View Poll Results: mauer or pujols?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • joe mauer

    8 25.81%
  • albert pujols

    23 74.19%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: mauer or pujols?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    33,963

    Default mauer or pujols?

    kornhole and wilbon are arguing this one on toss up.

    the question is simple: who would you start your team with between mauer and pujols?

    i really don't think this is much of a discussion but i'm curious.

    obviously there are other choices than these two. hell i'd probably take braun #1, but the question was only regarding joe and albert.

  2. #2

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Assuming Fat Albert is the age he says he is, I'd go with him. Mauer would be a good one. Braun would be a good one. Utley would be a good one. I'd take Fat Albert though.
    Bonus fake Keith Jackson appearance: "Whoa, Nellie, we have ourselves a barn-burner here today! Welcome to the 117th dust-up between the Snortin' Swine of Springfield A&M and the Springfield University Nittany Tide. Ho, ho, doctor, break out the hickory switch! Well, hang on to your hoop skirts, folks, because Anton Lubchenko is going to be kicking higher than a mule on payday. Oh, land o'lakes! Take that, ozone layer! (later in the game) Oh, doctor, with SU behind and seconds left, my supply of homespun sayings is lower than a doodlebug in Aunt Tilly's root cellar. So we'll -- Oh, jumpin' crawdaddies! Is that Lubchenko coming back on the field?"
    SU Nittany Tide's own Anton Lubchenko!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Around the Mad-Town
    Posts
    14,618

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    I went with Mauer. Simple reason, there are plenty of great hitting guys at 1B not so much at C.

    The Official Sports-Boards Bracket Buster
    Xbox Gamertag: GameMisconduct1

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    33,963

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by SU Nittany Tide View Post
    I'd take Fat Albert though.

    then vote man.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    mn
    Posts
    33,963

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by GameMisconduct View Post
    I went with Mauer. Simple reason, there are plenty of great hitting guys at 1B not so much at C.

    i don't think there's a wrong answer to the question, and i agree with your point. i chose pujols just because of the power, but mauer is not just a catcher, he is a gold glove catcher.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    54,849

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by GameMisconduct View Post
    I went with Mauer. Simple reason, there are plenty of great hitting guys at 1B not so much at C.
    Pujols has also played 3B, LF, RF and 2B in the Majors. He plays first because he has a bad elbow. He's no slouch defensively.
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

  7. #7

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Mauer is a good hitter. Pujols is the best hitter.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now
    Someone please tell me it's not a train

  8. #8

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOFAVRE View Post
    then vote man.
    Make me.
    Bonus fake Keith Jackson appearance: "Whoa, Nellie, we have ourselves a barn-burner here today! Welcome to the 117th dust-up between the Snortin' Swine of Springfield A&M and the Springfield University Nittany Tide. Ho, ho, doctor, break out the hickory switch! Well, hang on to your hoop skirts, folks, because Anton Lubchenko is going to be kicking higher than a mule on payday. Oh, land o'lakes! Take that, ozone layer! (later in the game) Oh, doctor, with SU behind and seconds left, my supply of homespun sayings is lower than a doodlebug in Aunt Tilly's root cellar. So we'll -- Oh, jumpin' crawdaddies! Is that Lubchenko coming back on the field?"
    SU Nittany Tide's own Anton Lubchenko!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hummelstown, PA
    Posts
    12,471

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Confidence Man View Post
    Mauer is a good hitter. Pujols is the best all-around hitter.
    Pujols is more multi-dimentional. Mauer has the better average, but Albert has a more significant lead in the power department. Not to mention the higher OBP (#13 all-time at .426 vs. #45 for Mauer at .405).

    I'd pick Pujols, but I'd take either of them.

  10. #10

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Domino427 View Post
    Pujols is more multi-dimentional. Mauer has the better average, but Albert has a more significant lead in the power department. Not to mention the higher OBP (#13 all-time at .426 vs. #45 for Mauer at .405).

    I'd pick Pujols, but I'd take either of them.
    Mauer has a better average right now, but has only one full season where he hit as high as Pujols' career average. The significant difference is power makes up any difference in fielding. And really, I don't think there is much, as Pujols is no DH in 1B's clothing.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now
    Someone please tell me it's not a train

  11. #11

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    I would take Mauer easily. He plays the more difficult position (at GG level) and is more than 3 years younger. In starting a team the age difference and how easy it is to find good hitting 1B gives him an edge. Mauer is finally developing the power to come close enough so that the difference in age/position gives him the edge.
    The 3 I's of the Chicago Bears: Inflexability, Incompetence, Idiocy

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St Louis Mo
    Posts
    11,706

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    there are people taking Mauer? really? he's good and all, but the he is far from the consistent excellence of Pujols
    Mauers ops+ each year 137, 107, 144, 117, 137 dominating this season so far with a 221

    Pujls ops+ each year since mauer joined the league 172, 168, 178, 158, 190, 203 with a significant more games played 607-834.

    There is pretty much no catcher, unfortunately, that could be more valuable than Albert is a silly suggestion. And to project future is equally as silly, there is a very good chance that Mauers effective major league career will end before Pujols, catchers have a massively shorter career than first baseman (and I mean massively shorter--you are basically dealing with the two extreme ends of positions, heck pitchers careers are probably comparable to catchers, if you extend it to all star level players, then catchers careers is even shorter than pitchers. )

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Red Sox Nation
    Posts
    4,851

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by GameMisconduct View Post
    I went with Mauer. Simple reason, there are plenty of great hitting guys at 1B not so much at C.

    Which is why in a few years the Yanks will outbid the Red Sox and Mauer will be a very wealthy man.

    Unless the Twins sign him before that.
    Boston Red Sox - 2010 - what a year it will be.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Look out your window
    Posts
    33,322

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox Fan View Post
    Which is why in a few years the Yanks will outbid the Red Sox and Mauer will be a very wealthy man.

    Unless the Twins sign him before that.
    And it that happens, then he will start to suck, just like every other high priced players they bring in.
    "Would I rather be feared or loved? Um... Easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    64,690

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    looking at it from more of a positional view, the C is the most important player on the field IMO. I think Mauer calls a very good game as well as provides great offense. It is a very tough choice, I know Pujols is an amazing player and all, so it is tough.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Andrew Jackson's crib
    Posts
    12,823

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox Fan View Post
    Which is why in a few years the Yanks will outbid the Red Sox and Mauer will be a very wealthy man.

    Unless the Twins sign him before that.
    I'm not so sure about that, with Mauer being from there and all. Of course, Minny will have to pay him, but I've always been under the impression that Mauer is a Twin for life and will take the hometown discount to remain there.

    For the sake of this argument, I say Pujols. But it's a rather stupid argument, I might add. Compare two first baseman (Pujols or Cabrera?) or two catchers (Mauer or McCann?), but not a first baseman and a catcher.
    Sometimes good things fall apart, so great things can fall together.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Shopping for a new perch
    Posts
    81,318

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by John3714 View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, with Mauer being from there and all. Of course, Minny will have to pay him, but I've always been under the impression that Mauer is a Twin for life and will take the hometown discount to remain there.

    For the sake of this argument, I say Pujols. But it's a rather stupid argument, I might add. Compare two first baseman (Pujols or Cabrera?) or two catchers (Mauer or McCann?), but not a first baseman and a catcher.
    Mauer is a hometown boy and I'm sure he'll give twins some consideration...I think he likes playing here..but he knows he can cash in big time elsewhere and the twins will have to be competitive.

  18. #18

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Pretty much everything CFB said. Mauer being as good as he is at the catcher position is great and all, but the decline can be swift with that position. There's a good chance a position change and/or some time at DH is in Mauer's future to preserve his bat if he'll take it, and if he doesn't, his offense and defense will likely decline much faster than Albert's. And, I just don't think there's any comparison with any current major leaguers with Albert. He's the only player in the majors who people could actually argue he is super-human. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Cards fan.

    Mauer's good though.

  19. #19

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Killer View Post
    Pretty much everything CFB said. Mauer being as good as he is at the catcher position is great and all, but the decline can be swift with that position. There's a good chance a position change and/or some time at DH is in Mauer's future to preserve his bat if he'll take it, and if he doesn't, his offense and defense will likely decline much faster than Albert's. And, I just don't think there's any comparison with any current major leaguers with Albert. He's the only player in the majors who people could actually argue he is super-human. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Cards fan.

    Mauer's good though.
    If they see a decline for a long stretch he will be moved to another position (there is almost no chance it happens in the next 5 years). There isn't a big chance he will decline faster than Pujols given the difference in age and Albert being hurt basically every year.

    If his power stays and he becomes a 25+ HR guy the huge disparity between Mauer and the average C makes him worth more than Pujols. At some point he will probably be moved to 1B or LF/RF which will extend his career and allow him to stay a good/great hitter later into his career.
    The 3 I's of the Chicago Bears: Inflexability, Incompetence, Idiocy

  20. #20

    Default Re: mauer or pujols?

    Quote Originally Posted by dabulls85 View Post
    If they see a decline for a long stretch he will be moved to another position (there is almost no chance it happens in the next 5 years). There isn't a big chance he will decline faster than Pujols given the difference in age and Albert being hurt basically every year.

    If his power stays and he becomes a 25+ HR guy the huge disparity between Mauer and the average C makes him worth more than Pujols. At some point he will probably be moved to 1B or LF/RF which will extend his career and allow him to stay a good/great hitter later into his career.
    If his power stays... This is a key point, in my opinion. What if it doesn't? His offense won't play at any position he would be moved to as well as it does behind the plate. Pujols's offense is no fluke, and he's only closer to decline. Not in it.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now
    Someone please tell me it's not a train

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •