Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: TNA News & Notes.....

Raised in Conant Gardens AKA "Slum Village".

Post TNA News & Notes.....

Credit - Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Jim Cornette has recently been stepping up to produce more of TNA’s interview segments.

Until Konnan gets his kidney surgery he can’t lift weights or eat a lot of protein, salt, dairy products and citrus fruits. He also needs to stay away from junk food like pizza and soda. AAA in Mexico is doing a benefit show in February to help pay for his surgery which will run him over $30,000. WWE has okayed Rey Mysterio to perform at the show. Doctors are saying that his near kidney failure was caused by heavy usage of pain killers and eating a high-protein bodybuilder’s diet for a long period of time. He was told that the damage is not the type of damage consistent with steroid use.

Mike Tenay has been brought back as a regular member of the TNA booking committee.

Brother Ray had heat on him backstage from several people who felt he has not been putting over Homicide or the LAX enough. LAX is viewed as one of the hottest things going in TNA within the company, and to smooth things over Ray offered to put over Homicide on TV.
    You see, I come from a highly-educated university, so when I come and post on this message board, I gotta dumb myself down.

Lightbulb Re: TNA News & Notes.....

I guess I can say that I got it half right; he wasn't taking 'roids, but he was on painkillers.
    You see, I come from a highly-educated university, so when I come and post on this message board, I gotta dumb myself down.

Default Re: TNA News & Notes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Waltbabyluv23

Jim Cornette has recently been stepping up to produce more of TNA’s interview segments.

Until Konnan gets his kidney surgery he can’t lift weights or eat a lot of protein, salt, dairy products and citrus fruits. He also needs to stay away from junk food like pizza and soda. AAA in Mexico is doing a benefit show in February to help pay for his surgery which will run him over $30,000. WWE has okayed Rey Mysterio to perform at the show. Doctors are saying that his near kidney failure was caused by heavy usage of pain killers and eating a high-protein bodybuilder’s diet for a long period of time. He was told that the damage is not the type of damage consistent with steroid use.

Mike Tenay has been brought back as a regular member of the TNA booking committee.

Brother Ray had heat on him backstage from several people who felt he has not been putting over Homicide or the LAX enough. LAX is viewed as one of the hottest things going in TNA within the company, and to smooth things over Ray offered to put over Homicide on TV.

I really respect WWE for letting Mysterio perform in the fundraiser, classy move by a classless promotion.
    I am without a doubt the BEST poster in this forum. Which makes me better than each and every one of you.

Exclamation Re: TNA News & Notes.....

Quote Originally Posted by lemejm24
    I really respect WWE for letting Mysterio perform in the fundraiser, classy move by a classless promotion.
    Now that has me wondering for real!

Thumbs up Re: TNA News & Notes.....

Backstage morale in TNA, Konnan update, TNA going on the road & more
    Submitted by Jason Stone on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 1:29 PM EST

Credit - PWInsider.com

Konnan was said to have been in a lot of pain backstage at the TNA tapings last night. The effort to help him with his medical bills is still ongoing, if you’re looking for information on how you can donate, email [email protected]

One of the hot topics backstage at the TNA tapings last night was the expansion to two hours of TV and running events on the road. Many believe that sooner or later, TNA will begin running house shows and PPVs on the road full-time. Conversations about a two-hour timeslot are ongoing between Spike TV and TNA.

Spike TV officials had ringside seats last night and threw an after party when the taping was over.

Last night show was well liked backstage by everyone and it was noted that it was likely the best backstage morale in months.

Post Re: TNA News & Notes.....

While backstage morale in TNA is said to be very high right now, there are still some undercard workers not happy with their position and pay. They are especially unhappy about having to pay for their own hotels and transportation.

There is some talk within the company about making Christy Hemme manage a tag team or stable that will be feuding with VKM.

After some controversial media interviews with Samoa Joe, Kip James and BG James, TNA now wants to authorize all media interviews with TNA talent.

There is actually some real life backstage heat between Team 3D and the LAX in TNA. Brother Ray has been frustrated with fans cheering for LAX instead of Team 3D due to Konnan’s promos. While Team 3D still does get cheered, some are comparing the situation to how WCW fans were cheering for the New World Order which was a heel group. Brother Ray has complained to management about the situation.

