View Poll Results: Where will the Phils end up at the end of the season?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100+ wins and Philly celebrates

3 10.34%
  • 90-100 wins and Phillie fans are hanging on every game

8 27.59%
  • 80-90 wins (in playoffs) and fans are relieved to finally be back in the playoffs

6 20.69%
  • 80-90 wins (miss playoffs) and we act the same way we've been acting since Bowa's second year

8 27.59%
  • below 80 wins and long time Phillie fans start lining up to jump off the Ben Franklin bridge

4 13.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prediction on '05 Phillies

Default Prediction on '05 Phillies

It was probably already done before, but I didn't see it. What do you think this year's team will do?
    "If you shoot me in your dreams you better wake up and apologize."

Default Re: Prediction on '05 Phillies

I chose to be optimistic and say we'll make it to the playoffs with 89 wins.

they will win less than 80 come in 3rd in division.

this team can either be great or do down in shambels. burrell is the key to the offense, the only right handed power threat. if he can produce, then it changes the whole offensive approach. we also need to have a bona fide ace, to "set the standard" for the rest of the staff. padilla looks to be the best canidate. we can go from 80-95 wins. im going with about 92

Quote Originally Posted by abreu4prez
    this team can either be great or do down in shambels. burrell is the key to the offense, the only right handed power threat. if he can produce, then it changes the whole offensive approach. we also need to have a bona fide ace, to "set the standard" for the rest of the staff. padilla looks to be the best canidate. we can go from 80-95 wins. im going with about 92
    sounds good i agree. padilla could be that ace and so could wolf. even when wolf was injured last year and playing i think he looked good. i think if he is healthy all year he could be our ace. him and padilla though are our two best looking pitchers though. 92 wins is a good number i cant disagree

Quote Originally Posted by tj11887
    sounds good i agree. padilla could be that ace and so could wolf. even when wolf was injured last year and playing i think he looked good. i think if he is healthy all year he could be our ace. him and padilla though are our two best looking pitchers though. 92 wins is a good number i cant disagree
    wolf and padilla are the two options. myers will be ready in a few years. leiber is very consistently good, i dont see him being ace material. lidle, it depends what we get, what he did in cinci or what he did here. hes not an ace though, just solid

wolf and padilla are the two options. myers will be ready in a few years. leiber is very consistently good, i dont see him being ace material. lidle, it depends what we get, what he did in cinci or what he did here. hes not an ace though, just solid
    yep i agree. myers will be good in a few years. maybe we'll see a pretty solid year possibly better than two years ago. i think he will. lieber will do better than last year i believe. lidle will have a good year too, close to what he was on our team last year, maybe better we'll have to see his stuff. you can put me down on it though. i think hes going to play pretty well on the phillies much better than what he did on cinci

tj, we need thome, JWU and jroll to chime in on this thread so we can have some more to talk about.

I'm going for 91-94 wins and we make the postseason. The team didn't improve at all, but if we're healthy, we should be able to at least repeat what we did last year, and I think we could even do a little better. So I was optimistic and picked 90-100 wins.

I'm loving the positivity here. I was expecting more votes for 80-90 wins and no playoffs. I think the Phils have a good chance of going to the playoffs this year. I think we all know we have the talent to make it to the playoffs. It's all just a matter of avoiding injuries and keeping our key players out of prolonged slumps. I just hope Manuel is the right man. I didn't think Bowa was the problem until last season when the number of complaints from players about him was higher than ever. His use of Robo in certain situations really bothered me. He had no clue how to run that bullpen I think.

86 wins. No playoffs.

Sorry to be the downer.
    "You can't blame Manny just like you can't blame Lindsay Lohan for having awful parents or any Duke basketball player for turning into a whimpering crybaby." --Bill Simmons

Nittany Tar Heel > MikeLewis32

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLewis32
    86 wins. No playoffs.

Sorry to be the downer.
    Glad it didn't have to be me this time. This team is possibly going to be worse than it was last year, on paper anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by asheylarry
    Glad it didn't have to be me this time. This team is possibly going to be worse than it was last year, on paper anyway.
    No real horse on the entire staff except for Wagner.

An offense that doesn't manufacture runs well.

No payroll flexibility or a GM with the nuts to make a big deal at the deadline.

That's a bad combination.
    "You can't blame Manny just like you can't blame Lindsay Lohan for having awful parents or any Duke basketball player for turning into a whimpering crybaby." --Bill Simmons

Nittany Tar Heel > MikeLewis32

I think the offense is there but the pitching is a big question. 4 pretty decent P's but that didnt work for STL last year in the WS and for many teams in the past.

If wolf, Leiber and Padilla can pitch as theyre capable of I would say they have a chance to unseat ATL. Huge IF though.

Im gonna give them 2nd in the division till I see what players NYM buy and there will be at least 1 more big name with the new TV station revenue next year and a payroll limit of 110 or so this year from what ive read. Im putting Florida 3rd since theyre trying to deal AJ Burnett and I think thats a big mistake.
    I need a new sig. Something that preferably insults and annoys people. If it creates general dislike and animosity thats an added bonus. Why, you ask? Why not?

tj, we need thome, JWU and jroll to chime in on this thread so we can have some more to talk about.
    yea i agree where are they?

Sorry fellas, yesterday was one long ass day for me, I have a little catching up to do.

I'm being the optimist here and I voted for 90-100 wins. I think the race is going to be a close one for a change, certainly a single digit lead for whomever wins.

On paper, we do not have as good a team as we did to end the season last year. But, things didnt work out last year. This year, I say we are going to play better and Thome in particular is really going to have a monster year. Honestly, if we get years out of Abreu and Thome like we're used to, and Burrell steps up, this offense could carry us all year long. Is that likely? Tough to say....but I'm thinking we are going to be in the playoff hunt for the duration of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by thomeismyhomie
    Sorry fellas, yesterday was one long ass day for me, I have a little catching up to do.

I'm being the optimist here and I voted for 90-100 wins. I think the race is going to be a close one for a change, certainly a single digit lead for whomever wins.

On paper, we do not have as good a team as we did to end the season last year. But, things didnt work out last year. This year, I say we are going to play better and Thome in particular is really going to have a monster year. Honestly, if we get years out of Abreu and Thome like we're used to, and Burrell steps up, this offense could carry us all year long. Is that likely? Tough to say....but I'm thinking we are going to be in the playoff hunt for the duration of the year.
    I'm thinking this whole "not better on paper" this year could be good for us. The past two years we've been expected to win. Is it possible that being an underdog can help this team? They have more of a reason to play. And maybe after the year-long playoff race is over, we'll actually win the race this time.

Just trying to give it a positive spin.

Quote Originally Posted by moses
    I'm thinking this whole "not better on paper" this year could be good for us. The past two years we've been expected to win. Is it possible that being an underdog can help this team? They have more of a reason to play. And maybe after the year-long playoff race is over, we'll actually win the race this time.

Just trying to give it a positive spin.
    Positivity is not a quality you should have as a fan of Philly teams. You're only setting yourself up for much greater disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by asheylarry
    Positivity is not a quality you should have as a fan of Philly teams. You're only setting yourself up for much greater disappointment.
    You're probably right...but that's what makes it so great...the enormous letdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by moses
    You're probably right...but that's what makes it so great...the enormous letdowns.
    yea but i agree. the phillies have been the favorite and now they wont be the favorite, so maybe they'll finish better than usual. we'll have to wait and see. it could be worse for the phillies though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast