Thread: Sid liked the Peterson pick

Default Sid liked the Peterson pick

Sid Hartman: Once Johnson was picked, Peterson was a no-brainer

The Georgia Tech receiver and Oklahoma running back were ranked 1-2 by the Vikings, who were thrilled when the latter fell to them in the NFL draft.

By Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: May 02, 2007 8:14 PM

Rick Spielman, Vikings vice president of player personnel, said the team had Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson ranked as the No. 1 player in the draft. If he had been available, Johnson would have been the only receiver the Vikings would have taken in the first round.

Ranked second on the Vikings draft board was Oklahoma running back
    Adrian Peterson,who they were fortunate to get with the seventh overall pick.

"[Johnson] was No. 1 on our board, and I think it was pretty much a consensus across the league, just because he has some unique physical traits that you don't see," Spielman said. "In four or five years I haven't, and even longer back you can probably go. ... A guy with that physical stature and that speed and that ability to go up and get the ball and everything. He's a unique prospect."

Had Peterson not been available, it is possible the Vikings would have taken a defensive back such as Michigan's Leon Hall or one of the top defensive linemen who their scouts rated highly.

While ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and others are giving the Vikings high marks for doing a good job, Spielman admits you can't judge the talent until they get on the field and help the Vikings win games.

"But we were very pleased with the way the board fell to us," Spielman said. "We feel we got good value as we went through the second, third -- all the way down through the draft -- that we got good value at our picks."

The Vikings didn't take a quarterback until the seventh round, when they drafted Tyler Thigpen of Coastal Carolina, because Spielman said the club is happy with the current group of quarterbacks.

"We feel very good about Tarvaris Jackson, we feel very good about Brooks Bollinger, they fit what we do from an offensive standpoint as far as the scheme goes," Spielman said. "Coach [Brad] Childress, I know, is extremely high on these young guys as [is] everybody else in the organization, so our biggest thought going into this thing was going out and getting some playmakers around the young quarterback.

"And if we could do that, that alleviates some of the pressure [on] him where he doesn't have to make a big play every play. As we grow as an organization, as these young players -- because we're going to be a very young team next year with the way we're building this thing -- that as these players all grow together, hopefully they'll be together a long time and we'll have some success."

Did Spielman think they were able to draft some sleepers on the second day?

"We nabbed a couple of those guys," he said. "The [linebacker] Rufus Alexander kid's a very good football player from Oklahoma and has been very productive. We had a higher grade on him but we were able to get him in the sixth round. Aundrae Allison [East Carolina]is a very talented and athletic receiver that we thought we had good value there. And even the Brian Robison kid [Texas] is a defensive end that was the best pass rusher left on the board for us and also a very good special teams player. So we were extremely happy with our second day, and hopefully those guys will pan out."

Need O-linemen

Although the Vikings have a need for offensive linemen, they didn't draft any. They will bring in several offensive linemen as free agents.
    "We were able to nab five offensive linemen, the top five offensive linemen on our board that didn't get drafted," Spielman said.

The Vikings will find out a lot more about these players and their athletic ability when they hold their rookie camp this weekend.

Moss in ideal spot
    Cris Carter, a former teammate of Randy Moss with the Vikings, told the Boston Globe that he is confident the receiver couldn't be in a better spot than with the New England Patriots. Carter, now an analyst on HBO's "Inside the NFL," said: "People are going to be pleasantly surprised. He does need structure help, and he has got it there. Randy is not going to have a problem because of what they have as far as structure with the players and the front office and the coach."

Default Re: Sid liked the Peterson pick

I'm absolutely shocked that Sid liked what the Vikings did.

Quote Originally Posted by fahvra View Post
    if they are asleep I dont think it matters what age they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Game View Post
    He's pretty popular down there.

When I worked construction I could put 2 feet away with ease over lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTVike View Post
    It used to freak me out, but I couldn't help myself from touching it.

we couldve drafted logan payne 7th overall and sid would praise it

Quote Originally Posted by kobesgame
    I'm absolutely shocked that Sid liked what the Vikings did.

i'm absolutely shocked he made it through an entire article without mentioning bobby knight.

Quote Originally Posted by ole
    i'm absolutely shocked he made it through an entire article without mentioning bobby knight.
    they're friends you know

you guys do know Sid was GM minneapolis lakers

Quote Originally Posted by ole
    I'm sure if the whole article would've been posted you would've gotten at least one reference.

if they are asleep I dont think it matters what age they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Game View Post
    He's pretty popular down there.

When I worked construction I could put 2 feet away with ease over lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTVike View Post
    It used to freak me out, but I couldn't help myself from touching it.

No Minnesota sports team in history has ever done something Sid didn't like. He probably praised Norm Green for moving the North Stars.....

On the Sports Show, Sid went on for five minutes about how they said they were going to take Quinn if he was available.

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71
    On the Sports Show, Sid went on for five minutes about how they said they were going to take Quinn if he was available.
    And of course nobody has the sack to replay the tape and make Sid eat some tasty crow. Certainly not his boytoy, Mike Max.

I honestly forgot that stupid show was still on the air. Sid being the delusional lunatic that he is....Max kissing his ass.....Ruesse and that nails-on-the-chalkboard voice of his.....and Dark Star.

I'd rather watch C-SPAN.