(source: Pro Wrestling Insider)

The Diamonds in the Rough are no more. Elix Skipper and David Young were released from their TNA contracts last week. I don't know about Skipper but Young had requested his release several weeks ago. Neither had been used in some time. Simon Diamond, who managed the team, will be staying on with the company as an agent.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now
    Someone please tell me it's not a train

Arrow Re: TNA News & Notes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Obligatory Phailure
    (source: Pro Wrestling Insider)

The Diamonds in the Rough are no more. Elix Skipper and David Young were released from their TNA contracts last week. I don't know about Skipper but Young had requested his release several weeks ago. Neither had been used in some time. Simon Diamond, who managed the team, will be staying on with the company as an agent.
    Maybe this was a reason for TNA not to have his move as one of the Top 5 Greatest TNA moments.

Sting has officially turned into the Undertaker. He challenged Abyss to a "deathbed" match on last night's show. Abyss became Kane a couple weeks ago when he put on that red mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Obligatory Phailure
    Sting has officially turned into the Undertaker. He challenged Abyss to a "deathbed" match on last night's show. Abyss became Kane a couple weeks ago when he put on that red mask.
    I can't wait for TNA to announce that they are brothers!

Quote Originally Posted by JWilson17
    I can't wait for TNA to announce that they are brothers!
    Half brothers. James Mitchell is Abyss's real dad.

There is definitely some legit backstage heat between LAX and Team 3D, more specifically, Konnan and Brother Ray. Some have even gone as far as saying that the two hate each other.

After the Team 3D/LAX Belting Pot match on Impact, Brother Ray jumped the rail and got into the faces of several LAX fans that were sitting about 5 rows back from ringside and they backed down. Sources say that if a wrestler not as established as Brother Ray had done something like this, they would have been punished by management. There have been nights where LAX fans outnumber Team 3D fans, but this wasn’t one of those nights. People who were backstage say that there was a lot of heat from the crowd during that match that didn’t come across on TV.

The whole thing started a few weeks ago when Brother Ray was complaining to management about Konnan’s promos making people cheer for LAX, when they’re supposed to be the heels.

- - - - - Chris Jericho has been hinting to friends lately that he is getting the itch to return to the ring. However, he is not looking forward to WWE’s heavy travel schedule.

He is hoping to get a special appearance contract similar to Mick Foley’s deal. Jericho is open to the idea of working with TNA, but only if the money is right. WWE appears to be his first choice right now.

--TNA has pulled all talent from both ROH and PWG. Technically, PWG canceled all TNA future bookings, as well as stuff already on the schedule, as TNA refused to allow its talent to appear on third party released DVDs. The ROH deal was inevitable once ROH announced going to PPV yesterday. That means no more Austin Aries or Homicide. Chris Sabin & Alex Shelley were only booked for Chicago although I'm sure they'd have loved to have had them longer, but it wasn't in the cards.

TNA is no longer allowing its talent to appear on shows that are released on DVDs through High Spots. This will cost some of the wrestlers, particularly the younger X Division guys, to have fewer places to work at a time when the morale of many of them is way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltbabyluv23
    --TNA has pulled all talent from both ROH and PWG. Technically, PWG canceled all TNA future bookings, as well as stuff already on the schedule, as TNA refused to allow its talent to appear on third party released DVDs. The ROH deal was inevitable once ROH announced going to PPV yesterday. That means no more Austin Aries or Homicide. Chris Sabin & Alex Shelley were only booked for Chicago although I'm sure they'd have loved to have had them longer, but it wasn't in the cards.

TNA is no longer allowing its talent to appear on shows that are released on DVDs through High Spots. This will cost some of the wrestlers, particularly the younger X Division guys, to have fewer places to work at a time when the morale of many of them is way down.
    I sent this piece to a friend yesterday as part of the regular news update. (He doesn't have internet access at work.) I bolded the same part.

A more detailed look at the decision to pull talent from ROH & PWG by Pro Wrestling Torch.

On April 24, TNA Wrestling approached Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (PWG) with a contract that would prevent TNA wrestlers from appearing on PWG DVDs sold through a third party, this according to a press release issued by PWG, based out of Southern California. A significant portion of PWG's revenue is generated by DVD sales of live events through their own website and through third party sites such as highspots.com. With that in mind, PWG has decided to end all business with TNA and not utilize TNA contracted wrestlers on future shows, effective May 3.

PWG considered several options to prevent the measure of ending the relationship with TNA, including releasing DVDs without the matches involving TNA wrestlers, but they felt it would compromise the integrity of the DVD product. "Therefore, we have been forced to end our business relationship indefinitely," says PWG.

TNA contracted wrestlers Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley were scheduled for PWG's next shows on May 19 and 20 to crown new tag champions. They were considered favorites to win the belts, but they have been pulled from the weekend shows. Samoa Joe, Low Ki, A.J. Styles, and Christopher Daniels were also booked for future shows in 2007, but they will no longer be appearing on PWG shows.

In the bigger picture for the independent scene, promotions that utilize TNA wrestlers with any regularity and also market DVDs on highspots.com or other third-party retailers now must consider whether to pull TNA wrestlers from future shows or take an alternate approach to selling DVDs without the TNA talent on the DVD release. For the TNA contracted wrestlers who depend on independent booking dates to supplement their income from TNA, they will have fewer independent booking dates available to them, especially if PWG's decision has a domino effect on the rest of the independent wrestling scene.

From a legal perspective, TNA has maintained throughout its company's history - whether in press interviews or on Stephen A. Smith's former ESPN talk show - that their wrestlers are truly independent contractors. In actuality, TNA handles a contracted wrestler's bookings through their office and negotiates a fee to be paid to the wrestler, with a specific percentage passing through Nashville. This helps wrestlers ensure proper payment and that the wrestler is protected by TNA if the promoter skips town or bounces a check. However, it gives TNA a significant measure of control over the wrestler's work outside of TNA and limits the wrestler's ability to decide who to perform wrestling services for and under what conditions.

This recent development by TNA to take a harder look at competing promotions in the DVD market will prohibit wrestlers from taking bookings from promotions that compete with TNA. This has the potential to cut off significant income opportunities for wrestlers, which might suggest TNA contracted wrestlers are employees rather than independent contractors. The classification is key because TNA is not obligated to provide health care benefits or cover essential worker health issues, such as Konnan's recent kidney transplant, as long as their contracted wrestlers are classified as independent contractors.

One of the key tests for determining the type of employment is the "Right to Control" test. TNA appears to be taking more control over the appearances made by talent, which increasingly suggests TNA is treating talent as employees of the company rather than independent contractors capable of working for any outside organization that forms an agreement with the wrestler.

The Internal Revenue Code (IRC) defines employee vs. independent contractor under these terms: "If the employer has the right to control the worker, that individual is deemed an employee and the company is subject to tax obligations. If the company does not exercise control over the worker but instead gives that worker significant independence, then the worker is generally viewed as an independent contractor."

The key is whether TNA has "the right" to control the worker. Wrestlers signing TNA-specific contracts that contain certain provisions of ownership by TNA - such as the gimmick, clothing, mannerisms, catchphrases, signature moves, etc. - may suggest overall ownership by TNA of the wrestler. If the skills that make a wrestler unique and able to attract independent bookings and work outside of TNA are also owned by TNA, that may suggest an ownership interest.

WWE has skirted the issue of employee vs. independent contractor for longer than most of the TNA roster has been around, but TNA is increasingly become less of a marketer of independent contractors and more of a lessor of employees, according to the legal definition being applied to the recent trends in handling talent relations with TNA contracted wrestlers.

Wow, hey thanks for the find O.P.

i agree with what tna is doing.

The Naturals were officially released this weekend.

I can't seem to find the news item.

Update on Konnan's health;

Shortly after Konnan’s kidney transplant, his body began rejecting the kidney. He spent several days in a Tijuana hospital receiving anti-rejection medicines. However, the treatment was unsuccessful.

He then flew in to San Diego to receive further anti-rejection medicine treatment. According to new reports, things have turned around and his body is reacting well and could, possibly, be out of the hospital within the next few days.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast