Thread: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to attend Detroit Lions game on Sunday

Default NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to attend Detroit Lions game on Sunday

You monkey's better be at your best behavior and don't throw any beer bottles at the commissioner.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to attend Detroit Lions game on Sunday

Published: Tuesday, December 06, 2011, 2:56 PM Updated: Tuesday, December 06, 2011, 3:10 PM

By Anwar S. Richardson

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell could attend any league game he wanted to see this weekend.
    It seems like Goodell rather be at Ford Field than anywhere else.
    Goodell announced he would attend the Detroit Lions' game against Minnesota via his Twitter account on Tuesday.
    Here is what he wrote:
    "Looking forward to talking w/ a group of @DetroitLions season ticket holders before this Sunday's game at Ford Field"
    Goodell has met with season ticket holders throughout the NFL season. He also has been on conference calls with ticket holders this season, so this is nothing new.
    Now if you are a conspiracy theorist, you may question the timing of Goodell's appearance in lieu of Detroit defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh's suspension and the Lions' penalty filled game against against New Orleans on national television earlier this week.
    Regardless of what Goodell's motives are, Lions players will be watched by the commissioner on Sunday.

Default Re: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to attend Detroit Lions game on Sunday

Maybe with Goodell at Sundays game the Lions will get a fair shake from the referee's this week.

God knows the Lions got a royal screw job from the referee's against New Orleans.

It was very obvious early in the New Orleans game that the Lions were not going to have a chance to win that game.

New Orleans did not have a foul until into the 4th quarter, yet they weer holding on just about every play.

Default Re: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to attend Detroit Lions game on Sunday

A fair shake from the refs? How about we start by not getting stupid unsportsmanlike penalities. Refs are going to blow calls every game, you can count on it. That is why you have to play a good enough game to win regardless if they fuck you over with a bad call. And we cannot do that currently because our players act like hot-headed little pricks after the whistle is blown.
    Most NFL teams are the smart kids with the Legos who keep rebuilding something bigger and better. The Lions are the slow kid who chews on the pieces.

It would've been nice if Burleson had quit doing the same exact little push off after the first time he got called as well. If you can't get separation without pushing off, you shouldn't be a starting WR in the NFL.
    DM: "Are you a better defense?"
    MM: "Not even close.

Burleson would not be a starting WR on any other good team in the NFL, he would be a #3 WR at best. He is best suited as the slot WR.

The #2 WR position needs badly to be upgrade during the upcoming off season either through F/A or the draft. The Lions need a clone of CJ on the other side of the field to take the double teaming away from CJ.

I'm in favor of an upgrade at #2 WR as well. And I think Titus Young is a solid #3 WR for us moving forward. Either keep Burleson around for depth or dump his contract as far as I'm concerned.

Wow seriously? I've seen a lot worse "push offs" not called. Even Collinsworth said during the game he "was the worst cheater" when it came to that. They even teach how to skate the edge of pushing off to high school wr's. The lions were getting hosed by the refs @ NO and @ GB. I don't know why but I know what I saw.
    Oldest daughter Update: now I have 2 grand baby's

Overseas(Japan) at the moment, reports to N. Carolina 4/15/2012

#16 Mohave T-birds Starting CB & #2 QB
    http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/d6H...cott-braun.htm

Taekwondo - green belt

"Blame the refs" is a lame approach to take. I'd rather concentrate on what the team can do differently. And even if the penalties they were calling on Burleson were really ticky tack (I agree with this) it's his fault for not adjusting after the first one. You've got to be able to recognize how the refs are calling things and make adjustments. His failure to do so seems to say one of two things 1) he's not sharp enough to make that change in the middle of the game or 2) he's not talented enough to get separation without the push off. Either way it's hard not to be a tad concerned. It's not like he's been lighting it up all season and making teams pay for doubling and tripling Calvin. He's been invisible more often than not.

I do agree with you but in the NFL a little consistency by the referee's would be nice and expected at this level of football.

This is not Pop Warner, although the Lions play like that occasionally.

We play a physical brand of football in a league that's increasingly reluctant to have that type of play. It's not a good formula for avoiding penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by kalamazoo317 View Post
    "Blame the refs" is a lame approach to take. I'd rather concentrate on what the team can do differently. And even if the penalties they were calling on Burleson were really ticky tack (I agree with this) it's his fault for not adjusting after the first one. You've got to be able to recognize how the refs are calling things and make adjustments. His failure to do so seems to say one of two things 1) he's not sharp enough to make that change in the middle of the game or 2) he's not talented enough to get separation without the push off. Either way it's hard not to be a tad concerned. It's not like he's been lighting it up all season and making teams pay for doubling and tripling Calvin. He's been invisible more often than not.
    Two thumbs up here. Exactly what I would have said, if I wasn't too lazy to type it.
    Most NFL teams are the smart kids with the Legos who keep rebuilding something bigger and better. The Lions are the slow kid who chews on the pieces.

Seems the refs might be expecting to see questionable play from the Lions because of the image they've built and the media has ran with. I don't doubt that the refs may be influenced, perhaps even subconsciously. Regardless, it does appear the refs are watching the Lions more closely than their opponents.

There's a real possibility that Goodell might be coming to observe things for himself and possibly on request from the Lions' brass. It's one thing to be considered as a smash-mouth team that plays hard and another to be deemed a team that plays dirty with intention. No matter what, Goodell is going to get an opportunity to see for himself and come to his own conclusion first hand. If the Lions get numerous questionable calls against them, Goodell will be able to see the replays on the big screens just like everyone else in attendance. Him being there ultimately won't reflect on the outcome of this game, but from what he witnesses, he may be inclined to pass along some suggestions that could affect future games. I think it's a great thing that the commish is going to be there this week.

Now if the depleted Lions can just find a way to win this week... If they lose this one at home against Minny, we can stick a fork in their chances to make the playoffs.
    ​Auto Correct has become my worst enema.

Oldcat I agree you you 100%.

Talent wise the Lions should win the game Sunday but effort and mis-queues might be another issue.