Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My car smells like its burning something.

Question My car smells like its burning something.

Really putrid burnt smell after I cut off the engine...but it's driving fine...Oil level and temperature is ok...Any suggestions?

Am I safe on the road?

Default Re: My car smells like its burning something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiddy78
    Really putrid burnt smell after I cut off the engine...but it's driving fine...Oil level and temperature is ok...Any suggestions?

Am I safe on the road?
    Might be the catalytic converter.
    just picked up a prescription that used to be $65 and is now $100. thanks ObamaIslamoCommunistDeathPanelTaxCare
    Enya
    If they like their cake, they can keep their cake.
    Marie Antoinette

Quote Originally Posted by ryr8828
    Might be the catalytic converter.
    That sounds expensive. Is that a "don't drive this sumb*tch until you get it checked" issue?

That sounds expensive. Is that a "don't drive this sumb*tch until you get it checked" issue?
    The worst thing that could happen is it get completely plugged up and the car die.
    It could be something else too.

I think catalytic converters have pretty good warranties on them since they're emissions equipment.

What kind and year of car? New MiniCooper?
    just picked up a prescription that used to be $65 and is now $100. thanks ObamaIslamoCommunistDeathPanelTaxCare
    Enya
    Marie Antoinette

The worst thing that could happen is it get completely plugged up and the car die.
    It could be something else too.

I think catalytic converters have pretty good warranties on them since they're emissions equipment.

What kind and year of car? New MiniCooper?
    1999 Chrysler Sebring...146000 miles or so on it...I've been watching for the first signs of death....but every month without a payment is a good month....Once I get into major repair land I'll be hocking/trading it for anything I can and buying a new ride....I'm hoping that's later rather than sooner....

I love the car...Damn shame it might have to go....but I'm no mechanic and would rather shell out dough for something dependable than sinking tons of money to keep something possibly on its last legs runnin....

1999 Chrysler Sebring...146000 miles or so on it...I've been watching for the first signs of death....but every month without a payment is a good month....Once I get into major repair land I'll be hocking/trading it for anything I can and buying a new ride....I'm hoping that's later rather than sooner....

I love the car...Damn shame it might have to go....but I'm no mechanic and would rather shell out dough for something dependable than sinking tons of money to keep something possibly on its last legs runnin....
    Catalytic converter warranties mandated by the govt. are only 8 years or 80,000 miles.
    A car with that many miles on it, it could be anything. Crankcase blowby, or oil burning on the manifold, or anything.
    Motor clean?
    Enya
    Marie Antoinette

Catalytic converter warranties mandated by the govt. are only 8 years or 80,000 miles.
    A car with that many miles on it, it could be anything. Crankcase blowby, or oil burning on the manifold, or anything.
    Motor clean?
    I don't have the heart to tell you that there hasn't been any maintenance on the thing other than oil changes and transmission fluid & belt changes since about 16,000 miles (how many I bought it with)....

Helluva car that Chrysler is....Like a tank. The smell makes me sad. I wasnt worthy of such a dependable ride with my limited knowledge and care....but I'll swear by Chrysler to anyone who will listen as a thank you...

...Of course as I say that, I'm contemplating a Pontiac as a replacement for it....

I just wanna make sure I'm safe on the road driving it.

where is the smell coming from? Engine or the exhaust end or are you just smelling it in your cab?

If you want motivation on getting it checked out, it is probably gonna cost you more in loss of gas mileage to drive with it fucked up then to bring it to your local garage and getting it looked at or fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by IladelphiaPA
    where is the smell coming from? Engine or the exhaust end or are you just smelling it in your cab?
    Engine/front end...No to the in the cab/exhaust...It's pretty potent if I put it in the garage...so now I don't.

The smell of oil burning is pretty distinct, it that the smell or is it something else?

The last really bad smell I had in a car was a mouse nest up against the manifold. little bastards must have been cold and found a nice warm place...at least for an evening.

Quote Originally Posted by fknhippie
    The smell of oil burning is pretty distinct, it that the smell or is it something else?

The last really bad smell I had in a car was a mouse nest up against the manifold. little bastards must have been cold and found a nice warm place...at least for an evening.
    I'm not sure about the oil burning smell...I'm that green when it comes to cars...

Burnt mouse could not have been a very good smell.

I'm not sure about the oil burning smell...I'm that green when it comes to cars...

Burnt mouse could not have been a very good smell.
    It didn't smell nice, but i was better off than the mice.

The converter use to smell like rotten eggs when they went bad, not sure if thats still the case. Check around the engine, drive train, and exhaust system and see if anything is caught on something or if you see any fluid.

An anti-freeze leak will smell sweet, oh, and check your belts, they smell terrible when they start slipping.

It didn't smell nice, but i was better off than the mice.

The converter use to smell like rotten eggs when they went bad, not sure if thats still the case. Check around the engine, drive train, and exhaust system and see if anything is caught on something or if you see any fluid.

An anti-freeze leak will smell sweet, oh, and check your belts, they smell terrible when they start slipping.
    I just had my belts changed recently....Would new ones do that?

I just had my belts changed recently....Would new ones do that?
    If they're slipping or if they're too tight they could be doing damage to another component.

Is there a man in the house?

One that can look at it?

Maybe your wife?

Quote Originally Posted by Ima

One that can look at it?

Maybe your wife?
    ooohh...cold blooded, dude.

ooohh...cold blooded, dude.
    Would you expect anything less?

If its the catalytic converter just find a shop that will cut it out

Quote Originally Posted by Ima

One that can look at it?

Maybe your wife?
    You'd think a mechanical engineer who works on planes and rocket ships would be a help...but no.

It's already been established that I'm half a man.

Any ideas? This is your field right? I'll kick an overweight crack addict that's a bad parent in the pouch for you if you're right.

Have you tried taking the car for a spin and then opening the hood as soon as you get home to try and pin point the smell. That usually works.

Have you tried taking the car for a spin and then opening the hood as soon as you get home to try and pin point the smell. That usually works.
    I'm going to do that this afternoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast