Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: TNA News & Notes.....

Raised in Conant Gardens AKA "Slum Village".

Post Re: TNA News & Notes.....

source: Wrestling Observer;

The big news is that “They” are going to be the return of the Main Event Mafia.

The idea is to be Sting, Kurt Angle, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner and Booker T. I’ve also heard Bobby Lashley’s name mentioned by those in the company. Those involved with Lashley’s business say there’s nothing new on his front and didn’t think anything was up with TNA. Lashley is a free agent as his Strikeforce contract expired with his loss to Chad Griggs and he hasn’t signed with anyone since, and the only thing he’s done is pro wrestling for the IGF on their last big show but he’s not advertised on the next show nor been mentioned for their world title tournament. The Mafia would feud with Immortal, at least at first. Steiner is obviously on board, as is Angle, and most figure Sting would be. Considering the numbers in Immortal and Fortune, if Nash or Booker aren’t signed, they are going to have to add people. With Steiner and Angle already on TV, if “They” ends up only being Sting running in with them, that’s going to be a big letdown so they have to get I’d say a minimum of one other big name guy, and better two other guys.

I’ve only been told people in the company presume Nash will be there. Nash has been adamant saying he won’t, that he’s retired, and that he will be at Mania this year for the Shawn Michaels’ induction unless he’s got a movie gig that week. Internally people believe Nash is just selling the angle that he’s gone, but he’s been pretty adamant about it and has told friends he’s retired.

We don’t know anything about Booker, other than he wasn’t believed to have signed last week. Those in TNA were very happy when Booker was gone, with complaints about his workrate, attitude, refusal to put over Matt Morgan, and his own admission that he was using TNA as a way to audition for acting roles. They are promoting that “they” will be revealed on the 2/3 Impact, which features Mr. Anderson vs. Jeff Hardy for the TNA title (taped 1/31, the day after the Rumble), and is also the return of Hulk Hogan to the show after what is actually two months being off.

Between no more football (the last two weeks are the ones where people are talking about how ratings are up for all these reasons like it’s some big news when it happens every January, no more Thursday football, no more holidays, and ratings go up, how about that?), the expectation is this show will do a big rating. Maybe this time if it does they can present a television show that keeps its viewers until the end. It’s frustrating to watch because it may be hard to figure out the correct formula for that, only that this formula hasn’t done well at it and they don’t change the formula, and historically while wrestling shows do have ups and downs over two hours, they usually grow slightly as the show goes on. Just staying the same for the main event two weeks out of every month at this point should be considered a moral victory.

The TNA pattern that has been that they can get expectations up, people will tune in for a week, maybe two, or maybe 30-45 minutes, for a lot of different new ideas, but they don’t stay. Obviously they aren’t giving those people a product they want to stay for. One of the big problems whether this works for three segments, or three weeks, or even three months, is that it’s still so short-sighted and doesn’t address any long-term issues. TNA is only going to grow by finding, cultivating and creating a new mega star or a group of them. This sounds much easier than it is, but it’s harder when you don’t actually put people in that spot. Guaranteed won’t happen if you’re new main event group features 42-year-old Angle as the young guy in the group. Historically, what company has ever turned its business around for a long-term with a crew of top guys all past 40, some in their 50s? Maybe one older guy mixed in with a group of young guys (Stan Hansen in All Japan in the 90s), but not with no young guys and all old guys.

And if you bring up the NWO, two years and a nosedive out of business should not be what anyone caters to do with their company, even though the people here are so stuck in the past that they remember it as a success even with the obvious evidence of a folded company that in the end it was a short term hotshot that ended in failure.
    You see, I come from a highly-educated university, so when I come and post on this message board, I gotta dumb myself down.

The decision was made to eliminate the taped return of Desmond Wolfe that was done at the tapings before Genesis. He is scheduled to return. The original idea they were using has been changed so they decided not to show previously taped segments that he was involved in. No date as to when, other than it coming soon. He was out with a medical reason that was being kept under wraps. The belief was that it was not concussion related, given that why would TNA keep that quiet since everyone announces concussions and there is no stigma to having them, and his issue was well before Mr. Anderson so it’s not like you don’t want to have two guys having concussions at the same time.

Tara had an MRI done on her right elbow, where she tore ligaments. She will be undergoing physical therapy with hopes it will enable her to avoid surgery.
    You see, I come from a highly-educated university, so when I come and post on this message board, I gotta dumb myself down.

source: Figure Four Wrestling Newsletter;

Angle rushed home to aid fiancee, newborn

Kurt Angle, who was working TNA's European Tour despite the TV angle being that he's fired, rushed home to Pittsburgh Saturday after receiving a call that his pregnant fiancee, Giovanna Yannotti, had passed out and was hospitalized with extremely high blood pressure.

Doctors were concerned enough that they induced labor. The good news is that the child, Giuliana Marie Angle, was fine despite being born three weeks premature. Yannotti, who met Kurt on the set of one of his independent films, was kept overnight but was said to be out of the woods by Sunday. The baby was 5.5 pounds and 18 inches long. Angle posted a message thanking everyone for their concern and thanking God that things turned out all right.

Default Re: TNA News & Notes.....

Impact on 1/28 did a 1.28 rating and 1.93 million viewers. While this was not one of the highest ratings the show has done, it had more viewers per home watching than usual and was the third most watched Thursday night episode of the show. The show did a 1.0 in Males 18-34 and 1.4 in Males 35-49, the latter continues the big upswing in audience the show has delivered in recent weeks.

Impact on 1/28 did a 1.28 rating and 1.93 million viewers. While this was not one of the highest ratings the show has done, it had more viewers per home watching than usual and was the third most watched Thursday night episode of the show. The show did a 1.0 in Males 18-34 and 1.4 in Males 35-49, the latter continues the big upswing in audience the show has delivered in recent weeks.

Christopher Daniels returned in a match not taped for Impact on the 1/31 tapings, under a mask as Suicide. Daniels is under contract to ROH and both sides have worked out a deal.

Daniels will be allowed to work both TVs and house shows for TNA, as long as he wears a mask, until his TNA contract expires. He will be working for both promotions until that time. TNA wanted him back as part of the new doctrine to put more emphasis on the X Division and try and get it hot by the summer. Daniels was the original Suicide in TNA, and they even did an angle where heels would hint it was Daniels, but then Kazarian, the original choice to play Suicide, who got injured, so Daniels took the role, had returned so they did Daniels & Suicide as a team. There had been plans to continue the Suicide character with either Akira Raijin (Kiyoshi) or Kazuchika Okada playing it, but when the video game deal evaporated (Suicide was a character in their video game), it never went anywhere. This kind of a deal may open up the possibility of El Generico also working in the X Division here, as he did well in his tryout match but was under an ROH contract.

The fact ROH wanted Daniels not to use his identity may mean Generico would have to use another name, and there is also the chance TNA, which wants to own the names of its wrestlers and changes their names unless they had a big name known in the U.S., would want him to use a different identity anyway. I should point out that at this point TNA has not done anything in the direction of making any plans to use Generico.

The Destination X show and Victory Road shows being flip-flopped is because the plan is to bolster the X Division and they want it to be a big deal, and it wouldn’t be in the next month or two, but they hope it will be by July when the show is now scheduled.

TNA Impact on 2/3 did a 1.31 rating and 1.95 million viewers. The number of viewers was the second most for TNA on a Thursday even though several shows have done bigger ratings. Due to the Jarrett-Angle storyline, the number of viewers per home has increased significantly over the last 3-4 weeks.

Hernandez is being brought in from TNA on 3/19 so they can do a Kings of Wrestling vs. Homicide & Hernandez non-title tag match on the show at the Manhattan Center.

Bart Scott of the New York Jets was there. He did a wrestling like promo that got a ton of attention leading to the AFC championship game, and then said he was inspired by growing up as a Hulk Hogan fan. He ends up turning heel, siding with Hogan. This led to having Ric Flair threaten Kurt Angle that if he does anything at the wedding, Scott will be the enforcer. This led to Angle using the ankle lock on Scott when Scott went after Kurt when Kurt messed up the wedding.

-- Daffney on her Twitter suggested she'll be filing a worker's comp suit against TNA based on being released and I guess not being compensated for injuries she suffered on the job.

TNA Impact clobbered UFC in a head-to-head television battle on 3/3, although neither promotion considered it as direct competition.

Those in TNA considered the live UFC event from Louisville as among several things, including American Idol and an NBA game involving the Miami Heat and the league’s top television draw, LeBron James, that were going to hurt what, when they first built to the big show with the lawsuit reveal, and the Jarrett wedding, would be among the highest rated shows they had ever done.

The taped wrestling event from Fayetteville, NC, had been heavily promoted like a major PPV. It featured Sting winning the TNA title from Jeff Hardy in a match that was not promoted ahead of time, but was pushed as Hardy vs. a surprise opponent throughout the show.

Impact did a 1.36 rating and 1.85 million viewers. It was the highest rated episode of Impact since the 10/14 show, the first show after Bound for Glory, did a 1.40 rating and 1.90 rating with Rob Van Dam vs. Mr. Anderson on top. It was among the higher ratings in the history of the show although a handful of shows drew larger total audiences as the viewers per home is still down.

UFC on Versus head-to-head did a 0.67 rating and 681,000 viewers, the lowest rated live event in the history of the company. The previous low was on 8/1, also on Versus, headlined by Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko, which did a 0.86 rating and 991,000 viewers. So when it comes to viewers, this was down 31% from the what had been the company’s all-time low for a live show, even behind the 2/26 prelims on Ion that had no advertising behind it (the rating was significantly lower on 2/26 because Ion is available in far more homes than Versus).

When people look at this number, and try to dismiss the rating due to being on Versus, while Versus is a lower rated network than Spike, it misses the point that this was way down from previous UFC live events on Versus, and also below a lot of WEC events over the past few years on the channel.

The idea that people don’t have Versus and therefore the rating is lower misses another point widely misunderstood. The rating on cable is based on the percentage of homes that have the station that are watching the show. If Versus is in 75 million homes, the rating is based on that number. If Spike is in 100 million homes, the rating is based on that number. An 0.67 sucks for a live UFC show, being barely half of last year’s average.

It is still significantly higher than Versus averages, but one would hope a show they spend tons of money for rights would do better than average based on a network that shows tons of rerun programming nightly in prime time.

No matter how you may want to try and spin that UFC number, it’s very bad. The show was barely higher than the final WEC show (0.62 and 615,000 viewers) on the station in December. And when the Stanley Cup finals this year were on Versus, they still averaged more than 3 million viewers per game.
    The key competition was American Idol, which did 26 million viewers in the 9-10 p.m. house going against the first hour of both Impact and UFC; Jersey Shore, which did a 5.4 rating and 7.77 million viewers, and an NBA game featuring the Miami Heat and LeBron James that did a 2.1 rating and 2.72 million viewers.

It wasn’t a big marquee card, but it still was headlined by Diego Sanchez vs. Martin Kampmann, which should have done at least average ratings. Sanchez has headlined three prior live TV shows. He did a 1.51 against Clay Guida, a 1.25 against Joe Riggs and a 1.47 against Karo Parisyan. So two out of three were average to above average. Kampmann headlined once on TV previously, against Carlos Condit, did a 1.36. It was, on paper overall an average level free TV show main event, and Sanchez has good name recognition from being with the promotion as a star since the first season of The Ultimate Fighter in 2005.

Although TNA did edit Hulk Hogan’s “tsunami” comment off Impact this week, they didn’t edit Bully Ray when yelling at Robert Roode saying “Shut up Roode. I’ll bust your ass Roode. I’ll bust your ass you f–.” Luckily GLAAD doesn’t pay attention to TNA or there would be some issues because they even made Dana White apologize, and they got WWE to apologize to them as well for the Cena interview a few weeks back on Rock where he talked about Brokeback Mountain.

Angle, in an interview with Powerslam!, said that in 2006, Undertaker went to Vince McMahon and tried to cancel their No Way Out Match and move it to Mania, where Angle would win the match and break the streak. Angle said Vince turned down the idea. Undertaker beat Batista to win the title at that year’s Mania. For what it’s worth, based on people in the company at the time who would have known, they dispute that version.

Source: Observer;

Spike and TNA announced this week the expansion of the Thursday night wrestling block to three hours, starting 7/12, with the return of “Rewind,” which aired on Spike in late 2010.

The original incarnation of the show, which at the time aired after Impact at 11 p.m., was to recap the show and build for the next show. It was the idea of getting people’s reactions as opposed to traditional promos. The show did decent ratings for the time slot and was generally well received as a new concept. It helped add some depth to a lot of the characters who didn’t get as much interview time on the regular show.

The same people who brought you the TV shows “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” and “Real Housewives of Orange County” is preparing a show called “Real Housewives of Nashville.” Someone close to the show saw the 8x10 head shots of people that they are considering for the cast, and yes, they saw a head shot of Dixie Carter. She’s on their “A” list, which translated, means getting her is of highest priority to the people the show, likely because of her job and that she would have something of a name to some people.

Regarding the possibility of Chris Masters being revealed as one of the masked men who attacked Sting, since this is building a match for Bound for Glory, it should be noted that Masters is booked on a show in Russia the night before Bound for Glory. It’s not impossible he’ll be able to do both, but it’ll be cutting it close.

Several TNA contracts are coming due, including Team 3-D and Velvet Sky. Matt Morgan is apparently through with the company and Ric Flair will be returning to WWE as soon as he is legally able (WWE wanted him on Raw 1,000, but the TNA vs. WWE lawsuit made the impossible).

Interestingly, several performers whose deals are expiring are being approached with new per-appearance deals, which would pay them less than full-time contracts. It is an effort to cut costs, and also perhaps a way to use the WWE/TNA lawsuit as a leverage point to save money.

If WWE is unable to hire anyone from TNA until the suit is settled, anyone from TNA who wants to still appear on national television and make decent money will essentially be forced to accept whatever deal TNA offers. It is believed that WWE would have interest in D-Von, but not necessarily Bubba, since the former is the more well-liked of the two. Bubba is also working as a TNA agent and helps train a lot of guys at the Team 3-D academy, so the company will likely offer him a decent amount of money to stay. Whether there is any interest in Sky is unknown.

WWE would probably give Morgan another chance based on his size, and given his recent interviews one would presume that he presumes they'd bring him back.

Source: PWInsider.com

VELVET SKY COMMENTS ON LEAVING TNA
    by Dave Scherer @ 4:43 PM on 7/26/2012

Velvet Sky posted the following on her Twitter account.
    "I have been granted my release by TNA at this time. It's what's best for me right now and I wanted to thank TNA and all the fans for their constant support in me. Stay tuned though..And I also want to thank Vince Russo for creating and believing in the team of The Beautiful People. We had a great run!"
    “Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball.” ―Pete Hamill

Question Re: TNA News & Notes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Velvet Sky posted the following on her Twitter account.
    "I have been granted my release by TNA at this time. It's what's best for me right now and I wanted to thank TNA and all the fans for their constant support in me. Stay tuned though..And I also want to thank Vince Russo for creating and believing in the team of The Beautiful People. We had a great run!"
    Russo created this?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast