No. 2 Draft pick Lynn signs, visits Busch
06/17/2008 8:27 PM ET
By Lee Hurwitz / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- Warming up by the right-field bullpen, several of the Cardinals had absolutely no idea who the 6-foot-5, 230-pound giant wearing jersey No. 08 was.

But the entourage of front office personnel knew exactly who Lance Lynn was.
"I saw a few of the pitchers out there running, kind of eyeing me a little bit there," Lynn said, flashing a smile in the Cardinals dugout.
Lynn, the Cardinals' second-round pick and No. 39 overall selection in the First-Year Player Draft, flew to St. Louis to take a physical and throw a few pitches for the organization. After seeing him throw 30 pitches, the general consensus was that Lynn impressed in his first session at Busch Stadium.
"He looked great," general manager John Mozeliak said. "Obviously he's a big boy and I think he was just excited to be out here, and I think it's a great experience for him."
It had been a busy day for Lynn. He arrived in St. Louis to get his physicals out of the way and finish some of the paperwork for his contract before joining the Batavia Muckdogs in New York -- the Cardinals' Class A short season club.
Lynn said when he joins the Muckdogs he expects to pitch in relief because his collegiate season with Ole Miss ended a few weeks ago. Since then, he has not thrown long enough off the mound to make a start right away.
"My first outing might be a relief appearance and then I'll gradually move into the rotation," Lynn said.
Selected in the compensatory round, Lynn boasts a fastball that peaks around 94 mph. His repertoire includes the fastball, curveball, changeup and slider, which made him a very appealing selection.
At Ole Miss, Lynn went 7-4 in his junior year with a 4.52 ERA. However, his 110 strikeouts in 89 2/3 innings -- over 12 strikeouts per nine innings -- make him a strikeout machine.
The Cardinals first overall selection, Arizona State third baseman Brett Wallace, has not signed with the club yet, but Mozeliak remained optimistic a deal will be done soon. "I think we're getting closer, hopefully [we'll] have something by the weekend," Mozeliak said.