rangers games air on Fox Sports Oklahoma, or Southwest or whatever they're calling it now. If I was an Astros or Royals fan, though, there'd be no way for me to watch the games. Of course, that's an issue for a small minority.

The Fox situation is one day of the week and only impacts a handful of games. You aren't paying for "every single game", you're paying for "80+ games/week" or whatever it is.
    No, MLB.TV says EVERY game.

"It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and leaves you to face fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it goes...And summer is gone."
    A. Bartlett Giamatti
    The Green Fields of the Mind

Worst blackout rules in all of sports.

I'm a Tiger fan living in Nashville, so I get MLB.TV to be able to watch all Tiger games. Lately, however, they're usually chosen as one of FOX's Saturday games, so they're blacked out on MLB.TV because they're "national." Except they aren't.

If FOX decides to show a different "national" game in my area (which is often the case) I'm SOL. I've tried going to Buffalo Wild Wings, but of course they aren't magical. Pisses me off, too, because Saturday's are the only days I can routinely sit down and watch the Tigs.

Come on FOX, pick one national game, and stick with it.
    Sometimes good things fall apart, so great things can fall together.